Opinion Most Valuable Players in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s amazing what a competent coach can do instead of a guy 10 years well past it. Woosha probably should’ve went to the Crows after Walsh passed.
A lot of ess posters on here were pleading with the club to play him as a pure mid. Bizarre the couch coaches had a better idea what was best for a player. 1st full year as a mid and he makes the AA side. Embarrassing for Woosha.

A lot of ess posters on here were pleading with the club to play him as a pure mid. Bizarre the couch coaches had a better idea what was best for a player. 1st full year as a mid and he makes the AA side. Embarrassing for Woosha.
About as embarrassing as a man who is a pharmacist in two clubs with drug cultures

Blues fans been saying the same about SPS Dow and Fisher for years now with Teague playing them on flanks. Will see if we are were correct the same as Don's fans with Parish were, hopefully this coming season.

I find it fascinating how different some coaches view players compared to the majority of fans. From what I've seen generally fans have a better strike rate with it which baffles me considering the coaches spend every other day around players and strategizing during the week.

Blues fans been saying the same about SPS Dow and Fisher for years now with Teague playing them on flanks. Will see if we are were correct the same as Don's fans with Parish were, hopefully this coming season.

I find it fascinating how different some coaches view players compared to the majority of fans. From what I've seen generally fans have a better strike rate with it which baffles me considering the coaches spend every other day around players and strategizing during the week.

Totally agree with your overall point.

Personally, I think Carlton got it right with SPS. Dow has had turns in the midfied and has real limitations. Fisher has been unlucky

I disagree. The posters on here throw darts at a dart board - eventually they will hit the bulls eye. But it’s more luck than skill.

Toby Greene not even mentioned lol@ you lot.

Toby Greene not even mentioned lol@ you lot.
Probably because he’s a 28 year old that has averaged 12 games a season for the past 4 years. Not exactly getting much return there, particularly when he’s suspending himself in finals.

For reference, Sam Walsh (as an example) is 7 years younger, does not frequently suspend himself, has won as many BnFs, has only 1 less AA and only 5 less Brownlow votes.

Probably because he’s a 28 year old that has averaged 12 games a season for the past 4 years. Not exactly getting much return there, particularly when he’s suspending himself in finals.

For reference, Sam Walsh (as an example) is 7 years younger, does not frequently suspend himself, has won as many BnFs, has only 1 less AA and only 5 less Brownlow votes.
Heading says most valuable player in the AFL.
If we're talking under 25 or whatever then that's a different kettle of fish.
Suspensions aside you'd be crazy not having Greene in the conversation.

Heading says most valuable player in the AFL.
If we're talking under 25 or whatever then that's a different kettle of fish.
Suspensions aside you'd be crazy not having Greene in the conversation.

Availability has a huge impact on value though.

The suspensions can't just be separated from the discussion. Of course they are to be considered when evaluating what a player is worth, just as injury history would be.

Availability has a huge impact on value though.

The suspensions can't just be separated from the discussion. Of course they are to be considered when evaluating what a player is worth, just as injury history would be.
One could say his worth went up more due too his suspension.

One could, but no club is playing more for a player because they miss a lot of games.
I'm talking more about worth on the field more than $ wise.
Be interesting though what he's actually worth $ wise if he was on the market.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Prochard is a bit harsh on Walsh and I think he could be a top 5 player in the future, but he wasn't this year. Have Petracca/Bont/Oliver/Steele/Wines/Steele ahead of him at least this year.

You put Steele twice.

This year I would go:

1. Petracca
2. Oliver
3. Bontempelli
4. Walsh
5. Steele

Wines had a good year, deserving Brownlow winner, but Walsh had the superior year.

Also just edges Steele for mine.

You put Steele twice.

This year I would go:

1. Petracca
2. Oliver
3. Bontempelli
4. Walsh
5. Steele

Wines had a good year, deserving Brownlow winner, but Walsh had the superior year.

Steele is a matter of opinion (I was tempted to throw Parish in too but again opinion) but I don't think you can argue he was better than Wines. Wines carried what is quite a shallow midfield to a prelim, Walsh carried Carlton to 8 wins. Walsh likely ends up being a better player over the course of their careers but Wines has been very underrated by Victorians.

Anyway on to the thread topic I think Oliver is the most valuable player at Melbourne price wise. Year younger than Petracca, arguably better, incredibly durable and still improving 6 years into his career.

You have Bont on your list, but not Petracca or Oliver, who are younger?

The best young KPFs (King brothers and McKay) played in teams that didn't make finals. The gun mids are clearly the MVPs in the AFL.
Bont is literally 6 weeks older than Petracca. Oliver is a difference of 8 months, which again is hardly any different.

Bont is literally 6 weeks older than Petracca. Oliver is a difference of 8 months, which again is hardly any different.
So they are younger?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Add another 12 months to Oliver.

You put Steele twice.

This year I would go:

1. Petracca
2. Oliver
3. Bontempelli
4. Walsh
5. Steele

Walsh ahead of Steele?

Steele had more Clearances, more contested possessions, more inside 50’s, more rebound 50’s, more metres gained, more tackles, kicked more goals.

Walsh is very good for his age hence the hype, he stands out in an average team but there are a number of midfielders that had a better 2021 than him.

Walsh ahead of Steele?

Steele had more Clearances, more contested possessions, more inside 50’s, more rebound 50’s, more metres gained, more tackles, kicked more goals.

Walsh is very good for his age hence the hype, he stands out in an average team but there are a number of midfielders that had a better 2021 than him.

You'd take Walsh on age. If signed up long term.

If starting a new team. 'value'

I'd take Steele for the next couple season/s bit more solid. Ditto Oliver. Trac. Bont toby etc

You'd take Walsh on age. If signed up long term.

If starting a new team. 'value'

I'd take Steele for the next couple season/s bit more solid. Ditto Oliver. Trac. Bont toby etc
Yeah the post I was quoting had Walsh the 4th best player now which I totally disagree with. He will be one of the top players for many years to come.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back