Autopsy Most of us gave up a beautiful Sunday afternoon on a long weekend to watch that - Autopsy vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright just had a good 30 minutes to walk and converse with my partner with where we are at.

She’s a crows supporter and likened a lot of what she saw from us yesterday to them in 19/20 and you’ve seen what they now have done the last few weeks with a bit of patience and time together.

Only difference I see is that they’ve got 27 year old midfielders playing the lynchpin roles compared to our younger group of top draftees.

Right now we are at the absolute bottom of the curve, we need to spend the rest of the year working out who can play AFL standard footy in different positions. Yesterday noble commented that they trialled Thomas at half back in the last quarter. That should be his absolute starting point.

The balance is in the structural components from a leadership perspective. Right now we’ve got a mix of older blokes and some real young individuals sub 40games that look talented. The problem is trying to maintain that morale whilst working out who fits at AFL level. We can’t just go alright Turner you’re not the future bring in goater, as we need that balance of older players.

Afaic walker and Turner are the first old blokes to go, closely followed by Ziebell, goldy and corr. But the fact of the matter is we can’t tip this balance too much further because that will erode confidence even further. What you’d kill for Anderson and Cunnington to help add a little bit of extra leadership right now, with the caveat that they don’t play those key roles, we have to find other positions to help blood the midfielders.

This will take 2 more years until we can finally say fu** look how far we’ve come, and in the meantime they need to keep the balance right and keep the guns focused on the buy in so we don’t lose any of that top end talent, but we need to get the mix right.

Plethora of small forwards so let’s look to building the defensive pieces.
Locks:
Mckay
Mcdonald
Perez
Thomas

They are my starting four - mcdonald and McKay are playing the best footy they have, Perez looks very comfortable at the level, and every other side has an elite distributor off half back. Tarryn has the aggression and physical attributes as well as the silk to do this role.

Potentials:
Young
Bonar

I like what young does defensively, it’s just that he’s susceptible to cooking it ball in hand occasionally, but there is a lot to work with there, and we need versatility for the mix of small and medium forwards that most teams run with now. Bonar I like defensively but needs a consistent run at it.

Older stop gaps:
Corr
Walker

We can’t play with both of these blokes in the side - fu** one of them off and that has to be walker.

Defensively we need 3 more players that can play at AFL level - clearly at least one key position and then depending on the opposition mix either 2 smalls or an extra tall. We aren’t quick enough or skilled enough to have 3 talls every week.

Opportunity here for some of the young fellas to come through if they want it!

Mids:
This is a real interesting dynamic, we lack defensive runners on the outside, whilst we have enough ball winners on the inside. Key is getting the mix right so we can attack the inside of a stoppage and defend the outside. Look at the runners Melbourne have that get back defensively and work the other way to help out. We seriously lack that.

Locks:
Inside
JHF
LDU
Simpkin

Outside:
-

Really lack AFL quality on the outside here. Need to draft or find two hard running wingman that can help us on the outside. Overall need to get fitter as a group. Noble stated our side are the worst and slowest 50-50 running side in the comp when he arrived and nothing has changed there.

Potential:
Inside
Phillips

Outside
Powell
Taylor
Stephenson
Goater
Lazzaro

Loads of potential here - Phillips will be a lock in no time and I’d argue that with Taylor’s last few weeks he has his eye on that defensive wing role - pushing back and being an outlet. I’d look at both powell and goater and say hey lads this is your opportunity, train them to be high intensity running mids and get them busting a gut and working hard on the outside. Stephenson has all the tools to be an AFL standard wingman but I do wonder if we opt to play him more as a forward.

Older stop gaps:
Cunnington
Anderson
Greenwood

These blokes provide a stopgap for the next two years whilst the midfielders step up and take it all by the scruff of the neck. This is where the dynamic is hard for us currently. If cunners and Anderson were fit you’d easily have them protecting the young ones while they develop, over a Turner or someone like Atu. It sucks but it would help our development drastically if these blokes were around to instil some much needed confidence.

Ruck: really difficult one, as goldy needs to be in the side to chop out Xerri but is no good forward. X is the number 1 going forward but just needs to keep getting the km’s under his belt. His stoppage to stoppage running will be the thing that holds him back, and if he’s fitter you’ll see those grabs start sticking.

