Most overrated player in the AFL currently?

Remove this Banner Ad

Still not as disappointing as what O'meara's been.........Nothing more than a solid battler with a good rig
Screenshot_20200727-174850_Chrome.jpg
I think people still judge O'Meara by the potential he showed at the Suns. Even so he's clearly the midfielder opposition match committee's would be putting the most time into when preparing to play the hawks.
I doubt any of the 16 other coaches would pick Dev Smith ahead of O'Meara.

Maybe not the MOST overrated, but Esava Ratugolea.

Constantly spoken of as the next big thing.

He's now in his 4th year and has kicked 3 goals in 8 games, is a below average ruck, doesn't set up many goals (only 2 goal assists this season, both in the same game) and doesn't apply any pressure.

You see his highlights and assume he's at least a great mark and good F50 target and yet he averages only 2 marks a game and is 49th in the competition for contested marks this year.

Maybe not the MOST overrated, but Esava Ratugolea.

Constantly spoken of as the next big thing.

He's now in his 4th year and has kicked 3 goals in 8 games, is a below average ruck, doesn't set up many goals (only 2 goal assists this season, both in the same game) and doesn't apply any pressure.

You see his highlights and assume he's at least a great mark and good F50 target and yet he averages only 2 marks a game and is 49th in the competition for contested marks this year.

Really?
Never knew he was even slightly rated, let alone particularly over-rated.
Has the same amount of contested marks as Tom Hawkins and has had some good moments for a 36-gamer.
Reckon there'd be a couple more overrated footballers getting around than him.

hate to say it but Cripps

I'm glad someone had the balls to say it. I don't get the Cripps love, and I mean the never ending doting over him by the media. Every time I see him, I just don't get it. Maybe because most of the time I see him it's playing the Saints and Steele makes him ineffectual. But even when he gets it, he's a bit of ball butcher and been handball happy most of his career. I'm sure he's a good guy though. And a gun player for the Blues, the only shining light for them which might snag him a Brownlow one day, but a champion he ain't right now. Gary Ablett Jr, there's a true champion, quality and quantity.

I see alot of mentions of Cripps, I was saying from the start when he's 18-23 he will be good but he will fall off because being the size he is as a midfielder his lack of pace will be more apparent when he's older and I think that's starting to show now and it will get worse.

I'm glad someone had the balls to say it. I don't get the Cripps love, and I mean the never ending doting over him by the media. Every time I see him, I just don't get it. Maybe because most of the time I see him it's playing the Saints and Steele makes him ineffectual. But even when he gets it, he's a bit of ball butcher and been handball happy most of his career. I'm sure he's a good guy though. And a gun player for the Blues, the only shining light for them which might snag him a Brownlow one day, but a champion he ain't right now. Gary Ablett Jr, there's a true champion, quality and quantity.
You obviously talking about the West Coast Cripps, yes?

Because the Carlton Cripps averages close to 30 disposals and a goal a game against the Saints across his career.
Even when Steele had the better of him in the first half in the last game he had 22 and a goal.

36FAA294-F01B-4B55-88B2-5E1D9E105FEF.jpeg

Because the Carlton Cripps averages close to 30 disposals and a goal a game against the Saints across his career.
Even when Steele had the better of him in the first half in the last game he had 22 and a goal.

View attachment 921043
Alot of those touches were in junk time when the game was over to be fair

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

View attachment 921043
West Coast Cripps is a good honest footballer he does his job to perfection. Patrick Crips is a gun would love him at West Coast

Grundy - the question is begged, what is the point of all the touches at the end of the day. With Gawn I see him putting himself in certain field positions that are advantageous. Nicnat, the contra Grundy, high impact, strikes fear in the oppo.

Dangerfield - a glorious player to watch, the power running, explosiveness, very easy on the eye. However, effectiveness of disposals and in certain finals is questionable.

Polec - what did they pay? I've heard him described as a gun. Read that again. Pop gun.

That shaven headed hawk centreman. Can't remember his name, he's so bland and ineffectual. Oh that's it, Papley's Pup.

He was overrated in 2018 but in 2020 he’s not rated enough to be overrated. He’s a family car, a Hyundai.
over rated in 2018 when he was AA, won the young player of the year and had his 2nd top 10 finish in the coaches votes at 21?

