Most memorable Grand final memories excluding your own team

Remove this Banner Ad

1977 draw. First ever telecast gf, in colour and it's a draw. That wobbly old flat punt from Twiggy Dunne. I can remember the score of the draw without even looking it up. 10.16 to 9.22, Briedis kicked 0.7 in the draw and 5 goals in the replay.

1979 Harmes in the pocket.

1980 Hungry Bartlett with 7.

1984 Essendon storm home.

1985 Dermie kicked 8 in a flogging.

1990 Quarter time punch on.

1991 At Waverley, Angry and the Batmobile.

1993 The Baby Bombers.

1997 and 1998 Adelaide b2b for the club's first flags. Jarman, McLeod and Shane Ellen.

1999 Because for some reason Essendon s**t themselves the week before.

2000 Easy win and almost a perfect season

2001 - 2003 3peat, Aker, Black, Voss

2004 Club's first ever flag.

2005 Sydney drought breaker

2010 Heath Shaw smother. Goddar and Hayes last quarters.

2012 Mitch Morton cameo

2013 - 2015 3peat

2016 Footscray drought breaker

2017 Richmond drought breaker

The drawn gf Pies Saints. Amazing scenes.

Alastair Lynch barely getting a kick then swinging haymakers at Wakelin in the 2004 GF. The fall of an empire.

1993 - 2000: My memory is very vague. Supposedly my family and I went to one of my Aunt's places over the other side of town. Can vaguely remember the Demons playing the GF in 2000, but can't quite remember watching it. To be fair I was only 6 years old. Also have very fuzzy memories of the 99' GF.

2001 - 2003: Fairly good memory of these. Cheering on the Lions for my brother who goes for them. Brown, Black, Leppitsch, Lappin, Voss, Akermanis & Bradshaw were all beasts. My brother won a bunch of money in the 01' GF and he picked Lions by 27 (I told him to pick 26 which was the final margin). We either watched these at the same Aunt's place over the other side of town, or at the milk bar my grandparents owned.

2004: We definitely watched this one over the other side of town at my Aunt's. Can remember my brother being super shattered that his team didn't get the 4peat.

2005 - 2006: I think this may have been when we started watching the GF at my late Aunt and her partner's house. Ripping Grand Finals because they were decided by 1 point each. Underwhelming in the way that it was all Non-Vic.

2007: Definitely at my late Aunt's house. Absolute shitfest of a game. Boring as to watch. Pretty sure I ended up going and playing her PS2 if I recall correctly with some of the other youngsters that were there that day.

2008 - 2011: Definitely watched all of these at home with my immediate family. My brother won even more money for picking the exact margin and winner of 08'. We were cheering on St. Kilda massively in their grand finals due to my Nana going for the Sainters. They were definitely robbed in 10' and the following week was an absolute joke. Remember switching it off and driving my cousin back home to Altona.

2012 - 2015: These were all at my mate Matt's house. Also 2011 may have been the start of the Annual GF Drinking Game that I've been creating each year. Unfortunately his old man was a Hawks supporter who came home after all of the 3peat bragging. Otherwise had some good BBQs at his joint. Pretty much cheered on the underdog each time.

2016 - 2017: Again cheering on the underdog, and probably some of my favourite Grand Finals of them all. Moved the venue to my house for these. The Annual Drinking Game continued with most of us ending up blotto by the end. Also had some bets on some of these, a handful of which got up.

2018: Very hopeful that the Dees will get there this year, as I finally feel we're headed in the right direction. If we make it, I'll be there. Otherwise, it'll either end up at my joint or at my mate's house that he just bought (first of all my mates to afford one which I suppose is hard when the housing market has been decimated by the baby boomers and the Chinese).

As an Eagles fan, I shouldn't, but Leo Barry's mark in 2005 was epic and I couldn't help but feel happy for the success starved Swans fans in the pub where I was watching. It was like when Pat Rafter lost the Wimbledon final to Goran Ivanisevic. You didn't want him to lose but you couldn't be mad at the other guy for winning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Morris’s tackle on Buddy (done with a broken vertebrae towards the end of the game), Boyd’s kick and celebration. Awesome.

But my abiding memory will be the tram ride back to the cbd to celebrate. Lots of noise obviously but I was standing and looked down across from me to the seats where three bulldogs fans in their sixties or seventies just looked so happy. It meant so much to everyone, which is why club loyalties aside I hope the saints and demons get up soon.

Non bulldogs one was the hawks pummelling the swans. I’m not a fan of Bruce but his commentary was good that day, they’ve never been that good before or since - maybe nobody in recent history has either.

Tom Boyd kicking that bouncing goal outside 50 courtesy of a Dale Morris tackle on Buddy in 2016. I think that's when the Dogs sensed they'd won the game.

Malceski's winner in 2012. I distinctly remember everyone barracking for the Swans that day, so everyone lost their minds when he kicked it.

Stuart Dew's third quarter heroics in 2008.

