Opinion Most overrated players from each team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Classic Fremantle. They have one of the best small forwards in the game so they move him to the midfield, meanwhile they can barely kick a goal.

Wonderful move.

Walters is one of the most creative players in the game with ball in hand. No use having him sit up forward without the delivery, and the Dockers can't survive on Fyfe Heroball alone.

Don't really see what the criticism of Walters is TBH. He's clearly been one of Freo's best this year.

Walters is one of the most creative players in the game with ball in hand. No use having him sit up forward without the delivery, and the Dockers can't survive on Fyfe Heroball alone.

Don't really see what the criticism of Walters is TBH. He's clearly been one of Freo's best this year.

People calling Walters overrated have no idea what they are talking about. It’s actually a laughable opinion.

Tom Hawkins is extremely overrated if you consider the fact he robbed Ben 'Sideshow Bob' Brown last season of an AA spot just on previous feats/reputation alone.

Doesn't help either that Hawkins has an extremely punchable face.
He got AA honours because he was dudded the year previous due to the AFL putting Franklin in the AA team and wanting to make him captain.

Some I can think of....

Adelaide - Walker - soft****
Carlton - McGovern -slacker
Collingwood - Elliot - Big head
Essendon - Dylan Shiel - can’t kick for sh*t
Geelong - Hawkins - Too stupid for words
Hawthorn - Burgoyne- 3 kick per game show pony
Melbourne - Oliver - Couldn’t find a teammate in the showers
North Melbourne - Ben Brown - No silver service.....no goals
Port - Charlie Dixon - As average as a brown fence
Richmond - Cotchin - Goes missing in the real stuff
St Kilda - Jake Carlisle - The Jake’s on StKilda
Sydney - Blakey - Definitely not the new O’Laughlin
West Coast - Darling - A smart man’s Hawkins.
Bulldogs - Beveridge - Yea I cheated....but the umps will even it up....
I'm sorry, 'Cotchin goes missing in the real stuff'. Were you asleep in the 2017 finals campaign where he was acknowledged as the player of the finals series. Sets the tone for the club in most big matches, but because he doesn't trouble the stats men with easy possessions he is assumed missing. Listen to Luke Hodge talk about him.

Some I can think of....

how does Hawkins’ stupidity make him overrated? Even more mind boggling given that everyone to a man acknowledges that some of his actions are stupid

I'm sorry, 'Cotchin goes missing in the real stuff'. Were you asleep in the 2017 finals campaign where he was acknowledged as the player of the finals series. Sets the tone for the club in most big matches, but because he doesn't trouble the stats men with easy possessions he is assumed missing. Listen to Luke Hodge talk about him.

And has done nothing since - so currently over-rated....especially by you.

you can always tell when someone has jumped on Cripps for supercoach in 2020.

he's had a down year and let a few supercoach blokes down, so they hate on him.

Also lol at the bloke saying Cotchin? How the * can you 'go missing in the real stuff' when you have captained 2 flags!! wish cripps and doc would go missing in the real stuff for us :(

Some I can think of....

Pretty spot on

you can always tell when someone has jumped on Cripps for supercoach in 2020.

he's had a down year and let a few supercoach blokes down, so they hate on him.

Also lol at the bloke saying Cotchin? How the fu** can you 'go missing in the real stuff' when you have captained 2 flags!! wish cripps and doc would go missing in the real stuff for us :(

No-one really rates Cotchin much these days anyway. His form has dropped off and he now plays a more defensive role to support guys like Martin.

If you asked neutrals to rank Richmond's midfielders, would he crack the top three? AFL player ratings list him as Richmond's fourth best midfielder and that seems fair.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No-one really rates Cotchin much these days anyway. His form has dropped off and he now plays a more defensive role to support guys like Martin.

If you asked neutrals to rank Richmond's midfielders, would he crack the top three? AFL player ratings list him as Richmond's fourth best midfielder and that seems fair.
And if you asked Richmond people who probably have a better grasp on how valued he is as a player, and the example he sets, then he is far from overrated. Playing a more defensive roll sets free Martin/Prestia and Edwards to do what they do, and now Bolton who is very offensive. Taking one for the team makes him more important than the mids who sit at the back of the pack waiting for the backwards handballs racking up sideways possessions. Cotchin is easily our no.1 pressure player and has been for years now, and how do Richmond win games, especially when it matters.

So that means Sicily should be a month this yr, he's been dudded 2 seasons in a row now
Well it sounds stupid when it's put like that.

In my defense I am just someone trying to make sense in this complicated world - in this case the AFL world. When a player misses out on AA selection and it goes to a player whom had an average year - missed 4 games and was name as AA captain, you can't help but throw up outlandish theories when the player that misses is lucky to get AA selection the following year.:moustache:

Some I can think of....

got to be rated to classify as overrated. i dont think ive heard 1 non richmond supporter ever say anything good about cotchin.

if you want a richmond player, rioli is very overrated by the media, ellis before he left, maybe lambert. i get the feeling most people rate richmond fairly accurately, which is a collection of very good players and role players with some absolute stars dotted around.

most neutrals are simpletons.

cotchin is a jet, always has been. don't care where player ratings have him, some of the s**t i've seen him do that goes unnoticed over the years. won a brownlow at 22 too. not bad.

He has certainly regressed from his 2107-18 form.

But I’m not sure he’s over rated by Richmond supporters. He’s never been mentioned to be in our top dozen players.

Just a role player that turned it on at really important times for us- 4 goals in the 2017 Prelim. A couple of goals at vital times in the 2019 Qualifying Final.

A couple of games where he was crucial to us winning our flags. And for that, he will always be remembered fondly by Richmond supporters.
I'd throw him to half back and get him into the game. He seems to get lost in the forward line. Get him some confidence off half back with the whole field in front of him. How many times have we seen a talented forward head back to gods country on a half back flank to get their confidence back.

Some I can think of....

Could accuse him of that in 2016, not anymore.

Set the tone for the entire team in the 2017 QF and PF with ferocious attack on the ball & man with it. 2019 QF again stood up in the 2nd quarter when the Lions challenged us in the 1st quarter and most importantly his defensive work in the middle in the 2019 PF is a major part of the reason we were able to claw ourselves back into that game.

Can take overrated calls on a range of Richmond players. Not Cotchin.

The other thing people don't realise is how much Cotchin helps Dusty get off the leash, by covering him defensively. Look how much better Dusty played against the Bulldogs with Cotch back compared to the last few weeks. Cotchin really is like a Pippen to Dusty's Jordan (not calling Dusty the AFL GOAT, jus comparing the dynamic).

Yeah, I'd only have Prestia and Martin ahead of him as a mid

Remove this Banner Ad

Back