• Yes

Votes: 64 28.1%
  • No

Votes: 84 36.8%
  • Only For The Right Price

Votes: 80 35.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Which is ridiculous to me. Why would we prioritize draft picks over quality 25 year old players now when our flag window is right now and next year? And the fact we've gone out and bought all the players we need means that money shouldn't be an issue. You can't overspend on the salary cap unless you've severely back ended contracts and it's going to bite you on the ass. AND, if that were the case, i'd have faith the Cats would be looking at other options such as offloading multiple $200-$300k fringe players who aren't going to be winning us big finals any time soon.

You still need wriggle room for contract negotiations to keep guys like Cockatoo, Kolodjashnij, etc. whose contracts will be increasing over the next five years.

The only way I could understand if (IF it happened) is that they know for certain that he is going to leave as a free agent at the end of next year and want more bargaining room by doing it now. Otherwise i wouldnt understand it.

The only way I could understand if (IF it happened) is that they know for certain that he is going to leave as a free agent at the end of next year and want more bargaining room by doing it now. Otherwise i wouldnt understand it.
I still wouldn't understand it.
Let's say we won the flag next year. We'd get pick 19 as compo.
I can't see us getting any better this year. And we get another year with him.

Yeah i guess so. Unless there is a problem with him behind the scenes that we dont know about, hard to justify it IMO.

Depends if they think they have a big free agent coming to us next year. If they do then there is no compo pick for motlop. This was a factor with trading varcoe a year early and danger coming in.

But i agree with you still i would hold motlop even if he leaves next year he might help us win another flag next year with his skill.

Depends if they think they have a big free agent coming to us next year. If they do then there is no compo pick for motlop. This was a factor with trading varcoe a year early and danger coming in.

But i agree with you still i would hold motlop even if he leaves next year he might help us win another flag next year with his skill.

No guarantee AFL will keep compo picks for FA into the future, or that the FA compo will remain half decent.

The window is this year and next year so I would keep him and risk it.

No guarantee AFL will keep compo picks for FA into the future, or that the FA compo will remain half decent.

If the afl were to rule out compo, they'd be complete idiots to not give the clubs a 2 or 3 year heads up.

Surely he's worth more than pick 19. I would have though around p 10 at least.

I mean we got p21 for Bundy, which everyone though was unders at the time and he was OOC and HAD to go. At least we have the leverage here... he's required, contracted and a significantly better footballer.

I mean we got p21 for Bundy, which everyone though was unders at the time and he was OOC and HAD to go. At least we have the leverage here... he's required, contracted and a significantly better footballer.
Agree we need to get more but when Bundy was at his best he was a better player in my opinion. Motlop needs to work at seizing the moments forward. He doesn't have a spot in the midfield. Bundy was a very good midfielder.

You still need wriggle room for contract negotiations to keep guys like Cockatoo, Kolodjashnij, etc. whose contracts will be increasing over the next five years.
Mid-tier players increasing in value is offset by veterans leaving the club. Losing Bartel, Enright, Lonergan (who would all be on more $$$ then the mid tier players) and whoever else over the next year or two would drop our rolling average of wage per player back down thus freeing up cap space for those guys who deserve it to move into. Very rarely in a club like ours would younger players (same would probably go for Hawks and Sydney) be on a higher wage than the vets.

Plus i'd doubt we're paying 100% of the salary cap as it stands now

I'm against getting rid of him unless we get bowled over with a deal and need the salary cap relief. Although it should be noted that despite the constant comparisons, he actually doesn't play anything like Cyril Rioli and never has (sort of makes you wonder why they're constantly compared, doesn't it?). His season, numbers-wise, has actually been closer to this guy than anyone...and he'd be available dirt-cheap for a season, just quietly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm against getting rid of him unless we get bowled over with a deal and need the salary cap relief. Although it should be noted that despite the constant comparisons, he actually doesn't play anything like Cyril Rioli and never has (sort of makes you wonder why they're constantly compared, doesn't it?). His season, numbers-wise, has actually been closer to this guy than anyone...and he'd be available dirt-cheap for a season, just quietly.
He has 6 goals less than rioli and a lot lot more possessions this season.