He is similar to Macrae from your mob (just 3 years younger), both have limitations and play a different style to each other but make no mistake both a top players. if anything Oliver is starting to get under rated

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really?
Never knew he was even slightly rated, let alone particularly over-rated.
Has the same amount of contested marks as Tom Hawkins and has had some good moments for a 36-gamer.
Reckon there'd be a couple more overrated footballers getting around than him.
I've been really impressed by Ratagolea's ability to hoover up ground balls (no pun intended) in really unfavourable conditions over the last couple of weeks.
He's not quite sticking his marks but is getting to the right spots time and again for those classic lead up and compete bailout kicks. The fact he can also do a serviceable job as a relief ruckman is invaluable.
I rate him

I've been really impressed by Ratagolea's ability to hoover up ground balls (no pun intended) in really unfavourable conditions over the last couple of weeks.
He's not quite sticking his marks but is getting to the right spots time and again for those classic lead up and compete bailout kicks. The fact he can also do a serviceable job as a relief ruckman is invaluable.
I rate him

Has patches in games - not every week - where it all comes together for him, and we suddenly look a very multi-dimensional prospect as a team.
Has some games where he looks horribly down on touch, but then can play 10 minutes of great footy and the team walks taller when he produces that form.

Still very raw and still has a ton of development in him.
Surely not overrated!

I see alot of mentions of Cripps, I was saying from the start when he's 18-23 he will be good but he will fall off because being the size he is as a midfielder his lack of pace will be more apparent when he's older and I think that's starting to show now and it will get worse.
His lack of pace has nothing to do with his current season. If anything he is quicker than he was in his early days. He is being very heavily tagged and the coaches realise this and seem to be happy for him to be more of a decoy this year. It's leading to the likes of Setterfield, Walsh, Cunningham etc having standout games. He also seems to be a bit banged up right now with a bad shoulder, because based off what I've seen he doesn't seem as willing to barge in recently.

This is probably the worst patch of his career. I seriously doubt this lasts. It's a weird season.

over rated in 2018 when he was AA, won the young player of the year and had his 2nd top 10 finish in the coaches votes at 21?

He is similar to Macrae from your mob (just 3 years younger), both have limitations and play a different style to each other but make no mistake both a top players. if anything Oliver is starting to get under rated

I don’t think Oliver should be in this thread but jeez his disposal by foot looks to be getting worse not better

I don’t think Oliver should be in this thread but jeez his disposal by foot looks to be getting worse not better
should stick to his strength in his pinpoint quick handballs

To the people saying Dusty because he is inconsistent... wouldn't you say that is outweighed by the fact he has shown up in so many big games? Immense finals record. He tends to go quiet in the first 5 rounds of year, that's about it. His 2019 was underrated.

IMO Josh Kelly is the most overrated player. Commentators are seduced by his smooth movement but he is often not that damaging with the ball, or goes missing. Haven't seen him do much in big games.

From media outlets - Treloar. I think most fans would pick Pendlebury and Adams first before him and Sidebottom would come into consideration too. Commentators and some media guys who obsess over stats will parrot on about 30 touches like there's no tomorrow. He's not bad, overrated shouldn't be interpreted as bad, I just don't think he's in "amazing form" like Bruce and a few others will go on about.

There's a few defenders who are very much one way (defence only) and a liability on attack who should get more focus considering a forward being forward only would get crunched for not being defensive. Daniel Talia has really exposed Adelaide at times this year with slow ball movement, I rate his defence but at the same time he's a liability rebounding due to his inability/no desire to pull the trigger on quick kicks. Sure sure it's "not his role" but most players are expected to be 2 way so if one doesn't and is still highly rated, I'd say he's overrated.

Jake Lloyd is another stats whore. In lots of AA rolling sides but I think most Swans fans would agree Rampe is the one who should be considered, Lloyd lots of cheap disposals. Doubt he'd be in the same league for 1 on 1 win loss stats too.

Brad Hill has not justified his trade value or salary this year at all. Wonder if shortened games make him less effective - can't burn players off endurance wise as easy?

And if I hear 1 more North fan whinge about the "harsh" treatment Mason Wood is getting...
From North coaches perspective, Shaun Atley, Jamie MacMillan, and Luke McDonald have had a free ride for a large portion of their careers. And if they did such a good job and didn't need to be dropped, then why recruit Williams and Pittard...very frustrating. At least Mcdonald has finally had a role change because spraying it off his boot (stylishly of course) and being beaten 1 on 1 as a small defender was not fun.

I swear he wasnt bad in his first 3 seasons. Almost like coaches have got in his head somehow.
And the media saying he has to kick the ball more

No he doesn't, he needs to go back to his pure inside game where he dets up play with lightning handballs out of congestion

Grundy - the question is begged, what is the point of all the touches at the end of the day. With Gawn I see him putting himself in certain field positions that are advantageous. Nicnat, the contra Grundy, high impact, strikes fear in the oppo.

Why are you judging ruckmen by disposal numbers or location?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back