1998....start of the 3rd quarter.....Andrew Macleod moved onto the ball... and took the game away from North Melbourne.

2016..... Dale Morris chasing and tackling Buddy in the last quarter... led to Boyd's goal.

1997.... Austin Jones running down the wing, and kicking his great goal at the Punt Rd end.

Last edited:
I remember watching this live, and just being amazed by his audacity to just stand there, during a grand final, and nail it like an NFL punter.

When Hodge nailed that i knew we had our threepeat

Morris’s tackle on Buddy (done with a broken vertebrae towards the end of the game), Boyd’s kick and celebration. Awesome.

But my abiding memory will be the tram ride back to the cbd to celebrate. Lots of noise obviously but I was standing and looked down across from me to the seats where three bulldogs fans in their sixties or seventies just looked so happy. It meant so much to everyone, which is why club loyalties aside I hope the saints and demons get up soon.

Non bulldogs one was the hawks pummelling the swans. I’m not a fan of Bruce but his commentary was good that day, they’ve never been that good before or since - maybe nobody in recent history has either.

2014 grand final performance by the Hawks was just the complete performance.
Trying to be objective Ive never seen a team play like that and doubt I will again.
Agree that Bruce was on point that day.

I was there in 2016 and the Tom Boyd moment was something very special. Glad to have been there!

Sydney 2012 is the one time a second team won a flag not involving my side. I watched a big screen on mute from about 30m away at work, was ecstatic.

2002 stands out as a refreshing nailbiter following an era of mostly comfortable wins. It was unusual to have the game still undecided in the final eighth of the match, setting a standard for the Ten era.

2008 is the only GF I ever attended. Standing room, attended with some Hawks fans and Cats fans, got the Hodge NS bet, jumped the boundary fence post-match, the unforgettable subdued shock of Cats fans, etc.

The Hawks in 2014 is the most awe-inspiring Grand Final performance I've ever seen, and then the Tom Jones post-match was perfect. Disappointing given my Swans enthusiasm, but objectively a fantastic GF display.

Watching in the early morning from a bar in Munich, Germany. About 6 pints deep by this point. About 200 Australians there. 4 Swans jumpers and 2 Dogs jumpers. EVERYONE not in those 4 Swans jumpers going for the Dogs. As this goal went through I jumped from my stool at the bar and everyone in the general area did the same, hi-fiving and hugging. All strangers. Was just an unbelievable moment. Also knowing my old man back in Australia who has gone for the Dogs his whole life was watching them win the first flag of his lifetime.

Proceeded to drink for about 2 hours after the game. Met Jarrod from the Bachelor (before he was on The Bachelor). He hit on my girlfriend. Must have a thing for girls called Sophie.
Stumbled back to the hostel via McDonalds which I have about 1% memory of. Had drunk adult time with the girlfriend which I have about 7% memory of. Fell asleep around midday. Woke up at 4:30 in the afternoon hungover wondering if everything had been a wonderful dream.

1996 and 1997Freeborns and Halls 3 goal 2nd qtrs in the 96 and 97 Grannys
1997 Jarman's last term and Shane Ellens 5 goal haul { Ellen is a FB who started FF }
1998 Norths 6.15 first half, then Jarman and the Crows epic 2nd half and Smart's raking kick from outside 50 that sealed it.

2002 - Aka's match sealing goal. Was a corker.
2003 - Brown's goal I believe from the boundary. Maybe it was Aka not sure.
2004 - port running away with what was an awesome game for 3 qtrs.
2005 - Epic arm wrestle and tale of two halves
2006 - refer above
2010 - draw and milne bounce
2012 - Best Granf Final I've seen. Jetta out running Rioli, Malceski sealer. Morton's goals and swans 2nd term. Jizz worthy.
2014 - lol
2015 - hodge's goal, rioli killing it and eagles choking getting hit on the turn over multiple times.
2016 - EPPPPPPPPPPPPPICCCCCCCCCCC. As a neutral probably the most satisfaction and excitement I've had from another team. In fact, by a country mile.
2017 - Not far off the above. Well done Tige's. A truly terrific Tiger Tale:)

Watching in the early morning from a bar in Munich, Germany. About 6 pints deep by this point. About 200 Australians there. 4 Swans jumpers and 2 Dogs jumpers. EVERYONE not in those 4 Swans jumpers going for the Dogs. As this goal went through I jumped from my stool at the bar and everyone in the general area did the same, hi-fiving and hugging. All strangers. Was just an unbelievable moment. Also knowing my old man back in Australia who has gone for the Dogs his whole life was watching them win the first flag of his lifetime.

Proceeded to drink for about 2 hours after the game. Met Jarrod from the Bachelor (before he was on The Bachelor). He hit on my girlfriend. Must have a thing for girls called Sophie.
Stumbled back to the hostel via McDonalds which I have about 1% memory of. Had drunk adult time with the girlfriend which I have about 7% memory of. Fell asleep around midday. Woke up at 4:30 in the afternoon hungover wondering if everything had been a wonderful dream.

winning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back