Opinion Most overrated players from each team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Robstar2000

Rookie
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Curious to see who people will rate as overrated from other clubs.
Overrated not necessarily meaning bad, just not as good as supporters and media say

Hawthorn: Tom Mitchell
Richmond: Dustin Martin

Second fiddle to the likes of Dangerfield & Fyfe, the two best players in the competition.

Mitchell is a disposal merchant and Martin, while at his best is better than anyone else, was so bad last year during the H&A he couldn't even make the AA team.

Second fiddle to the likes of Dangerfield & Fyfe, the two best players in the competition.

Mitchell is a disposal merchant and Martin, while at his best is better than anyone else, was so bad last year during the H&A he couldn't even make the AA team.
Not sure being a 'disposal merchant' is a knock on a midfielder.

Was Lockett overrated because he was a goal kicking merchant?

Not sure being a 'disposal merchant' is a knock on a midfielder.

Was Lockett overrated because he was a goal kicking merchant?
Whoever kicks the most goals/points always wins.

Didn’t realise disposals were counted on the scoreboard.

Most overrated stat in modern football.

I particularly loved the bit around half time in last year's Prelim where Dusty gave some back to a lippy and chipper Dangerfield. One player then helped win the game and the other went missing. If you want to rate H & A performance above contributing when it matters that's fine, but not one I personally agree with.

Funny you say that because Mitchell has dominated the Cats midfield pretty much every time he has played them since coming to us... Maybe 'the likes of Dangerfield' could learn a thing or two from him.

Also Mitchell is one of the most criticized stars in the game currently, hard to see how he is overrated.

In order to establish who is "overrated", we must be able to establish who is "rated" how high. I'm yet to see how this is possible.

I mean, how high is Callan Ward rated? Or Dyson Heppell? According to who?

Be patient old boy, in another month you can go back to clogging up the AA thread with your tiresome pedantry :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whoever kicks the most goals/points always wins.

Didn’t realise disposals were counted on the scoreboard.

Most overrated stat in modern football.

Didn’t Mitchell have 46 disposals and 2 goals against Geelong in Round 2 2018?

According to bigfooty Rioli was overrated because he didn’t win “enough” of the football and Mitchell is overrated because he wins too much of the football?

So who is the more effective player. Cyril Rioli or Tom Mitchell? :think:

You are kidding right?

Of the current essendon players i hate to say it but hurley and heppell are severely overrated.

kidding? no, hes overrated, essendon fans talk like he is an all time great, when he isnt

It's hard to know what 'overrated' actually means. To my mind there are two categories:
1. Bog average players who probably should be playing WAFL / VFL / SANFL who keep getting talked up and selected in the 1sts.
2. Good players, usually with a few tricks, who are fawned over by their own supporters and sometimes the media as the next coming of Leigh Matthews or Wayne Carey.

So, here's my list (no offence intended). Some of them are probably not firmly on the list (Aidan Corr, Shai Bolton, Luke Davies-Uniacke and Sam Menegola were particularly stiff), but for the sake of having everyone represented I scratched around.

Adelaide - Wayne Milera
Brisbane - Oscar McInerney
Carlton - Jack Silvagni
Collingwood - Mason Cox
Essendon - Dylan Shiel
Fremantle - Matthew Taberner
Geelong - Sam Menagola
GCS - Touk Miller
GWS - Aidan Corr
Hawthorn - Chad Wingard
Melbourne - Sam Weideman
North Melbourne - Luke Davies-Uniacke
Port - Charlie Dixon
Richmond - Shai Bolton
St Kilda - Jake Carlisle
Sydney - Ben Ronke
West Coast - Liam Ryan
Bulldogs - Zaine Cordy

Shaun Burgoyne's career at Hawthorn has been enormously over rated.
Harsh, I remember he turned up with a walking stick looking like a bad ass rapper rather
than a footballer when first recruited by Hawthorn, to play as long as he has and be a
Mr Fix It reliable match turner it is hard to label him overrated. When you consider the
way Hawthorn treated Hodge, Mitchell and Lewis at the end of their careers it only
speaks volumes for how highly rated Shaun Burgoyne must be internally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back