Opinion Most underrated player(s) in the AFL currently?

Remove this Banner Ad

Based on how we have gone since he was suspended he literally makes us a 6 goal better team when he plays (or a six goal worse when he doesn't).

He is a massive talent, the game comes so naturally to him.

He is so far and away the Hawks best player it's daylight to second (maybe Mitchell Lewis/ Will Day).

Arguably the most complete footballer in the league.

Jayden Short is a pretty valuable. Gun back pocket who gains a lot of metres. Went into the centre square out of necessity and showed himself to be a capable clearance player, and kicked massive goals from outside 50 in all of Richmond’s recent wins, despite being about 5’7”. Also BnF in a premiership year (2020)

For us it’s definitely Tom Libratore. He is a freak at extracting the ball in very tight spaces and finding a teammate. Never had an AA is really selectors not understanding what he does because he has the ball for a nano second. He is our initial spark at nearly every contest in a midfield that is consistently good.

This

Blake Hardwick very underated. Most consistent player at Hawks last few seasons and gets the job done every game.

Honestly think that if Jai Newcombe was taken in the National Draft people would actually give him the credit that he’s due for his first two years in the comp.

I'd have Adam Cerra up there. Playing great footy at the moment.

Judd McVee and Darcy Wilmot are young players that look like they're going to be reliable 200 gamers.

Yes I have all 3 in my fantasy team so have watched them super closely but still.
23, 19 and 19 - might be a bit too soon to be underrated.

Alex Neal-Bullen.
Role player who never stars but doesn't play stinkers either. You need those reliable players.

Charlie Ballard.

Liam Baker is genuinely good at most positions on the ground despite lacking height and natural elite athletic traits.

Only two players in the AFL last season averaged over 20 touches and a goal a game. Marcus Bontempelli and DYLAN MOORE. How he didn't even make the AA squad I'll never understand.

Dan Houston. Ship has probably sailed on that one though :)

Isaac Quaynor from the Pies is a very solid foot soldier that often goes unnoticed because of his more celebrated teammates.

Zac Bailey is a star for the Lions that deserves more media and neutral supporter recognition. Absolute gun. Not a massive possession gatherer but a player who has serious impact on the scoreboard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Xavier O’Halloran seems be doing something good whenever I watch GWS

Adam Saad’s defensive game is underrated

Hayden Young is a classic ‘if he played for a big Vic team he’d be….’ operator
I watched Saad live on the weekend, very impressed with his game.

He is a class player, would love him to play for the Hawks across half back with Sicily.

Jai Newcombe. Tore us to shreds and made Lachie Neale look 2nd rate a few weeks ago. Phenomenal young midfielder, deserves more attention from the media.

Dan Houston. Ship has probably sailed on that one though :)

Isaac Quaynor from the Pies is a very solid foot soldier that often goes unnoticed because of his more celebrated teammates.

Zac Bailey is a star for the Lions that deserves more media and neutral supporter recognition. Absolute gun. Not a massive possession gatherer but a player who has serious impact on the scoreboard.
Agreed on Zac Bailey but I think he does get quite a bit of attention from the media. Commentators especially love pumping him up.

Nathan Broad - rarely beaten, no nonsense shut down defender that can play on talls and smalls.

Mason Redman - GUN!

Zach Merrett - Elite but never gets spoken about

Mihochek - works his ass off

Berry (lions) Hard and tough and plays his role

Bailey Scott

Stock standard 3rd tall forward.

He's ok. Nothing special. Will eventually be pushed out.

He cost any chance of Hawthorn making a comeback against us last weekend.

Seems like a nice lad who is popular amongst his teammates, but I feel like VFL is probably the level he truly is at as a player.

He cost any chance of Hawthorn making a comeback against us last weekend.

Seems like a nice lad who is popular amongst his teammates, but I feel like VFL is probably the level he truly is at as a player.

Probably mate, but he hasn't played much at AFL level so likely has some improvement in him.

Hi leading patters are good, his engine is good and he has some football smarts. But his goal kicking is average and he has no real weapons. Opposing coaches won't see his name on the team sheet and think they have to put a heap of work into him. He's not dangerous like a Bailey Fritsch and he's not especially useful as a defensive forward.

I'd call him vanilla which is the point you are making I guess. I have no idea how he ended up being mentioned in this thread. He'll be delisted this season or next.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back