Not open for further replies.

Craze

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers
Round 7, Sunday 13th May 1990, Richmond take on Geelong at Kardinia Park. To that point Richmond had won one game, against Fitzroy. Geelong were coming off a narrow grand final loss the year before, full of stars, we're predicted to play finals, and routinely pumped Richmond (what's changed?). Young Trent Nichols played a great game, and we won 13.18.96, to 9.28.82. A great childhood memory for me given that I have relatives in Geelong and we were actually down there for the day.

Round 8, Sunday 12th May 1991, Richmond take on reigning premier Collingwood at the 'G'. Richmond were starting to play better footy, and were completely ripped off not to beat Essendon in Round 2, losing virtually on the last kick of the day when Bomber Thompson goaled (the only time I've actually cried at the footy). So to this point in the year we had won one game (yes, against the Roy boys), and came out and absolutely spanked Collingwood (after trailing by 15 points at 1/4 time). Hoggy kicked 10, Dale Weightman, Matty Knights, Craig Lambert, Chris Naish and Wayne Campbell dominated. Even Anthony Banik played well. Final scores Richmond 24.15.159, Collingwood 15.12.102. A great day surrounded by Collingwood supporters in the Ponsford Stand :D

Sorry all. Obviously belongs on Richmond board. Could mods fix?

Round 7, Sunday 13th May 1990, Richmond take on Geelong at Kardinia Park. To that point Richmond had won one game, against Fitzroy. Geelong were coming off a narrow grand final loss the year before, full of stars, we're predicted to play finals, and routinely pumped Richmond (what's changed?). Young Trent Nichols played a great game, and we won 13.18.96, to 9.28.82. A great childhood memory for me given that I have relatives in Geelong and we were actually down there for the day.

Round 8, Sunday 12th May 1991, Richmond take on reigning premier Collingwood at the 'G'. Richmond were starting to play better footy, and were completely ripped off not to beat Essendon in Round 2, losing virtually on the last kick of the day when Bomber Thompson goaled (the only time I've actually cried at the footy). So to this point in the year we had won one game (yes, against the Roy boys), and came out and absolutely spanked Collingwood (after trailing by 15 points at 1/4 time). Hoggy kicked 10, Dale Weightman, Matty Knights, Craig Lambert, Chris Naish and Wayne Campbell dominated. Even Anthony Banik played well. Final scores Richmond 24.15.159, Collingwood 15.12.102. A great day surrounded by Collingwood supporters in the Ponsford Stand :D

I remember the Collingwood game because I was at my ex's folks for a boring Mother's Day gathering with all her stupid relatives which was driving me crazy so jumped in the car, turned on the radio and listened to the last half with a few vb's and a joint.
Ex was not amused especially when I told her she had to drive home. Got the silent treatment for a couple of days.

Sorry all. Obviously belongs on Richmond board. Could mods fix?

I think it has some relevance here.

I'm also loathe to move threads to club boards without express permission from the mods there. Please consult with them if you really want it there. Thanks.

I was at that game, Geelong's kicking was atrocious though, 28 behinds. A fond memory in a decade, and decades to come of shite.

The very first derby became known as the Mother's Day Massacre after a hardened eagles team beat up on our team of youngsters.

eagles fans had no problem with the rough stuff back then, but they changed their tune pretty quick when the likes of Josh Carr turned the tables years later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those not old enough to realise, Timmy from Thomastown is not my real name Hes in fact a fake "caller" who used to "ring" the Coodabeen champions and make lame questions to Tony Leanord, usually about Craig Starcevic and wherther he can win the Brownlow. (Ironically he might have won the Norm Smith if Daniher hadnt sent him into next week but thats another story)

Another caller was "Digger" who has been following Collingwood for 86 years (thats a very long time, Tony). He "called" the week after the 91 mothers day massacre and complained about the scheduling of the game on Mothers Day.
"I've got a complaint Tony. Richmond only beat Collingwood becausre Darren Millane wasnt playing. Its not fair"
"Well he was injured, Digger, thats nobodys fault"
"No he wasnt"
"Well why didnt he play then"
"Because it was Mothers Day. HE LOVES HIS MUM TONY.....ITS A DISGRACE....THE AFL HAVE TO STOP CHEATING, COLLINGWOOD NEEDS AN EQUAL CHANCE!!!!"

Last edited:

That Richmond game in 1990 just about tops my 'top 10' worst Geelong games ever to be frank. Ugh!! 9.28.82 what a disaster that was. I think Geelong managed to go from 5.5 at 1/4 time to 5.20 as well....simply disgusting footy. (at least from a Cat fan's perspective).

That Mother's day massacre game was just about KB's apogee as a coach, hard to think about 15 weeks later he was sacked. Not many have done better since, although can't help but feel if Northey remained a Tiger coach, he'd have taken them places. Richmond had a reasonably talented side in the mid 90's, with Knights, Free, Maxfield, Hogg, Campbell, Broderick and a young Richo. But 1995 and 2001 were their only finals forays until last year.

The very first derby became known as the Mother's Day Massacre after a hardened eagles team beat up on our team of youngsters.

eagles fans had no problem with the rough stuff back then, but they changed their tune pretty quick when the likes of Josh Carr turned the tables years later.

5109834+_e03cbfdc4e290ca81c66b2b9bd017c4d.png

For those not old enough to realise, Timmy from Thomastown is not my real name Hes in fact a fake "caller" who used to "ring" the Coodabeen champions and make lame questions to Tony Leanord, usually about Craig Starcevic and wherther he can win the Brownlow. (Ironically he might have won the Norm Smith if Daniher hadnt sent him into next week but thats another story)

Another caller was "Digger" who has been following Collingwood for 86 years (thats a very long time, Tony). He "called" the week after the 91 mothers day massacre and complained about the scheduling of the game on Mothers Day.
"I've got a complaint Tony. Richmond only beat Collingwood becausre Darren Millane wasnt playing. Its not fair"
"Well he was injured, Digger, thats nobodys fault"
"No he wasnt"
"Well why didnt he play then"
"Because it was Mothers Day. HE LOVES HIS MUM TONY.....ITS A DISGRACE....THE AFL HAVE TO STOP CHEATING, COLLINGWOOD NEEDS AN EQUAL CHANCE!!!!"
Ah yes I fondly remember talkback with Tony ... 'go ahead please, you're talking to 'Tone''.

Another of my favourite calls by Digger was when he rang up and complained that Collingwood allowed a small contingent if Richmond supporters in to Vic Park to watch Collingwood-Richmond in 1990. They were hanging from the trees that day, and yet according to Digger 'WHY WERE THERE ANY RICHMOND SUPPORTERS ALLOWED IN. WHAT ABOUT ALL THOSE POOR COLLINGWOOD SUPPORTERS WWHO MISSED OUT! Great stuff.

Wasn't John Mrakov in the side, having crossed from Collingwood at the end of the previous season, and as such had all the inside info which helped plot their downfall?

Darren Millane didnt play that day either. Its not fair, Tony!!!
Tarkyn Lockyer did though. Played his usual role as Jeff Farmer's bitch in a back pocket IIRC.

We were so woeful that day that Lockyer was our top goal scorer.

I cant remember when, but im pretty sure we gave Freo a bath on Mothers day one year....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back