Most Unlucky Individual in the AFL system?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
Most recently would be Brett Deledio in my opinion.

Played over 200 games for Richmond in 13 seasons, made finals three times for no return, the year after he left the tigers win the premiership...and knock Deledio’s new team out of the finals in the process.

Rene Kink from Collingwood and Essendon is another that comes to mind 0-6 in Grand Finals. Moved from club to club, playing Rock Paper Scissors with his luck and always coming up short handed. I think he holds the overall record in world sport for most grand final/ final appearances in consecutive losing sides...maybe Ron The Bear can confirm or deny this?

Any other extremely lucky player? Injury wise could be Bob Murphy...

Most recently would be Brett Deledio in my opinion.

Played over 200 games for Richmond in 13 seasons, made finals three times for no return, the year after he left the tigers win the premiership...and knock Deledio’s new team out of the finals in the process.

Rene Kink from Collingwood and Essendon is another that comes to mind 0-6 in Grand Finals. Moved from club to club, playing Rock Paper Scissors with his luck and always coming up short handed. I think he holds the overall record in world sport for most grand final/ final appearances in consecutive losing sides...maybe Ron The Bear can confirm or deny this?

Any other extremely lucky player? Injury wise could be Bob Murphy...
Rene Kink played in the drawn 1977 Grand Final and was part of the losing team in the 1977 Grand Final Replay

That isn't 0-6. It's either 0-1-5, or it's 0-5 if you combine the '77 GF and '77 GFR as one game.

Last edited:
Rene Kink played in the drawn 1977 Grand Final and was part of the losing team in the 1977 Grand Final Replay

That isn't 0-6

It's either 0-1-5, or it's 0-5 if you combine the '77 GF and '77 GFR as one game.
You could argue this makes him even unluckier?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lots of Bears players. Craig Lambert as unlucky. Forced into retirement the year before the Lions 3 peat IIRC.

Matthew Kennedy was one long-time Bear/Lion that you felt could have gotten more reward for effort towards the end there. Of a similar vintage age-wise and in tenure to guys like Shaun Hart and Marcus Ashcroft.

You could argue this makes him even unluckier?
Sure.

I always thought it was misleading the way the media said Ross Lyon coached his teams to 4 Grand Finals. It implied that he led his team to the Grand Final in 4 separate seasons. But it was 3 GFs (and 1 replay). Why overcook the reality by making it seem more than it really was?

Sure.

I always thought it was misleading the way the media said Ross Lyon coached his teams to 4 Grand Finals. It implied that he led his team to the Grand Final in 4 separate seasons. But it was 3 GFs (and 1 replay). Why overcook the reality by making it seem more than it really was?

Because it portrays him as even more of a loser. And technically it's correct anyway, implication or not.

Matthew Primus was pretty unlucky, a star for port, was made captain, injuries plagued his career, missed the 2004 GF through injury, retired.

Then was made coach, was offered no support, no experienced assistant coaches to guide him, barely any money in the footy department, with a shocking list, and was fired 1 and a half year into his career. Then went to the Gold Coast where he is an assistant coach.

Matthew Primus was pretty unlucky, a star for port, was made captain, injuries plagued his career, missed the 2004 GF through injury, retired.

Then was made coach, was offered no support, no experienced assistant coaches to guide him, barely any money in the footy department, with a shocking list, and was fired 1 and a half year into his career. Then went to the Gold Coast where he is an assistant coach.
Francou was also unlucky too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back