Most overrated player in the AFL currently?

Remove this Banner Ad

The worpedo (lol) .
Hawks fans carry on like he’s the next Selwood but I suppose to be fair when your side has virtually no young upcoming talent to speak of you tend to cling on to any young player who shows anything.

Is just a good honest young toiler.

You havent stated a reason why, Just taken a shot at hawks fans.

Naitanui
Brad Hill
Bont
De Goey
Dusty
Rioli
Talia
Hipwood
Devon Smith
Lever
Gresham
Orazio
Weitering
Viney
Wines
Jeremy McGovern
Ziebell
3 of the top 10 players in the comp? Dreaming.

I'll start us off with a little bit of Tex Walker
Australians Rates the sensibility of Victorians after having flu like symptoms to do the right thing over Tex right now.

Any ruckman who gets a kick against Brodie Grundy.

"X Ruckman has held his own!"

While said ruckman gets his 5th disposal of the game 4th quarter, While Grundy catches his breath after a 20 disposal, 5 clearance and 35 hit outs in the first 75 minutes of the game

yep, Gaff was one of the first players I thought of.
Gaff has been tagged numerous times this year. He’s been far and away WC’s consistent mid this year.

Your point is valid, in the sense his ‘death by thousand cuts’ 30 touches isn’t the same as say a Dusty or Dangerfield, but he doesn’t usually waste the ball and gets to as many contests as anyone. He’s not soft sitting out the back waiting for the ball to be fed to him.

His 2018 form prior to the Brayshaw incident was super. Hit the scoreboard frequently to go with that running capability. For some reason he hasn’t gone back to that.

Gaff has been tagged numerous times this year. He’s been far and away WC’s consistent mid this year.

Your point is valid, in the sense his ‘death by thousand cuts’ 30 touches isn’t the same as say a Dusty or Dangerfield, but he doesn’t usually waste the ball and gets to as many contests as anyone. He’s not soft sitting out the back waiting for the ball to be fed to him.

His 2018 form prior to the Brayshaw incident was super. Hit the scoreboard frequently to go with that running capability. For some reason he hasn’t gone back to that.
It's hard to really measure what wingers do off the ball, with their defensive run, trying to pull zones apart. You cant get an appreciation of the volume of work they do off the ball

It's why when people are saying why TF is Scully still in the team, it's not nessisary the run and carry with the football that he's picked, probably the volume he's able to cover which is the value, If a player could (and as Gaff could) cover the ground and provide more offensive work they would be in, Even if Gaff isnt in 2020 form, he's probably doing a lot of work off the ball then people take granted for

They don't live up to the hype. Very inconsistent players who don't perform week in, week out.

Bruce tried to convince us that Dusty matched Toby Greene's performance tonight :$

He has had a bit of a slow start to the year, but Bont has had about 3 geniuinely poor games in his last 40, same as any other star. He got under 19 disposals once last season, won the AFLCA player of the year and 2 or 3 media player of the years.

Last edited:
He has had a bit of a slow start to the year, but Bont has had about 3 geniuinely poor games in his last 40, same as any other star. He got under 19 disposals once last season, won the AFLCA player of the year and 2 or 3 media player of the years.

Yeah I agree that his 2019 was elite, but I feel his output in 2017, 2018 & 2020 (so far) just doesn't align with the "top 10 player in the game" label he's been given.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the most overrated are a number of players who have high possession stats, but never get tagged. There's a reason for that....

Just to let you know, during his Brownlow year, Mitchell got tagged most weeks after the bye. (You probably don't watch him as closely as i do). The tags were not subtle either. He was worn like a t-shirt.

This year, well - he is returning from a broken leg. He is not the same player atm.

So, it's just not correct to say Mitchell was not tagged. He would have been in top 1% for tagged players before his injury.

Last edited:
Just to let you know, during his Brownlow year, Mitchell got tagged most weeks after the bye. (You probably don't watch him as closely as i do). The tags were not subtle either. He was worn like a t-shirt.

This year, well - he is returning from a broken leg. He is not the same player atm.

So, it's just not correct to say Mitchell was not tagged. He would have been in top 1% for tagged players before his injury.

Broken tibula/fibula are very difficult injuries to come back from. Nathan Brown was never the same player and Mitch Wallis sits as a deep forward these days, he was a mid before the injury.

Broken tibula/fibula are very difficult injuries to come back from. Nathan Brown was never the same player and Mitch Wallis sits as a deep forward these days, he was a mid before the injury.

Mitch Wallis is one of my noms for the most underrated players in the game.

Are the dogs spoiled for choice, or do they not rate him? His forward work is excellent.

His forward work is pretty good, but he never gets time through the middle any more. With Dunkley out we could do with a big body when we're getting smashed in the clearances. I put it down to the leg injury, but I may be barking up the wrong tree.

His forward work is pretty good, but he never gets time through the middle any more. With Dunkley out we could do with a big body when we're getting smashed in the clearances. I put it down to the leg injury, but I may be barking up the wrong tree.

Yeah, they would know their players better than me, but it feels like he has never got that decent chance at resurrecting his midfield career.

But as a forward, I wouldn't mind him at our club. He is just honest and unselfish and clean, without being dominant.

Rankin is overrated. He will be an okay player, but he hasn't got the speed to live up to the hype.

Ridiculous call. The hype is massive and basically just media fluff to keep people watching, but the guy is clearly going to be better than okay. People were saying he was the best out of that draft before he was drafted. He's had 3 amazing games. He won the first off his own boot, almost dragged them over the line in the second (he was involved in just about every score), and poor kicking meant he didn't win the third for GC. He's having a better season than Rozee did last year and the way he is going he could be at AA level next year (in line with Wingard's 3rd year). This is all coming off 18 months of injuries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back