Opinion Most Valuable Players in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Dangers 17 was better than dusty?

I agree danger is a great player and underrated sort of. Watching him live freak
Danger 2017 was the best season we've seen in the last 10 years across the entire league, including any season Dusty has ever produced.

Danger 2017 was the best season we've seen in the last 10 years across the entire league, including any season Dusty has ever produced.

Leigh Mathews isn't included in your "we" as he said otherwise. Anyway both handy players back in the day.

So he is good in finals but sh*t in the big dance?

They could train before the grand final too

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

I thought I heard otherwise in the media

I'm quite confident that Walsh will never be as good as Petracca.

I see 10+ years of Walsh at AA level.

But I think he is an early developer who is already approaching his peak. Don't think he will ever become a top 5 player in the comp. This year will be one of his highest brownlow standings in awhile (I don't think anyone thinks he was top 5 this year either). He's just not the type of player who can change the game off his own boot.

For the same reason I also don't rate Nick Daicos that highly either. You just can't call yourself a top 5/top 10 mid when you're not elite in the PRIMARY ROLE of a midfielder that is winning the ball in the middle and generating clearances.

The best players nowadays need to have (1) Ability to win contested footy (2) Ability to leverage speed into meaningful clearances (3) Ability to go forward and kick goals

Patrick Dangerfield's 2017 season was the greatest year I've seen any player have in the last 10 years, and if he was in a Brownlow friendly environment (#1 mid, another less player takes the tag, etc.) he would've broken the Brownlow record as well.
21 year old who weighed 80kgs most of the year and has already put on 5kgs of muscle this off season has no ability to improve his contested game or add other aspects to his game... right...

Also can't kick goals... oh wait ...

Surely it's Horne-Francis. How much did Crows offer?

Imagine what the offer would have been if players could be included in deals on Draft Night.

Consensus in my house was 3x 1sts + Thilthorpe and North would have done it.

Mate, no-one cares about stats. Don't get so wrapped up in the stats movement. Luke Jackson's stats on paper aren't impressive either. Thomas is a jet and deserves to be mentioned in this thread.

Jackson & Thomas are very big boys doing crazy stuff at ground level.

Hard to argue with the Petraca commentary. Or Oliver or Bont.

Petracca can improve quite a lot I think. Younger this year than Dusty was in 2017 and had played about 40 fewer games. Should really start to hit his peak now. Same with Oliver, he’s still only 24.

But I think he is an early developer who is already approaching his peak. Don't think he will ever become a top 5 player in the comp. This year will be one of his highest brownlow standings in awhile (I don't think anyone thinks he was top 5 this year either). He's just not the type of player who can change the game off his own boot.

For the same reason I also don't rate Nick Daicos that highly either. You just can't call yourself a top 5/top 10 mid when you're not elite in the PRIMARY ROLE of a midfielder that is winning the ball in the middle and generating clearances.

The best players nowadays need to have (1) Ability to win contested footy (2) Ability to leverage speed into meaningful clearances (3) Ability to go forward and kick goals

Patrick Dangerfield's 2017 season was the greatest year I've seen any player have in the last 10 years, and if he was in a Brownlow friendly environment (#1 mid, another less player takes the tag, etc.) he would've broken the Brownlow record as well.
He can win it on the inside and out, racks up the ball, one of the most gifted runners in the game, a good kick even if he is not the most damaging kick. Footy IQ off the charts and seems to be adding goal kicking to his game more and more (still only a 3rd year player)

He has very few weaknesses in his game at all and he had a huge leap from year 2 to year 3, no reason to assume he can't keep improving.

4 or 5 clubs could possibly share the best 10 to 15 players in the league in the next few years
Dees petracca, oliver, jackson
Dogs bont, smith, Darcy/ugle
Blues Walsh, McKay, weitering
Roos JHF, Thomas, larkey
Suns Rowell, king, Andrew

This year alone, Walsh was a top 5 player in the comp. Next.

21 year old who weighed 80kgs most of the year and has already put on 5kgs of muscle this off season has no ability to improve his contested game or add other aspects to his game... right...

Also can't kick goals... oh wait ...

You mean how Walsh kicked a grand total of 12 goals which is HALF of Bont (26 goals in H&A games), Petracca 24 goals, Thomas 24 goals?

This year alone, Walsh was a top 5 player in the comp. Next.
Except he wasn't.

Petracca, Oliver, Bont, Steele, Parish, Macrae, Wines were all CLEARLY better than him this year.

And before you bring up Walsh' brownlow ranking, let's not forget Angus Brayshaw came 3rd in brownlow once, and he was most certainly not the 3rd best player in that season.

Brownlow votes are often inflated due to a lack of internal competition (Cripps was garbage this year) and is more of an indication of how many BOG games you had rather than your genuine impact throughout the entire season.

