Player Watch Most overrated players (current & retired) part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack Darling

Darcy Fogarty

Steve Silvagni wins this by a country mile surely
He’s no Dustin Fletcher I’ll give you the tip.

Just a reminder…Fletcher won the Crichton medal in 2000.

The greatest team of all time.

He won it over Hird, Lloydy, Jason Johnson, Mercuri, Wellman, Solomon, Hardwick and a bunch of other superstars..

Two bad decisions pretty much ruined Gaff's career.

Would have been a premiership player at Melbourne and filty rich.

Instead he puched a bloke and was subsequently left to rot in the worst side in AFL history.
Hes dont allright financially at west coast - but he might still be playing good footy at melbs, might not too. Hes slow and the game has sped up again.

The worst team in footy history?

Show us on the doll where west coast hurt you.

great player in his era, but today he would give away 500 free kicks, and his sons are spuds
SOS stood on the line of giving a free away. Wherever you moved that line he would have adjusted. He would have killed it in today's game as he would have also clunked marks

Current - Aaron Naughton
Past - Jonathan Brown

Jack Darling
Although the pain of the 2018 GF loss disappeared after winning the flag last year (coupled with a wooden spoon from WCE), could you imagine the fallout at the eagles had Collingwood gone end to end in the last 45 secs of the GF after Darling dropped the easiest of uncontested marks in the goal square.

Did it on the big stage in the 2015 GF too when WCE were actually challenging early in the third qtr.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has to be James Sicily. The man hasn't had a winning record since 2016, and doesn't look he will again any time soon. Racks up a ton of the ball in a team getting beaten comfortably most weeks, so no real need for the other team to gameplan against him. Gives up dumb free kicks in big moments cause it's easy to get him to react, and inevitably gets himself suspended for multiple games costing his team.

I know I'm a Hawthorn supporter but would be hard for me to disagree more. No individual player can significantly change whether a team has a winning record or not. Gary Ablett Jnr was a modern day great and Gold Coast never had a winning record when he was the best player in the comp. Countless other examples of the same (Lockett, Skilton, Flower and thousands of others). Was Tony Lockett overrated cos St Kilda were mostly crap?

Also, teams 'gameplan' against him all the time. You've already mentioned the targeted niggle used which has clearly been an instruction. He also cops taggers which is wild for someone playing CHB. Sicily is 188 cm and gets asked to play as a key defender on guys 200cm+. He is the same height as Ed Richards FFS (and much shorter than Bontempelli). Can you imagine Richards being asked to play on Jeremy Cameron or Tom Hawkins?

Even the suspension thing is overblown. Sicily has been suspended for a total of 4 games since his debut a decade ago. 3 of those games was for a completely fair tackle last season (when they were cracking down on players hitting the ground). So 1 game legitimately suspended in 10 years.

Sicily does get an unprecedented amount of ball for a key defender but he has very high metres gained and good score involvements given he plays in a team that struggles to score. In other words, he takes risks, kicks long and generally makes very good use of the ball that he gets. He also gets plenty of intercepts which would be the most valuable way to obtain the ball in the first place.

If anything, I think he is underrated. He has earnt AA just once. Take Stewart as a point of comparison. Stewart is taller than Sicily. Stewart has the luxury of playing "3rd tall" or the +1. He rarely plays close attention to his opponent. (Stewart has even been suspended for more matches then Sicily but is viewed as the quintessential 'nice guy'). Over the last few years, Sicily has averaged more of the ball, more intercepts, more marks, more metres gained, more coaches votes, more of everything really - whilst being asked to shut down opposition key talls whilst Stewart is given more freedom (Sicily loses fewer defensive one on ones despite copping more of them and typically playing on a better opponent). Stewart is considered a modern day great (I'll admit he is special - this is not about Stewart per se) - but some have even argued the best player in the comp - and has 5 AA's to his name.

What I will give you is that Sicily has been pretty awful in 2024. Didn't contain himself well enough in Round 1 when heavily targetted AND was quiet, copped a bunch of goals to Fritsch in Round 2 and copped some goals to Henry in Round 3 (albeit with some generous free kicks). If we're basing it on 3 rounds of 2024 alone then Sicily is not elite and definately overrated. However, that is not how he normally plays. If we're basing it on his career prior, he is probably quite underrated.

Last edited:
Sam Walsh… soft as butter left in the sun on a hot day

Yep real soft! :rolleyes:

Walsh2OctAyres.png

Extremely poor form from you once again trolling an injured player :thumbsdown:

I don't think anyone is trolling. Maybe confusion over Sam Walsh and Paddy Dow (very similar players).

Sam Walsh has finally put his head over the ball to win some contested possessions and surprise surprise his body isn't able to handle it. On the evidence over his career he is limited by his physical and psychological capabilities and will always be a soft outside player.

There is nothing wrong with that, Sam Walsh is similar in capabilities as Bradley Hill, Jayden Stephenson, Paddy Dow etc.

Has to be James Sicily. The man hasn't had a winning record since 2016, and doesn't look he will again any time soon. Racks up a ton of the ball in a team getting beaten comfortably most weeks, so no real need for the other team to gameplan against him. Gives up dumb free kicks in big moments cause it's easy to get him to react, and inevitably gets himself suspended for multiple games costing his team.

Lockett didnt win much either. Nor did GAS. Both got suspended a lot as well.

I do like this method of rating an individual.

I don't think anyone is trolling. Maybe confusion over Sam Walsh and Paddy Dow (very similar players).

Sam Walsh has finally put his head over the ball to win some contested possessions and surprise surprise his body isn't able to handle it. On the evidence over his career he is limited by his physical and psychological capabilities and will always be a soft outside player.

There is nothing wrong with that, Sam Walsh is similar in capabilities as Bradley Hill, Jayden Stephenson, Paddy Dow etc.
This is a troll but I rated it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back