Motlop --- good choice/fit for the Crows? (chooses Port)

Do you want AFC to do their best to get Motlop?

• Yes

Votes: 133 50.4%
  • No

Votes: 55 20.8%
  • Meh

Votes: 76 28.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW, we lost Travis Varcoe to Pies a few years ago, a swap so we got Clark, and I was devastated. Always loved Varcoe. Reading the Pies board at about this time, their reactions were similar- mixed. 2 years later they love him. And Motlop is meant to be the better player.

Motlop is hated by many over on the Geelong board so you can't blame us for being wary of him. He's too damned hot & cold and we don't want players like that at Adelaide. When you pay big money for an established player you expect consistency.

Last edited:
I'm not sure but there was talk about motlop leaving in the second half of the year.. I'm not so sure the Crows interest has come out of nowhere either.
Perhaps Crows were hoping to convince Charlie to stay and only put in a last minute bid for Motlop when they realised nothing was changing Charlie's mind.

We need more classy, quick outside mids so Motlop fits the bill.

I am not certain that he is a good fit our club and the Menzel experience has probably made us wary of unfulfilled talent.

Motlop is hated by many over on the Geelong board so you can't blame us for being weary of him. He's too damned hot & cold and we don't want players like that at Adelaide. When you pay big money for an established player you expect consistency.
He's not hatable. I'd be wary. But he was our best against you in the Prelim, and pretty good when we beat Swans. His best is outstanding. More than you can say about at least 15 on our list.

I am confused, Lame Cornes spouting “Crows mega $600k deal” for Motlop and yet no mention of what the Latte Bushrangers (Poor Powa) are offering him?? Coincidence, I think not.

Chris Davies: Kane, we've offered Motlop $500k but the Crows have jumped in with a higher offer which is highly irritating. Can you help us out by stirring some s**t?
Kane Cornes: I'm on it!

Hearing a lot of people talk about Motlop fitness levels, and that he is lazy
Maybe they should pay more attention to his GPS numbers.
The main criticism at Geelong was his alleged lack of tackling, but he is the classical outside receiver/finisher, all teams need several of these, and he is certainly not soft. If he has a sense of self-preservation, to me it means he has a brain. Better for the team if he is in, not injured. His shoulders have been dodgy from early in his career. His gut running can not be questioned.

Hearing a lot of people talk about Motlop fitness levels, and that he is lazy
Maybe they should pay more attention to his GPS numbers.
Perhaps lazy isn't the right word for it, because David Mackay clocks a lot of GPS kilometres too and we know he's not lazy; he's just ineffective. Defensively lazy is probably the better term.

Perhaps lazy isn't the right word for it, because David Mackay clocks a lot of GPS kilometres too and we know he's not lazy; he's just ineffective. Defensively lazy is probably the better term.
Motlop and Menzel have not played in our premiership team 2011. I hope they get to play in one somewhere before their use by dates. They have both been criticised for the highlighted. Not my opinion- I get that they are there for goals. But the MC sees it differently, which is fair enough- the buck stops with them.

Motlop is hated by many over on the Geelong board so you can't blame us for being wary of him. He's too damned hot & cold and we don't want players like that at Adelaide. When you pay big money for an established player you expect consistency.
Inconsistent. He will fit right in at adelaide.:) Seriously he was the cats best against the crows in the prelim. He is an upgrade on Cameron who has played 2 good games in 2 years. Also losing smith and now cameron has hurt our pace big time and Motlop's pace was noticeable throughout the prelim.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Motlop won me over in his prelim match against the crows. In a good environment he can be a lot more consistent. Needs to get fitter but i think he would add pace to our team that is needed without smith and cc.
In a good environment? Mate, our club has the runs on the board when it comes to providing a good environment for players to thrive. Perhaps you didn't mean to imply that we didn't, but I just wanted to state that for the record.

If you guys want him, good luck to you. With Charlie expected to walk, Steven at his best would be a great inclusion. Even at his best, though, he's rarely a two-way runner, so don't expect him to apply the pressure that Charlie does, ever.

I believe that I speak on behalf of most Geelong supporters when I say that I wouldn't be too fussed to see him leave, but happy for him to stay, too. As mentioned above, his best is incredible but his worst is deplorable.

Inconsistency seemingly comes with the territory of being a Motlop. Caveat emptor.