Goldy is a real difficult one, I’m in the camp that he’s never been a leader as such more of a do it on his terms and work as hard as he can solo. We are at a time where we need a versatile ruckman who can play forward and then chop out when X needs a break. Unfortunately goldy doesn’t do this well enough up forward. Tough call to make but we need to transition him out of the side to make sure we can get the mix right, incredibly difficult way to handle a champion but we’ve done it worse in the past.

Forward line:
Locks:
Larkey

- only bloke that is an absolute lock is Larkey, put him in the square and anyone else that plays with him needs to learn how to either crumb or decent leading patterns to work together. Right now we’ve got goldy, Ziebell, Zurhaar and Larkey all competing for the ball in the air.

Potential:
Zurhaar
Ford
Curtis
Comben
CCJ
Mahony

There’s so much unknown here but some genuine potential talent. Zurhaar plays taller and works better when it’s just himself and larkey, they get in and out and actually create space for each other. He’s getting stifled with Ziebell and goldy down there and having to get up the ground which means when the ball actually hits the deck that pressure that he would regularly bring is non existent because he’s too far up the ground. Ford and Curtis look excellent at both ground level and in the air, play them now for the rest of the year and just ask them to pressure and move all the time, get in and out and create space for each other.

I’d argue we need one more key forward that can ruck. CCJ is a better ruckman than comben, conversely comben and Larkey are a better forward combo. Can comben ruck? Who knows but if he can then he just needs to stay fit. His aggression and follow up is huge. Alternatively, does Chom have a role at CHB? CCJ looked pretty decent one out as a ruckman, so does he then have to battle X for the number one spot. Lots of potential here.

Mahony I was all for as a pressure linkup mid forward - patch Adam’s esque, but he’s fumbling and doesn’t hit the scoreboard enough. If you can tackle 8 times a game and kick 1-2 goals a game that’s more dangerous than where his game is atm. We seriously lack crumbers right now as we have to work so far up the ground because the defenders can’t move the ball with skill, and then when we finally get an entry - the oppo defenders have held their depth and we are often outnumbered.

An extra zippy small forward wouldn’t be out of the question in the draft.

Overall this is where I’m at with our squad and seeing who’s up to it and who isn’t. Blokes named are locks at the moment when you think about where we need to be by the end of the year. This core need to play every week together

B:perez Mckay ????
Chb: Thomas ???? McDonald
C: Taylor (on his last two weeks) LDU ????
CHF ???? ???? Zurhaar
FF Ford Larkey ????
R: Xerri JHF Simpkin
INT: Phillips ???? ???? ????

I’ve got literally 9 spots here for players that aren’t injured and are either potentially AFL level or are older stop gaps.

Back pocket - Bonar vs Young vs corr
CHB - Chom vs corr vs walker

Wing - powell vs goater vs Stephenson vs lazzaro

Half forward - 2 of Curtis vs mahony vs Stephenson
CHF - Chom vs CCJ vs goldy

Interchange - two mids, one defender, one forward

Then the likes of Goldy, Cunners, Anderson, Greenwood, Ziebell fit in around these blokes to add the support.

Haven’t included some of the younger fellas like Bergman, edwards, archer, spicer because I haven’t seen enough of them. Atu, Kayne, Scott, and walker I’ve seen enough.

Lots to unpack but we’ve got to find out sooner rather than later if the likes of powell, lazzaro, CCJ, Comben can make that a core of 14 players that are up to scratch. Then we trade and draft for the remaining spots.
With all due respect there's all of 12 months age between Anderson and McDonald. Why is one a has-been stop gap and the other a lock?

With all due respect there's all of 12 months age between Anderson and McDonald. Why is one a has-been stop gap and the other a lock?

Look at the list demographic. Mcdonald and Anderson play different parts of the ground and mcdonald is the best defender we have.

I’d have on potential Anderson behind LDU, simpkin, JHF and you would hope that with continuity Phillips. That’s fifth in line as an inside mid, and Anderson doesn’t have enough strings to play as a forward.

That’s why he’s a stopgap

Is there an Army comparison for where mid level command is not working or effective enough but still a sense the troops are too young to bridge the leadership gaps on the ground?

