Opinion Most Valuable Players in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Harry Mckay is the most valuable player in the AFL.

Big gap with the next best, but after that I'd have Petracca, Bont. Walsh needs to show that he can actually deal with tags first, will get a glaring reality check next year once he gets tagged out of games week in week out and misses out on AA.

Last edited:

Big gap with the next best, but after that I'd have Petracca, Bont. Walsh needs to show that he can actually deal with tags first, will get a glaring reality check next year once he gets tagged out of games week in week out and misses out on AA.
Nope, I'll raise you Ben King. He'll be the most sought after player in the league when he's uncontracted. And we could have had him :( ******* Jesse Hogan.

Not sure, i think if i was building a list i would prefer to have a genuine elite mid over an elite key forward. Just the way the game has gone.

I would take Walsh over Mckay if i could have my choice of either.

Harry McKay, Ben King & Luke Jackson are most valuable players in the AFL.

Closely followed by Clayton Oliver, Bont, Christian Petracca, the Essendon and Fremantle ruckmen, Walsh, Tarryn Thomas and Jason (3x 1st’s wasn’t enough so must be in convo).

Midfielders in this day and age are your most valuable. And that midfield group includes half backs, wingman and half forwards. Big forwards like McKay, Tomahawk, Ben Brown, King brothers etc are nowhere near as important. They are icing not your cake. 60 goals a year is nothing these days. Most coaches just prefer them to bring the ball to ground.
As a result Oliver, Bont, Petracca, Walsh, McCluggage, McCrae, Miller. etc. is where you spend your money.

Harry McKay, Ben King & Luke Jackson are most valuable players in the AFL.

Closely followed by Clayton Oliver, Bont, Christian Petracca, the Essendon and Fremantle ruckmen, Walsh, Tarryn Thomas and Jason (3x 1st’s wasn’t enough so must be in convo).
Did you forget about Naughton or do you honestly value Thomas, Draper, etc. above him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you forget about Naughton or do you honestly value Thomas, Draper, etc. above him?

Value is also determined by lack of supply and with JUH and Darcy coming through, he’s be less of a loss, so IMO would cost less.

Not that he isn’t more valuable, but that’s just how I see it.

Can see Tasmanian offering us an absolute fortune for Thomas, in the last half of this season he was 1 of 4 players to average 20+1. He goes ok.

Value is also determined by lack of supply and with JUH and Darcy coming through, he’s be less of a loss, so IMO would cost less.

Not that he isn’t more valuable, but that’s just how I see it.

Can see Tasmanian offering us an absolute fortune for Thomas, in the last half of this season he was 1 of 4 players to average 20+1. He goes ok.
I mean they probably would i guess, but we don't have a Tasmanian team...

Not sure a very good half of a season has him in the top few valuable players in the game yet.

I also don't think Draper is close to the top 10 most valuable players in the game, or Darcy as good as he is i just don't value ruckmen that highly.

Death taxes and North fans chucking Tarryn Thomas' name up as one of the best players in the league yet averages barely 18 touches a game

Right now I'd say a contracted King twin.

If Ben King wants to leave Gold Coast at the end of next year the trade haul will be significant, but not silly. Contract status and relative draft position of clubs involved always plays a part.

E.g. the Tim Kelly trade was a lot, but the best asset involved was pick 14 (eventual 16) or a future first (ended up 18) - take your pick. If we were s**t and had an early pick it's likely the package would've been fewer picks but better. IMO.

Values change quickly. A couple of years ago I would've said my club has a pretty valuable list. Right now with most of our best players 25-30+ it's only really Oscar Allen and maybe Liam Ryan that would attract a decent trade package.

When you consider age one would have to say either Ben King or Sam Walsh.

depends what yr using them for i guess - at the moment i'd say the stock standard key forward is not in the 5 most important positions in the game after a dominant 30-40 year stretch (60s-90s) where it clearly was something that helped a team's fortunes
  1. midfielders who impact the scoreboard
  2. outstanding workhouse mids
  3. intercept defenders
  4. mobile talls who rotate forward (preferably two)
  5. rebounding runners with exquisite skills
i don't think any club would give up 2 top ten picks and a best under 23 player for any of:
  1. petracca / bontempelli
  2. oliver / macrae
  3. lever / (do dogs have an analogous player type here? keath?)
  4. gawn-jackson / english-(darcy?)
  5. salem / daniel
not to mention that if a club has 2 top ten picks and a good player under 23 there's no way they should be trading in the likes of those above - they're presumably down the bottom of the ladder (or got VERY lucky with future trading) and should be looking to develop the next generation of types of players who are needed in modern afl

Death taxes and North fans chucking Tarryn Thomas' name up as one of the best players in the league yet averages barely 18 touches a game

Mate, no-one cares about stats. Don't get so wrapped up in the stats movement. Luke Jackson's stats on paper aren't impressive either. Thomas is a jet and deserves to be mentioned in this thread.

People that are mentioning Bont/Petracca have no idea what value is. they're both 26 years old. For the dees, Luke Jackson would be our most valuable trade player. He just turned 20. That's 6 years of value he has on the Bont/Petracca. 6 years!

I'd say Jackson deserves to be in the same sentence as Sam Walsh as he is a key position player/ He definitely has a higher ceiling than walsh.

Midfielders are everywhere, and easily replaceable.

KPP are limited and it's very hard to get your hands on a good one.

Jackson, Mckay, King x2, Naughton come to mind as the most valuable players in the AFL right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back