Most insular club in the league

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide I’ve found is up there. They’ve essentially shut out the SA media in favour of basically running as their own media outlet. I think Rucci penned a couple of columns about it in the Addy.

To be fair though their coach seems as engaging as a brick, their co-captain can’t string two words together and the whole organisation is rather bland. Not worth pushing out there too much.

Adelaide can do this stuff themselves which wasn't possible 15 years ago. Meanwhile The Advertiser is dying. Who needs who has flipped.

Adelaide I’ve found is up there. They’ve essentially shut out the SA media in favour of basically running as their own media outlet. I think Rucci penned a couple of columns about it in the Addy.

To be fair though their coach seems as engaging as a brick, their co-captain can’t string two words together and the whole organisation is rather bland. Not worth pushing out there too much.

Are you really considering Rucci a credible source?

the Saints during the 00's were horrific, "the Bubble" what a way to isolate you entire fan base during the best decade of the clubs history.

It can't be a VIC team, the media is too up their asses. On 360 last night, the first 10 minutes were basically a story on Roughead being dropped. Made me think, if Kennedy had been dropped this week, would it have even made a headline? We even said no to doing the GF recall by fox footy. Told them we would do it ourselves and in house. I have never heard of a club doing that before, so WC have to be up there.

Melbourne are oldest club in the game. For a club so old, they are weird how insular they seem. They should be biggest club in the game but barely rate a mention when rivalries are talked about with other clubs from Victoria. That can only be achieved by being so insular. Most other clubs around that length of longevity got up each others noses and created rivalries. How Melbourne lack rivalries shows how insular they have been over such a long time.

I don't know if you're trolling or not but i'll give you the benefit of the doubt, my apologies if you're not after a decent discussion...

The main reason for the lack of rivalries is that unlike all the other Vic clubs Melbourne was a club that grew out of a stadium. All the other clubs were from a suburb and the intense rivalries were born from that. Collingwood and Carlton are great examples of this, 50 years ago the two suburbs were pretty much at war with each other, they hated each other.

Once again my apologies if you were just trolling and not looking for a factual conversation ;)

I don't know if you're trolling or not but i'll give you the benefit of the doubt, my apologies if you're not after a decent discussion...

The main reason for the lack of rivalries is that unlike all the other Vic clubs Melbourne was a club that grew out of a stadium. All the other clubs were from a suburb and the intense rivalries were born from that. Collingwood and Carlton are great examples of this, 50 years ago the two suburbs were pretty much at war with each other, they hated each other.
Weird post but you make a good case how they been insular in maybe more aligned to MCC/MCG than an actual normal club identity as a suburb to start with. It is actually something that may explain it how it does not have same rivalries other clubs have developed with each other.

Weird post but you make a good case how they been insular in maybe more aligned to MCC/MCG than an actual normal club identity as a suburb to start with. It is actually something that may explain it how it does not have same rivalries other clubs have developed with each other.

The other historical problem with Melbourne was the fact that is was run by the MCC and was easily the last club to embrace professionalism, so in that aspect it was definitely insular.

Of course the main reason why we don't have any modern rivalries is because we've been ordinary since the 60's. There's nothing losing a GF to another clubs to develop a strong hatred

Adelaide can do this stuff themselves which wasn't possible 15 years ago. Meanwhile The Advertiser is dying. Who needs who has flipped.

Yeah but if the club completely controls the message truth can go out the window and it purely becomes propaganda. Whilst journalism isn't what it used to be, the fourth estate still needs to play a role in keeping entities honest.

Melbourne are oldest club in the game. For a club so old, they are weird how insular they seem. They should be biggest club in the game but barely rate a mention when rivalries are talked about with other clubs from Victoria. That can only be achieved by being so insular. Most other clubs around that length of longevity got up each others noses and created rivalries. How Melbourne lack rivalries shows how insular they have been over such a long time.
Both Melbourne and Collingwood had two days each of full external media access for a day during prelim week.

WA media is minor league compared to Vic
Having lived in both it really isn’t.

West Coast dominate WA media in a way that no one Victorian side does. The acknowledgment of interstate sides for both is on pretty much an even keel. It’s the Dockers that get shafted really.

100% you do. Poor Fremantle barely get a look in, let alone any of the other sixteen teams.

You do it well though so all the more power to you.
We aren’t bad at it, but certain Vic teams have done it better for longer as shown by our trial by the media yes even the WA media compared to /injunctions :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Western Bulldogs are notoriously private when it comes to the media. Our version of training updates are random photos of people kicking. A lot of the coaching staff outright refuse interviews. Even just look at the relationship between Bevo and Damien Barrett for an idea of how much some of those involved with our club like dealing with the media
Barrett just goes at Bevo non stop. I know Bevos brother very well and he just says that LB does not handle that stuff at all well and has zero tolerance. It’s almost like he is still coaching St Bedes, he is that laid back. Not that it’s a bad thing btw.