Are there any genuine comparisons in that sense? Like to hear your thoughts.
Yes there definitely is. I will liken the club to an infantry rifle company. If we think of the Senior, Reserve and under 18s teams as your platoons. The coaches and vice coaches as platoon commander and platoon sergeant. The onfield leaders are the corporals/lance-corporals who physically get among the action and inspire and directly lead the troops during the fighting. The platoon commander builds the battle plan and inspires and motivates by his/her example and must never show favourtism. Their decisions must ultimately be focussed on achieving the mission without fear or favour. Sometimes their decisions aren't popular with the troops, but they are always part of a much bigger plan to ultimately achieve the company commanders objective. The platoon sergeant works closely and intimately with the corporals to ensure that the corporals have everything that they and their troops need in terms of resources and training. The Army does'nt just train its troops in war fighting skills, there's a heavy empasis on physical training, mental resiliance, adventurous training which is designed to push individuals out of their comfort zones to discover new personal limits well beyond what many realise that they had. There are many dimensions to training, motivating and resilience. If any one of the leaders fails to perform they are either retrained, counselled or removed and replaced. There's no room for continued poor performance or failure. As one Warrant Officer put to me many years ago when we were reviewing one of our corporals, "How long are we going to keep watering a tree that refuses to grow"?

When you look at the age of the club compared with a modern rifle company, the demographic is almost identical. The average age across most Australian infantry companies is 23-24.

Last edited:

How many times have we heard this story? First gamer playing against us is the next potential megastar?

What a laugh. I actually watched this kid and he will get slaughtered against an AFL quality opponent.

He actually won free kicks because of his lack of strength in the contest, which shows the state of current umpiring.

If there is one thing this club is good for, it’s a nice team to debut your players against.

He's a honest footballer but stuffed if I can see what led to him being drafted so high. He looks a rookie list type conveyance.
Just doesn't at this point have any weapons to worry other teams. A great footy brain is not enough.
Looks a real Hrovat type.
Hrovats a pretty good comparison. Undersized battler with a few smarts but no supporting outstanding attributes to compliment his game. For all the whipping of Turner's current form he showed more in his early games.

Alright just had a good 30 minutes to walk and converse with my partner with where we are at.

She’s a crows supporter and likened a lot of what she saw from us yesterday to them in 19/20 and you’ve seen what they now have done the last few weeks with a bit of patience and time together.

Only difference I see is that they’ve got 27 year old midfielders playing the lynchpin roles compared to our younger group of top draftees.

Right now we are at the absolute bottom of the curve, we need to spend the rest of the year working out who can play AFL standard footy in different positions. Yesterday noble commented that they trialled Thomas at half back in the last quarter. That should be his absolute starting point.

The balance is in the structural components from a leadership perspective. Right now we’ve got a mix of older blokes and some real young individuals sub 40games that look talented. The problem is trying to maintain that morale whilst working out who fits at AFL level. We can’t just go alright Turner you’re not the future bring in goater, as we need that balance of older players.

Afaic walker and Turner are the first old blokes to go, closely followed by Ziebell, goldy and corr. But the fact of the matter is we can’t tip this balance too much further because that will erode confidence even further. What you’d kill for Anderson and Cunnington to help add a little bit of extra leadership right now, with the caveat that they don’t play those key roles, we have to find other positions to help blood the midfielders.

This will take 2 more years until we can finally say fu** look how far we’ve come, and in the meantime they need to keep the balance right and keep the guns focused on the buy in so we don’t lose any of that top end talent, but we need to get the mix right.

Locks:
Mckay
Mcdonald
Perez
Thomas

They are my starting four - mcdonald and McKay are playing the best footy they have, Perez looks very comfortable at the level, and every other side has an elite distributor off half back. Tarryn has the aggression and physical attributes as well as the silk to do this role.

Potentials:
Young
Bonar

I like what young does defensively, it’s just that he’s susceptible to cooking it ball in hand occasionally, but there is a lot to work with there, and we need versatility for the mix of small and medium forwards that most teams run with now. Bonar I like defensively but needs a consistent run at it.

Older stop gaps:
Corr
Walker

We can’t play with both of these blokes in the side - fu** one of them off and that has to be walker.

Defensively we need 3 more players that can play at AFL level - clearly at least one key position and then depending on the opposition mix either 2 smalls or an extra tall. We aren’t quick enough or skilled enough to have 3 talls every week.

Mids:
This is a real interesting dynamic, we lack defensive runners on the outside, whilst we have enough ball winners on the inside. Key is getting the mix right so we can attack the inside of a stoppage and defend the outside. Look at the runners Melbourne have that get back defensively and work the other way to help out. We seriously lack that.

Locks:
Inside
JHF
LDU
Simpkin

Outside:
-

Really lack AFL quality on the outside here. Need to draft or find two hard running wingman that can help us on the outside. Overall need to get fitter as a group. Noble stated our side are the worst and slowest 50-50 running side in the comp when he arrived and nothing has changed there.