No disrespect to geelong.. But we got a pretty damn good record recently with trading in half decent players and making them damn good players. Ie Jenkins lynch betts etc. Ill back in the club to get motlop playing his best again. 500k is ok for Motlop. At worst might be another Ronnie burns.

Inconsistent. He will fit right in at adelaide.:) Seriously he was the cats best against the crows in the prelim. He is an upgrade on Cameron who has played 2 good games in 2 years. Also losing smith and now cameron has hurt our pace big time and Motlop's pace was noticeable throughout the prelim.
You guys r outta ur mind. Charlie was amongst our best at the start of the season until our first loss of the season

The main criticism at Geelong was his alleged lack of tackling, but he is the classical outside receiver/finisher, all teams need several of these, and he is certainly not soft. If he has a sense of self-preservation, to me it means he has a brain. Better for the team if he is in, not injured. His shoulders have been dodgy from early in his career. His gut running can not be questioned.

Averages 2.3 a game over his career - on par with Andy Mcleod, so can live with that from an outside mid.

I havent seen a lot of him, how would you rate his footskills? Did you ever run him off half back?
Rather than replace Charlie i wonder if he covers Brodie Smith next year?

In a good environment? Mate, our club has the runs on the board when it comes to providing a good environment for players to thrive. Perhaps you didn't mean to imply that we didn't, but I just wanted to state that for the record.

If you guys want him, good luck to you. With Charlie expected to walk, Steven at his best would be a great inclusion. Even at his best, though, he's rarely a two-way runner, so don't expect him to apply the pressure that Charlie does, ever.

I believe that I speak on behalf of most Geelong supporters when I say that I wouldn't be too fussed to see him leave, but happy for him to stay, too. As mentioned above, his best is incredible but his worst is deplorable.

Inconsistency seemingly comes with the territory of being a Motlop. Caveat emptor.
Was talking about the environment in regards to the coach losing faith in him and possibly wanting him out. He also seems to be the whipping boy at times but that seems to be media driven. Sometimes a change is what a player needs and if he does come hopefully he is a betts mark 2.

You guys r outta ur mind. Charlie was amongst our best at the start of the season until our first loss of the season
I agree. Unfortunately I think Charlie unhappiness has effected his footy. I suspect that he will go to the next level once he's up in Brisbane. Charlie will be streets ahead of Motlop with an end of career comparison. Still, if Charlie is gone, Motlop is a reasonable replacement as there aren't any other Charlie's around. as a fan , I feel that this loss will hurt the most.

Charlie tackles and Motlop doesnt. No comparison there. I would have preferred to keep Menzel as at least he does tackle. He just doesnt find enough of the ball.

No disrespect to geelong.. But we got a pretty damn good record recently with trading in half decent players and making them damn good players. Ie Jenkins lynch betts etc. Ill back in the club to get motlop playing his best again. 500k is ok for Motlop. At worst might be another Ronnie burns.

Motlop has been in 'self-preservation' mode for the past 3 years (injury prone), his body is fragile and for that reason he rarely gives 100% effort, particularly in the defensive side of things as he squibs contests A LOT.

There's no doubt that he has talent but I think his number 1 concern is too not get injured (himself basically and not the team) so as to keep getting contracts to play footy. For that reason I differ from a lot of Geelong supporters who say they wouldn't mind seeing him stay. I don't want him near our best 22 ever again because his lack of commitment to the ball when it is there to be won is clearly noticed by other Geelong players and it definitely affects their attitude as well.

If one player is not prepared to carry their weight than it has a ripple effect on the rest of team and I can't blame them for thinking about was in their own personal interest instead of what's in the best interest of the team.

Last edited:
Motlop has been in 'self-preservation' mode for the past 3 years (injury prone), his body is fragile and for that reason he rarely gives 100% effort, particularly in the defensive side of things as he squibs contests A LOT.

There's no doubt that he has talent but I think his number 1 concern is too not get injured (himself basically and not the team) so as to keep getting contracts to play footy. For that reason I differ from a lot of Geelong supporters who say they wouldn't mind seeing him stay. I don't want him near our best 22 ever again because his lack of commitment to the ball when it is there to be won is clearly noticed by other Geelong players and it definitely affects their attitude as well.

If one player is not prepared to carry their weight than it has a ripple effect on the rest of team and I can't blame them for thinking about was in their own personal interest instead of what's in the best interest of the team.
The days of the unaccountable outside player are surely over. In the PF he ran everywhere and had little impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back