Remove this Banner Ad

nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
What’s the most successful long term contract above 5 years?
Lots of criticism at the moment … do they work?

Buddy was quite successful. Signed for 9 years, ended up extending his contract. 4 All Australians, 2 Coleman medals, something like 480 goals.

Didn't win a flag up there though, so I am not convinced the Swans got the return on the investment that they hoped for.

It’s Dustin Martin and it’s not even close.

Signed a seven year deal on the eve of a dynasty in which he showed he was the best big game player we’ve likely ever seen.

This year was the second last year of the deal and an argument can be made he deserved to be All Australian.

Signed a seven year deal on the eve of a dynasty in which he showed he was the best big game player we’ve likely ever seen.

This year was the second last year of the deal and an argument can be made he deserved to be All Australian.
Definetely our best long term deal.

It tied in both player and club success, and he never really fell off the cliff at the end (assuming he doesn't this year which seems extremely unlikely).

Buddy was quite successful. Signed for 9 years, ended up extending his contract. 4 All Australians, 2 Coleman medals, something like 480 goals.
An amazing career. If there's anything missing it's a flag at the Swans which never quite worked out and in the last handful of years, his form (largely injury related) probably wasn't worth the cap space of the deal. Think he might have had a few injury plagued seasons where he missed a lot of footy

Yeh nah, how old are you? It's still Lynch by a mile. The guy signed a 10 year contract in 1994 , years 7-10 of that contract he was still full forward in a dynasty team that almost won 4 flags in a row.

He would have been paid peanuts compared to what he was worth . The money / % of the cap he got compared to Martin would be nothing

Yeh nah, how old are you? It's still Lynch by a mile. The guy signed a 10 year contract in 1994 , years 7-10 of that contract he was still full forward in a dynasty team that almost won 4 flags in a row.

He would have been paid peanuts compared to what he was worth . The money / % of the cap he got compared to Martin would be nothing
The premise of the thread isn’t how much the player was paid. It was simply the success surrounding long term deals. If you want to measure success by salary cap space, then sure, maybe you've got a point, but success to me is wins and premierships.

Alastair Lynch:
Ten years, 3 premierships and a winning percentage of 61.85%

Dustin Martin:
Seven years (6 thus far), 3 premierships and a winning percentage of 78.29%

Brisbane were also less reliant on Lynch than Richmond were on Martin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

0 premierships
The key reason he went to Sydney was to win flags.

Footy karma for shafting Hawthorn!

0 premierships
The key reason he went to Sydney was to win flags.

Footy karma for shafting Hawthorn!

I wish people would stop saying that as it is 100% false.

Buddy went to Sydney as he wanted to get out of the Melbourne fishbowl and his wife had business opportunities in Sydney. That is why he wanted to move, and he picked the Swans over GWS as he felt the Swans were more likely to be in contention for a flag than GWS were, and he was right, but his primary reason for moving to Sydney was for personal reasons, not professional.

You saying "karma" is rather dickish considering all Buddy wanted was to be able to go to the shops without being swamped. I mean how dare he want that.

Nick Holland
Drop The Mic GIF by In Real Life

I wish people would stop saying that as it is 100% false.

You saying "karma" is rather dickish considering all Buddy wanted was to be able to go to the shops without being swamped. I mean how dare he want that.

He literally said it during the press conference. And it is karma, the footy gods are good at seeking vengeance when players do the wrong thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back