Potential:
Inside
Phillips

Outside
Powell
Taylor
Stephenson
Goater
Lazzaro

Loads of potential here - Phillips will be a lock in no time and I’d argue that with Taylor’s last few weeks he has his eye on that defensive wing role - pushing back and being an outlet. I’d look at both powell and goater and say hey lads this is your opportunity, train them to be high intensity running mids and get them busting a gut and working hard on the outside. Stephenson has all the tools to be an AFL standard wingman but I do wonder if we opt to play him more as a forward.

Older stop gaps:
Cunnington
Anderson
Greenwood

These blokes provide a stopgap for the next two years whilst the midfielders step up and take it all by the scruff of the neck. This is where the dynamic is hard for us currently. If cunners and Anderson were fit you’d easily have them protecting the young ones while they develop, over a Turner or someone like Atu. It sucks but it would help our development drastically if these blokes were around to instil some much needed confidence.

Ruck: really difficult one, as goldy needs to be in the side to chop out Xerri but is no good forward. X is the number 1 going forward but just needs to keep getting the km’s under his belt. His stoppage to stoppage running will be the thing that holds him back, and if he’s fitter you’ll see those grabs start sticking.

Goldy is a real difficult one, I’m in the camp that he’s never been a leader as such more of a do it on his terms and work as hard as he can solo. We are at a time where we need a versatile ruckman who can play forward and then chop out when X needs a break. Unfortunately goldy doesn’t do this well enough up forward. Tough call to make but we need to transition him out of the side to make sure we can get the mix right, incredibly difficult way to handle a champion but we’ve done it worse in the past.

Forward line:
Locks:
Larkey

- only bloke that is an absolute lock is Larkey, put him in the square and anyone else that plays with him needs to learn how to either crumb or decent leading patterns to work together. Right now we’ve got goldy, Ziebell, Zurhaar and Larkey all competing for the ball in the air.

Potential:
Zurhaar
Ford
Curtis
Comben
CCJ
Mahony

There’s so much unknown here but some genuine potential talent. Zurhaar plays taller and works better when it’s just himself and larkey, they get in and out and actually create space for each other. He’s getting stifled with Ziebell and goldy down there and having to get up the ground which means when the ball actually hits the deck that pressure that he would regularly bring is non existent because he’s too far up the ground. Ford and Curtis look excellent at both ground level and in the air, play them now for the rest of the year and just ask them to pressure and move all the time, get in and out and create space for each other.

I’d argue we need one more key forward that can ruck. CCJ is a better ruckman than comben, conversely comben and Larkey are a better forward combo. Can comben ruck? Who knows but if he can then he just needs to stay fit. His aggression and follow up is huge. Alternatively, does Chom have a role at CHB? CCJ looked pretty decent one out as a ruckman, so does he then have to battle X for the number one spot. Lots of potential here.

Mahony I was all for as a pressure linkup mid forward - patch Adam’s esque, but he’s fumbling and doesn’t hit the scoreboard enough. If you can tackle 8 times a game and kick 1-2 goals a game that’s more dangerous than where his game is atm. We seriously lack crumbers right now as we have to work so far up the ground because the defenders can’t move the ball with skill, and then when we finally get an entry - the oppo defenders have held their depth and we are often outnumbered.

Overall this is where I’m at with our squad and seeing who’s up to it and who isn’t. Blokes named are locks at the moment when you think about where we need to be by the end of the year. This core need to play every week together

B: Perez Mckay ????
CHF ???? ???? Zurhaar
FF Ford Larkey ????

I’ve got literally 9 spots here for players that aren’t injured and are either potentially AFL level or are older stop gaps.

Then the likes of Goldy, Cunners, Anderson, Greenwood, Ziebell fit in around these blokes to add the support.

Haven’t included some of the younger fellas like Bergman, edwards, archer, spicer because I haven’t seen enough of them. Atu, Kayne, Scott, and walker I’ve seen enough.

Lots to unpack but we’ve got to find out sooner rather than later if the likes of powell, lazzaro, CCJ, Comben can make that a core of 14 players that are up to scratch. Then we trade and draft for the remaining spots.

LDU will never be a winger, swap him and Jy around.

The only locks I see are

Backs - Mckay, McDonald
Mids - Hornet, LDU
Forwards - Larkey

Obviously TT, Powell etc will find their groove but they arnt 'locks' anywhere atm imo.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The only locks I see are

Backs - Mckay, McDonald
Mids - Hornet, LDU
Forwards - Larkey

Obviously TT, Powell etc will find their groove but they arnt 'locks' anywhere atm imo.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeh I’ve got LDU as a centreman here, and listed under the locks as an inside mid.

