Motorsport photos

May 7, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
A couple of mine from last year at Mallala.

ufl5.jpg

cwca.jpg

t6l7.jpg

Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
That's the s**t Doc_ ! That's what I want to see! I'm sure the others love seeing the same stuff at PI over again, but it's good to see new stuff from other states. It'd be good if SA and WA had another circuit they could use for their local motorsport. Was that a one off, or do you go to Mallala often? (One of the few tracks I've driven on)

May 7, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just went out there last year to a kart meet a guy from work was racing in. I went out there cause I just got my camera. I'm a huge motor sport fan but s**t its a long way to go. Loved it and gotta get back out there again.

Aug 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Ok, so obviously it was a bad weekend at PI. I wasn't there on Sunday, went Saturday instead. I was actually a little bored with the day. But that's a good thing when compared to what happened on Sunday.

I spoke to this guy about 1/2 hour before the fvee race. He had a good paint job which you can't really tell on the photo, the blue and red stripes go along the left hand side of the nose cone, so he gets uploaded.

PI vscrc 050.JPG

A new aero package.

PI vscrc 051.JPG

More people in the stand now, than 6 days before.

PI vscrc 053.JPG

PI vscrc 054.JPG

Aug 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Went to the first day of Rally Victoria yesterday. Couldn't be bothered going today. Shannons round at Sandown tomorrow. I wanted a day to veg out.

Check these guys out! :eek:

rally victoria 123.JPG

On spectator sections, they go through the stage twice. This bloke, on the next run, cleaned up the signs, sitting right of shot, and almost the cameramen sitting at the apex :eek:

rally victoria 108.JPG

4x4 Buggys.

rally victoria 112.JPG

Aug 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
So after having one the most boring days I've had at a race track (the last shannons round at sandown), where I didn't even bother to keep any of the photos, to one of the best ones. It may be the same type of meeting I got to, with the same photos, but PI when it it's sunny, dry and 25 is a particularly awesome place to be.

Never seen this FE Holden before.

island magic 109.JPG

Doin' a "Lowndesey"

island magic 114.JPG

island magic 118.JPG

Missed out here. The camera was set up to focus on MG in the distance. There was a group of 3 cars coming out of the last corner, when this guy was gaining on them a little behind. He went to fill a gap which closed as the group drifted to the right. Wheels clash, a little bit of air. This is all I got.

island magic 125.JPG

Aug 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
island magic 139.JPG

island magic 133.JPG

A new car in the Sports Sedans.

island magic 148.JPG

These two broke away from the rest. For the whole race, the green car was right on the arse of the blue/white one. This is a shot coming out of the last corner on the last lap. Blue/white held on.

island magic 155.JPG

I might put up some more shots later, when I can get them to fit within 1MB. Unless I go to some speedway during the summer, this'll be the last meeting of the year for me.

Aug 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Just thought I'd chuck in a few more.

island magic 124.JPG

This is late in the race (1 hour enduro) and the battle for the lead in the Victorian Tourist Trophy. The Porsche is Peter Fitzgerald. Allan Simonsen won this race last year. I'll have to look up to see if it was his last win.

island magic 145.JPG

island magic 147.JPG

One of the reasons why I'm happy to include this photo (other than it being a group shot), is to point out the blue/white Chev-Corvette in the background (I didn't take a bigger photo of it). You would've noticed the blue RX7 I've uploaded from another meeting? That guy was leading the series going into the last round at Sandown a couple of weeks ago. His car broke down during qualifying and couldn't continue for the weekend. The guy in the Corvette ( who was also competing) then allowed the rx7 driver to use the corvette for the weekend instead and which then allowed him to take the series! Top bloke dontcha reckon?

island magic 156.JPG

Aug 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
At Avalon last night for the K-Rock Cup! I didn't mind in it. The night hadn't dragged on a bit like the others. In the final, a guy dominated most of the race, leading by the length of the straight. Before he cut off a car he was lapping. This cut both their tyres and he DNF. Then on the restart, the guy in third just hung it out on the outside groove, and over a period of six laps, swamped the 2nd, then 1st placed runner. It was awesome to watch. A good win. It's hard to take photos here, so there's not that many, and they're only of the heats.

avalon raceway 202.JPG

avalon raceway 203.JPG

avalon raceway 205.JPG

Oct 1, 2011
Adelaide Hills
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Celtics, Team Vodafone
imadodgyumpire

Not overly sure. I guess it's to make a point of difference between Super Rods and most other categories. It's made stranger because I think they run a Sprintcar Chassis. Victoria also has SDAV Rods which are similar to Super Rods and they also run the same way as Super Rods. Not sure if you've seen Street Stocks yet, but they toss a coin in the pits to determine which way they race just prior to entering the track.

We don't see Super Rods in SA, excluding Mt. Gambier. They raced at Speedway City once and Murray Bridge twice, from what I can remember. Victoria and the other Eastern States run a lot of different and pointless categories that you don't see in the Central States and WA. Super Rods would be one of the very few worthwile categories that is an exception.

Was it the red and yellow Super Sedan running about mid-pack in your first photo that won?

Oct 1, 2011
Adelaide Hills
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Celtics, Team Vodafone
If you are going to go to Avalon more regularly, always be on your feet and ready to run if the Super Rods are on. I remember listening online for the Sprintcars when the crash in the second video happened. When they came to Murray Bridge the first time (I think), there was a pileup and bits went over the back straight fence. Luckily there's no spectator area on the backstraight.

0.35 second mark crash
0.41 mark you see the front axle get flung into the crowd at some speed.

Aug 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Ok, positive reinforcement is good. Are there any requests maybe? A particular car, or types of car/classes?

I plan to pretty much go to the same meeting this year. But I hope to add a few more meetings/events this year. If money and time allow, I'd like to go to Tasmania a few times for Targa Tasmania, and a meeting each at Symmons Plains and Baskerville. I also want to go to Rally Australia. Nothing's certain though.

At Avalon last night for the K-Rock Cup! I didn't mind in it. The night hadn't dragged on a bit like the others. In the final, a guy dominated most of the race, leading by the length of the straight. Before he cut off a car he was lapping. This cut both their tyres and he DNF. Then on the restart, the guy in third just hung it out on the outside groove, and over a period of six laps, swamped the 2nd, then 1st placed runner. It was awesome to watch. A good win. It's hard to take photos here, so there's not that many, and they're only of the heats.

Good old Gravalon, biggest piss hole of a speedway in Aus.

Back