Motorbikes

Remove this Banner Ad

Did you end up going ahead with it?

Also, Klyntonius, how have you got your track bike set up?

PBF, my trackbike is an ex-racebike (apparently ex Floyd Parkes Kawasaki as ridden by Wayne Maxwell :thumbsu: ) and has been built to supersport specs with tuned front forks, Wilbers rear shock, racing cam, full Akropovic exhaust system and Kawasaki racing ecu and wiring loom and I'm sure more stuff too.
I need to tinker with the suspension as the dude who had the bike before me was waaay faster and so the suspension is setup much too hard for me and I feel quite at-sea aboard the bike. Also, I had a small crash in damp conditions two track days ago and combined with unsuited suspension settings it has me completely spooked and devoid of confidence so I'm hoping to do another track day in late October with suspension fettled more comfortably and new tires.

If anyone is looking at getting a new dirt bike I highly recommend the 2012 ktm 350 exc-f I have clocked up about 600ks now and omg this bike is a thing of beauty.

I went and saw TT3D: Closer to the Edge at the movies last night. It was a really worthwhile film though I must say, being about the Isle of Man TT with its history - recent and distant - it had me sucking in the deep breaths at times after lasts weekends MotoGP. It's only in selected cinemas until Tuesday or Wednesday so I recommend you organise to see if before it disappears.

Shorts? :p Dunno of anything cooler and as protective as kevlar jeans for riding. Perhaps wear full leathers for a couple of days and the Draggins will feel more comfortable! :D

Looking at going for my bike licence and am looking for a bike in the 250 range as i will be restricted to it for the first year, was looking at a kawasaki ninja 250r but am hearing mixed reviews from people. The question has probably been done to death but are there any good 250's you would recommed starting out on? Really looking forward to finally getting out there.

All the best getting your licence, Crazyfists! Motorcycling is a brilliant hobby, regardless of the pace you wish to travel. Does WA not have a Learner Approved Motorcycle (LAMs) scheme? I know this scheme exists in other states which allows the use of approved bikes of engine capacities up to 660cc (I think). I'm a fan of the larger capacity bikes as they're easier to ride with more torque than a smaller capacity 250.
I like the little Ninja 250R but then I'm biased with 2 Kwaks in my garage. They're a good, basic little bike and most criticism is that they're overpriced for what you get but they had a price drop when the new Honda CBR250R was released. There's not so many options for 250's of that sort of style. There's the Ninja 250R as you know and the Honda CBR250R and the only other one I can think of is the Hyosung GT250R which I think look alright and reviews seem to be positive but the word on the street about build quality and reliability are less than glowing.

I think the best thing to do is check out some dealerships and have a sit on a few bikes or even get a test once you've got your licence. The jap bikes are well built and will be reliable, just gotta find what is comfortable and most importantly, gives ya a buzz everytime you look at it and throw your leg over for a ride. All the best! :thumbsu:

Haha Klyntonius, if you can keep it a secret, i have already been rocking the shorts for short trips around town, but not for the longer trips.

Cazyfists, as we don't have LAM's over here (yet, although there are always rumours of it coming in at some stage) there is a good range of 250's to choose from.

All depends what you want to go for. If you are after a faired sports bike, there are the usual suspects, but as far as a good performer, general consensus is that the VTR250 is pretty hard to top.

Thanks Klyntonius and PBF! Appreciate it! Will definetly have a good look around for the right bike and hopefully after the year is up go for my R class! I have had my C class licence for a bit over 2 years now so i dont think i have to do a log book on a bike? Anyway thanks again fellas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I ran some Conti Road Attacks on the ZX6 and they were plenty good for my pedestrian pace. My riding mainly consisted of some weekend scratching and a couple of longer trips including a couple of Snowy rides that were around 4000kms in 10 days. Can't remember mileage but I was happpy with 'em. Also, Michelin Pilot Roads and Bridgestone BT023s are popular choices as long wearing but good gripping sports touring tires.

Any bike enthusiasts keen to join a dream team league?

We have it half filled with riders from around the place. Would be good to fill it with people that ride.

After showing impressive speed from the first two rounds but not capitalising on it with a couple of mistakes, Lascorz headed into the official world superbike test to look for further improvement. However, Joan had a nasty high speed accident that has left him terribly injured with a broken collarbone and shoulder blade, and fracturing his T6 vertebra whish caused elongation of the spine.

Kawasaki Provec statement:

“Yesterday at 23:00 successfully completed the operation that you performed to correct the displacement of the T6 vertebra that caused the elongation of the spine.

“At 9:30 this morning the pilot was still asleep. Throughout the morning, a CT scan will be performed to assess the extent of the injury.

“Medical services Maggiore Hospital of Bologna and the medical staff that will take over in Barcelona and are in contact for transfer of the rider.

“The Real Spanish Federation of Motorcycling is already managing the return of the rider when the physician may deem appropriate.

“Throughout the afternoon we will hear more about the status of the rider.”

I hope he can make a full recovery but Spanish and Italian media are already reporting lower body paralysis. I really hope they are jumping the gun and guessing and he will recover, whether he races again or not. My thoughts are with you Joan.

The news is sounding more and more grim. There are reports of fractures to his C5 and C6 vertebrae and suffering quadraplegia and that he is fighting for his life. I'm so sad.

For anyone interested, "I, Superbiker" will be playing for a short time at selected cinemas soon which is basically a cinematic recap of the 2010 British Superbike Championship. Following is the trailor.

[youtube]zmNmSkxg2bE[/youtube]

Former World Superbike racer and 500GP race winner, Simon Crafar, is currently a rider instructor in South Africa. It's nice to know he still has 'it'.

[youtube]bXU2PwNqe-4[/youtube]

So the Isle of Man TT is on at the moment and Mark Webber is one of the interested spectators. He was pretty impressed by John McPint, er, McGuinness passing by. :D

The TT is high on the bucket list. Amazing event. Randy Mamola and Kevin Schwantz did demonstration laps around the TT circuit and came away gobsmacked. Australian, Josh Brookes, who is racing in the British Superbike Championship also did a demo lap only at a rapid pace as he tried chasing Michael Dunlop around the track! He is now talking up the possibility of racing there next year, if he can find a team owner who will let him...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back