Most well known AFL players?

Remove this Banner Ad

thetank

Club Legend
Aug 1, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
Lol many people would not know Goodes.

Recent: Ablett Jnr, Buddy. GAJ more recognisable, Buddy with the Jesinta connection.

Past: Carey.

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Mason Cox is front page news in Texas every time he gets a game for the biggest club in the world.

aflcliche

Club Legend
May 26, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
The booed indigenous player
The big boxing thug
The son of the best player that could be even better
The teammates wife affair guy
The Big Dipper
The hot drug addict
The hot tattooed guy
The blonde tip top guy

Mar 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Is there an age-limit for these non=fans?
Each of these 10, (11) for varying but self-evident reasons?

Leigh Matthews
Ted Whitten
Sam Newman
Malcolm Blight
Ron Barassi
Gary Abletts-
Wayne Carey
Dermott Brereton
Buddy Franklin
Dustin Martin

Younger than dead.

Sadly, those that make the headlines for the wrong reasons...

So Cousins, Carey, Hird, Sammy, Ablett Snr, Fev? Maybe Swanny and Dusty, perhaps unfairly.

Mason Cox is front page news in Texas every time he gets a game for the biggest club in the world.

I know you are being sarcastic, because they couldn't give two stuffs. But maybe Ben Graham, Sav Rocca Chris Bryan, Nathan Chapman and Darren Bennett for their NFL exploits?

Marty Clarke in Ireland maybe, as he was one of the best Gaelic players in Ireland between his Collingwood stints?

Nick Stone as founder of Blue Stone.

Fitzy for his media exploits which crossed out of sports? Fev is becoming another.

Travis Fimmel trained with the Saints before his modelling and acting days, apparently. Warnie played U19s for the Saints, but never played seniors. Do they count?

Didn't Lindsay Fox play for the Saints as well. He'd be right up there. What is it with that club? All their players seem to want to run away to different careers! All the spoons I suppose.

Simon O'Donnell and Keith Miller would be pretty well known from their cricket days, particularly Miller who was one of the greats and would be known to some in the UK and on the Subcontinent.

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Pastor Sir Doug Nicholls.

54 games for Fitzroy, 3rd in the Brownlow, then bloody Governor of South Australia FFS.

(And famous as the first indigenous Australian to be knighted, and the first to achieve vice-regal office.)

Younger than dead.

So Cousins, Carey, Hird, Sammy, Ablett Snr, Fev? Maybe Swanny and Dusty, perhaps unfairly.

I know you are being sarcastic, because they couldn't give two stuffs. But maybe Ben Graham, Sav Rocca Chris Bryan, Nathan Chapman and Darren Bennett for their NFL exploits?

Marty Clarke in Ireland maybe, as he was one of the best Gaelic players in Ireland between his Collingwood stints?

Nick Stone as founder of Blue Stone.

Fitzy for his media exploits which crossed out of sports? Fev is becoming another.

Travis Fimmel trained with the Saints before his modelling and acting days, apparently. Warnie played U19s for the Saints, but never played seniors. Do they count?

Didn't Lindsay Fox play for the Saints as well. He'd be right up there. What is it with that club? All their players seem to want to run away to different careers! All the spoons I suppose.

Simon O'Donnell and Keith Miller would be pretty well known from their cricket days, particularly Miller who was one of the greats and would be known to some in the UK and on the Subcontinent.
Can vouch for Marty Clarke actually. Met a few Irish boys in Spain and we bonded over the Clarke connection for a bit.

seysearles

Supreme Leader
Oct 5, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The wife/girlfriend comments on here make me laugh. I get some hilarious feedback from mine. For some reason she thinks that Burgoyne and Cyril are the same player. Cyril Burgoyne. Im like 95% sure she still thinks that Buddy plays for Hawthorn. Cameron Ling is "that ugly one" It actually blows my mind considering how much i bang on about football how utterly detached she is from it. Most non-football supporting people will tend to remember players based on non-football narratives rather than their talent as footballers. I think you would find Cousins Goodes and Buddy would top that list.

seysearles

Supreme Leader
Oct 5, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Can vouch for Marty Clarke actually. Met a few Irish boys in Spain and we bonded over the Clarke connection for a bit.

Every time i speak with Irish guys I bring up AFL/Gaelic/International Rules and they all jump quickly to Jim Stynes. While they may not know a lot about football they're all super proud that Stynes won an "All Star Player of the Year Award" (aka Brownlow). They usually then immediately start banging on about what thugs the Aussie players are. :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sprout

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 6, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, The Exers
Just asked the non footy following wife to name as many AFL players as she can from any era:

Easton Wood (she knows his brother)
Barry Hall
Bob Murphy
Ben Cousins
Chris Judd
Nick Riewoldt
Jack Riewoldt
Plugger
Fitzy
Nic Natanui
James Hird

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Cousins.gif

Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
The booed indigenous player
The big boxing thug
The son of the best player that could be even better
The teammates wife affair guy
The Big Dipper
The hot drug addict
The hot tattooed guy
The blonde tip top guy
Sounds like a typical stroll on a Sydney beach.

Followed shortly by 'insert s**t beers here'

Sherrinator

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2004
SEQLD
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
BBFFC, Southport AFC
Players have the personality of a wet rag these days, which doesn't help.

That and the Lions/Suns are perennial non-winners. Gary Ablett is probably the only player more than 20 percent of people could name (the general populace knows 0 Lions players).

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Buddy Franklin (the clear number one)
Dusty Martin
Patrick Dangerfield
Maybe Ablett but he's now in the twilight if his career

Are the top three at the moment. After that there's a bit of a drop-off in prominence to non-AFL fans. The second tier is names like Fyfe, Selwood, and Naitanui.

But to put it in perspective, as a non-NRL fan I cannot name one single NRL player except Jarryd Hayne. The only EPL players I can name are Steve Gerrard and David Beckham, and both are retired.

Dynamics

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
I live in QLD and up here, of the current players, it would be Buddy. The Gold Coast connection gives Ablett a fair profile.

Of the past players it would be Aker, Voss and Brown. campaigner also had a big profile for obvious reasons.

Dynamics

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Buddy Franklin (the clear number one)
Dusty Martin
Patrick Dangerfield
Maybe Ablett but he's now in the twilight if his career

Are the top three at the moment. After that there's a bit of a drop-off in prominence to non-AFL fans. The second tier is names like Fyfe, Selwood, and Naitanui.

But to put it in perspective, as a non-NRL fan I cannot name one single NRL player except Jarryd Hayne. The only EPL players I can name are Steve Gerrard and David Beckham, and both are retired.

If he keeps going the way he is this season, everyone's going to know the name Mo Salah pretty soon. 17 goals in 21 games. He's having an absurdly good year.

But you're right, there are plenty of star players in the EPL but not many international household names in the same way those two were, or say Messi or Ronaldo are in La Liga.

Would Dusty be that well known?

He obviously had a break through year this year on field, but most non-fans wouldn't care about that.

At least Dangerfield had a lengthy contract/trade dispute that made the news...and a more unique name.
And Dangerfield has made himself accessible by doing commercials, his fishing show, and general media

Remove this Banner Ad

Back