Ultimately I just have no confidence in Walsh to deal with tags in the future. He has outside run, but that can be easily restricted with close attention paid, and he will never become that contested beast and dominate games like Petracca, Bont, Oliver can.

40th in Clearances Per Game
26th in Contested Possessions Per Game

Are not the stats of a top 5 midfielder, and this is without much if any opposition attention this year.

Probably our MVP

If he doesn't sh*t the bed and fumble the ball to Harmes in the GF maybe we don't get momentum and control of the game

May have ice I'm his veins but that quickly turns to water in the big dance

Just put this guy on ignore if you haven't, 24/7 spam anti bulldogs post.

You mean how Walsh kicked a grand total of 12 goals which is HALF of Bont (26 goals in H&A games), Petracca 24 goals, Thomas 24 goals?
Petracca Bont and Thomas all spend time forward more than Walsh. Walsh is one of the best pure midfielders - voted by the coaches, umpires and players whether you like it or not. He's shown the ability to kick goals from the middle and plenty of ability to play an inside role.

Believe it or not sometimes players work on different parts of their games at different times.

Bont and Petracca came in still needing to work on their tanks and consistency hence why they played a lot of forward time early on, Thomas is still doing that now. Walsh came in the league as a sub 70kg wingman, had the workrate and consistency from game 1 and is now in the process of bulking up and adding goal kicking and explosiveness to his game.

Every year he's gotten better and better and every year you've been saying he's going to plateau because he's a skinny kid without the brute strength of Petracca or Dusty.

Great players come in many shapes and sizes and Walsh is on track to be one of them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They all spend significant time forward, 12 goals from a full time mid is not a terrible return and again it was only his 3rd year.

No reason to think that number can't improve.

Except he wasn't.

Petracca, Oliver, Bont, Steele, Parish, Macrae, Wines were all CLEARLY better than him this year.

And before you bring up Walsh' brownlow ranking, let's not forget Angus Brayshaw came 3rd in brownlow once, and he was most certainly not the 3rd best player in that season.

Brownlow votes are often inflated due to a lack of internal competition (Cripps was garbage this year) and is more of an indication of how many BOG games you had rather than your genuine impact throughout the entire season.

Ultimately I just have no confidence in Walsh to deal with tags in the future. He has outside run, but that can be easily restricted with close attention paid, and he will never become that contested beast and dominate games like Petracca, Bont, Oliver can.

Are not the stats of a top 5 midfielder, and this is without much if any opposition attention this year.

Giggle post. I'm sure Caleb Serong could let you know the trials and tribulations of trying to tag Walsh.

I'll give you Petracca, Bont and Oliver, but Walsh was right up there with the guys you've named and better than a couple. I'd personally take his season over Parish and Wines'.

Gun.

Death taxes and North fans chucking Tarryn Thomas' name up as one of the best players in the league yet averages barely 18 touches a game

Bigfooty North fan AFL top 11:

Bont
Oliver
Martin
Simpkin
Petracca
LDU
Greene
Walsh
Thomas
JHF
Cunnington

So many gun players I can only assume they are tanking to finish bottom??

Just put this guy on ignore if you haven't, 24/7 spam anti bulldogs post.
Everything I said about the Bulldogs came true lol

Except he wasn't.

Walsh got 32 more coaches votes than Macrea and came 6th in the voting. Coaches votes are are much better indication than Brownlow votes.

You're under rating Walsh.

Giggle post. I'm sure Caleb Serong could let you know the trials and tribulations of trying to tag Walsh.

I'll give you Petracca, Bont and Oliver, but Walsh was right up there with the guys you've named and better than a couple. I'd personally take his season over Parish and Wines'.

Gun.
You mean that game last year where they both had the same amount of kicks, Walsh had mor handballs and serong had more meters gained? Yep, Walsh really got away from him.

You mean that game last year where they both had the same amount of kicks, Walsh had mor handballs and serong had more meters gained? Yep, Walsh really got away from him.

Classic Bigfooty post - games of footy aren't won via stats.

The same game Serong was plonked on Walsh for 1 and a half quarters where he got worked over to the point Longmuir couldn't bare it anymore and had to to make the change.

Walsh continues killing it and ends up kicking the match winning goal in the last quarter copping 2 Brownlow votes in the process.

Gun.

Yep
He worked him over so much in 1 and a half quarters that he miraculously ended up with the same amount of kicks as his opponent at the end of the game.

Yep
He worked him over so much in 1 and a half quarters that he miraculously ended up with the same amount of kicks as his opponent at the end of the game.
Reckon when the bloke being tagged has 6 more tackles for the game it's pretty clear who was being worked over

Remove this Banner Ad

Back