Hawthorn's weekly medical reports spring to mind.

We've had blokes on 'back in 1 -2 weeks' that we have been in that position for 15 years !!
What about Melbourne?

‘Yeah Viney will be off legs whilst we de-load his foot, looking at 2 weeks’ Next thing you know that gets dragged out to 8-10 weeks and the response is ‘He has just had some setbacks when we’ve loaded him up’.

Either we are incompetent (which I think is the case at times) or we just all pull a weekly excuse out of Max Rookes beard and see which one sounds the most plausible.

I agree bit not necessarily for those reasons. They've only shut out the local rag, not all media. And that's fair enough - the Murdoch press isn't exactly quality. They've been quite open with the Age and Fox Footy for example. Don't confuse a closed shop with lack of interest from Victorian media. It's just not a newsworthy club most of the time.

Where the club is insular is internal appointments. There are ex players everywhere - in the coaches box, in the board room, running Footy Ops - and many of those appointments are questionable. Not sure many of them would be employed by other clubs.

Phil Walsh had started to break that down. He would have transformed the club, given the chance.

I agree bit not necessarily for those reasons. They've only shut out the local rag, not all media. And that's fair enough - the Murdoch press isn't exactly quality. They've been quite open with the Age and Fox Footy for example. Don't confuse a closed shop with lack of interest from Victorian media. It's just not a newsworthy club most of the time.

Where the club is insular is internal appointments. There are ex players everywhere - in the coaches box, in the board room, running Footy Ops - and many of those appointments are questionable. Not sure many of them would be employed by other clubs.

Phil Walsh had started to break that down. He would have transformed the club, given the chance.
When i think insular i think about club appointments from within.

As you say Adelaide seems to have a very large number of old boys in key positions who are seemingly fortunate to hold down those jobs.

100% you do. Poor Fremantle barely get a look in, let alone any of the other sixteen teams.

You do it well though so all the more power to you.

I was driving from Perth to Bunbury the day Cousins was delisted from the Eagles, and I was stunned at the media. I was listening to 6pr and they had a live update from training, noting cousins wasn't on the track. Then it was hours of cousins watch and nothing else got a mention. China could have nuked Tokyo, and it would have only got coverage if cousins was planning to go there

What about Melbourne?

‘Yeah Viney will be off legs whilst we de-load his foot, looking at 2 weeks’ Next thing you know that gets dragged out to 8-10 weeks and the response is ‘He has just had some setbacks when we’ve loaded him up’.

Either we are incompetent (which I think is the case at times) or we just all pull a weekly excuse out of Max Rookes beard and see which one sounds the most plausible.
Most clubs do that to some extent. We have a standing joke on the Swans board about the default “4-6 weeks” announcement that inevitably follows a player’s injury.

Some continue to mistake that for the club not knowing what they are doing. I would argue they know exactly what they are doing, they simply elect not to tell their supporters or the media.

Yeah but if the club completely controls the message truth can go out the window and it purely becomes propaganda. Whilst journalism isn't what it used to be, the fourth estate still needs to play a role in keeping entities honest.

Very true. Certainly for sports Organisations, but even more so for Government, Religious & Business entities. The harsh sunlight of public exposure tends to keep the honesty & integrity levels up. ;)

On a national scale, West Coast have been a closed shop for decades.

Locally it’s all very stage managed but the club itself is certainly not in the game of seeking out media attention.

There are no ‘external voices’ that promote their own agenda about the club (something a lot of the big Vic clubs do contend with).

Goes back to Malthouse days really - I remember reading a Patrick Smith article in the mid 90s that basically said ‘Don’t bother asking, they’ll give you nothing and keep you at arms length’.

The only answer is Port Adelaide. It's not really that their anti-social, they genuinely dont give a rats arse if you're not part if the tribe.
Depends on the context.
If by insular you mean not recognising the achievements of other clubs then no you're not correct.

If you mean very single minded, one eyed etc, when it comes to the team the Port supporters follow then yes, but that is a good thing not a bad one.

To answer this you'd have to have dealings with all 18 clubs wouldn't you?

Having said that I have had dealings with 4 or 5 clubs over the past say 5-10 years, through sponsorship, media opps, player/coach interviews and clubroom visits etc

Surprisingly, of these I found the Bulldogs to be the least helpful or open, and to be honest a bit closed off and even suspicious of outsiders. Not a great approach when you have such a small supporter and sponsorship base.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back