He has 6 goals less than rioli and a lot lot more possessions this season.

And then you factor in other stats like bounces and tackles (where one has several times more than the other) and it's a bit embarrassing that they're compared, as far as I'm concerned. Harvey and Motlop, on the other hand, are very similar in output across the board.

Oh look, if there was a bidding war then sure.
But we aren't talking pick 5.

It might be pick 14.
I'd rather play him for a year and suck it up, and take 19 next year.

The afl is stupid with rule changes so you never know.
But still i agree we are in the window,trading motlop for picks does not help that. If we can trade motlop for another A grade player then thats another matter but i would rather keep him.

Hopefully the club and Motlop don't listen to this thread. Mots is a game changer and as such like SJ before him is also frustrating at times. Mots did much better than Cyril fri but because C7 love him especially Bruce every time he comes into view they are in raptures. But mots gets nothing. Mots is a sensitive guy who chose to stay at geel on less money. I wish this thread would die a natural death and Mots gets a chance to sing after the GF this year. I would not be surprised if he hits ignition button in a prelim or GF and then everyone is going on and on about him. How good etc. etc.

Andare gatti!!

Hopefully the club and Motlop don't listen to this thread. Mots is a game changer and as such like SJ before him is also frustrating at times. Mots did much better than Cyril fri but because C7 love him especially Bruce every time he comes into view they are in raptures. But mots gets nothing. Mots is a sensitive guy who chose to stay at geel on less money. I wish this thread would die a natural death and Mots gets a chance to sing after the GF this year. I would not be surprised if he hits ignition button in a prelim or GF and then everyone is going on and on about him. How good etc. etc.

Andare gatti!!
My only concern with Motlop is that when he plays poorly and is out of form, he tends not to chase. At the end of the day if he chased when out of form, he would still make a very valuable contribution to the side. However, sometimes he doesn't chase. He is at his best when he chases and plays two ways. His defensive work when on is nearly as good as his offensive work.

The other thing I think he needs to do is when he is out of form, he still goes for the miracle kick that he pulls off when in form, sometimes, you just need to get back to basics and do a normal simple kick to build yourself back up. If he did a normal simple kick when things aren't going his way, he would be far more effective when out of form.

I think he just needs to work on these couple of things so he is still a valuable player when out of form. He deserves the criticism as his consistency isn't great. Doing these things would make the gulf far smaller. That being said, I was very impressed with his work ethic last week and I think he is coming into form at the right part of the season. I think he played a ripper with great pressure when it counted. To even have the ability to win the ball and have that shot near the end was the signs of a very good player. He could have worked himself perfectly into it.

I think everyone would rather Motlop stay if he manages to work that little bit harder when out of form.

Agreed. Absolutely. However this thread isn't how do we lift Mots game (as we did with GAJ) when out of form; its to trade him! Mitch Duncan has been out of form and off the pace; he tackles Hill and then suddenly Hill gets the ball off poppy and kicks a goal all whilst mitch is still on the ground. His second efforts are not so good.

I can only imagine that everyone starts this type of stuff because they can see what he might be if he could bring that bit extra. Its just not in his nature. With everything you need to take a little of the bad with the good I think whilst not excusing the bad.

Andare gatti!!

Haha god no. Danger came for around 800k. I think it was Caro who said we refused to budge on just under 500 and that's what he's on. He was offered 700+ elsewhere but decided to stay.

On Footy Classified, Craig Hutchison said that he thought Motlop's salary would be in the 700k range. Caro asked him to confirm that and he ummed and ahhed about whether it was actually 700k, or closer to 500k. I'd be interested to know how he knows. Personally, I'm a fan of Motlop's, but I think Dangerfield, Selwood, Taylor and Hawkins should all be on more and there'd be several players that should be on similar salaries. Is Clark still on big money? I'm not sure how they could possibly pay Motlop 700k, even if they wanted to.

Back