Locks:
Mckay
Mcdonald
Perez
Thomas

Potentials:
Young
Bonar

Older stop gaps:
Corr
Walker

Mids:

Locks:
Inside
JHF
LDU
Simpkin

Outside:
-

Potential:
Inside
Phillips

Outside
Powell
Taylor
Stephenson
Goater
Lazzaro

Older stop gaps:
Cunnington
Anderson
Greenwood

Forward line:
Locks:
Larkey

Potential:
Zurhaar
Ford
Curtis
Comben
CCJ
Mahony

B: Perez Mckay ????
CHF ???? ???? Zurhaar
FF Ford Larkey ????

Chom will be the best forward we currently have on our list

He's a honest footballer but stuffed if I can see what led to him being drafted so high. He looks a rookie list type conveyance.
Just doesn't at this point have any weapons to worry other teams. A great footy brain is not enough.
Looks a real Hrovat type.
But U18 SC score?!?!?

Long term I kind of agree. I'd like to see Jy add to his running and provide defensive cover as well as I think his career will be longer in a role like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was happy to see Paul Curtis efforts finally rewarded with a goal, especially with our defenders making geelong debuton ollie dempsey look like the 150 game version of Malcolm Blight up the other end of the ground.
Don't even get me started on Dempsey, pretty sure I was sat in the same bay as 40 of his family members, ******* heard about him all day. He got a good ride with the umps too, saw him doing a lot of holding and blocking off the ball.

First gamer

He actually won free kicks because of his lack of strength in the contest, which shows the state of current umpiring.
I noticed the same. He was brushed aside a couple of times early and was gifted frees for being soft. Yet the pushes he dished out late in the game that should have been paid were let go.

Not that it changed the outcome but he could have ended up with hardly any posessions if the umps were fair dinkum.

Very simply;

Coaching isn't the problem, and it's doing my head in that some people are clamoring for us to have our 4th (and 5th? if there's a caretaker) head coach in 3 years.
DN won’t be coaching this club, it’s just a matter of when!

Anyone thinking this crap isn’t a coaching issue is burying their head in the sand.

Anyone with eyes can see that these players have no belief in what they are being asked to do, simply through their half arsed efforts.
Spot on

Lucky for me I did have something else to achieve on Sunday. Was mildly successful bit like kicking five in the last after you managed 4 in 3 quarters.
28 scoring shots to 9 at 3 quarter time. The match day thread would have been a hoot.
80 turnovers to go with 320 disposals- so I figure we turned the ball over every fourth disposal? Sheesh and shiver me timbers.
Why would you have a fourth disposal in the chain? We need to learn from that.
I also out of interest looked at the individual player stats. If we had be able to have some part-time North football employees have 9, 10, 17, 18 disposals we'd have had 7 through 23 covered. That would have been neat n tidy.
But we had too many sitting on 16, oh well.

Not much more to add other than Eddie Ford had only 7 less disposals than Turner, not suggesting that Eddie should be happy with that. It shows he's probably not far away from a breakout game, as Turner is one of our leaders so that's a positive.

Going by stats I'd give a us a B-.

I have a good feeling about next game and think we may just get ourselves a B.

We are a shambles. Structure is a failure. Only full on intent I saw out there today was from a first gamer in Paul Curtis and Hornet in the second half. The rest have zero confidence. Dont know what David Noble is doing? Jy Simpkin should be dropped. He's getting possessions but fumbling and I dont see him moving around urging our young players to lift.
Spot on!

Dancing jy

There’s probably a lot worse yet to come which is the sad thing. There’s no quick fix for this, we don’t have the cattle on the list to change much, we don’t have the trade capital to go and fill some gaps with quality players at the end of the year, and any kids we bring in via the draft would be years away from changing anything themselves. Get ready for more pain, we are s**t and will be for a while yet.
Still?

Turner should be delisted. Why he was given a leadership spot I don't get.

There were players with better ability that got delisted before him. Certain players that would be a key cog in that backline right now.

Embarrassing. We're just so inept on senior players that have leadership.
He is a nothing player, provides zip to this team and should be fuked off ASAP.

His career will amount to buying and owning a house(s) at the end whilst putting in half-hearted efforts game after game whilst supporters/members are handing over their hard earnt $$$ to put up with his s**t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back