Official Team Thread Mount Buller Demons | Season 32 Team Thread | Cool party!

Remove this Banner Ad

Greetings all.

It is my unfortunate duty to inform you all of the passing of one of our own.

On Sunday our dear mate Deaneus! eventually succumbed to his long battle with cancer.

His beloved wife was with him at the end.

It's amazing how close you can feel to someone you've never actually met in person.

Dean had a fantastic sense of humour and have no doubt he would love you all to recount the fond memories you have of him.

Please raise a glass to his memory when you get a chance.

RIP Deaneus!

*please note, there is a brilliant thread on the Adelaide board celebrating his time on BigFooty that is worth a read.
Only just saw this sad news.

RIP Deaneus!

Welcome
Welcome.png
Good evening, and welcome everybody to the 32nd annual Mt. Buller Demons Best & Fairest presentation evening.

After destroying the competition in Season 31, it was fair enough to expect us to have a premiership hangover of sorts. What eventuated early in the season (culminating in the league’s best-ever team win streak) was something to behold.

We battled through the last part of pandemic lockdowns and I felt like we rocked up as best we could through the entire season. I showed some signs of fray as the season wore on, but know that my love for the club had not (and has not) diminished.

In Season 32, we welcomed a new face in Hate , who proved an astute acquisition for us. He’s a bloody great poster and we’re fortunate to have him on board. We also welcomed back club hall-of-famer cats2rise, who settled back in like that old piece of furniture you can’t quite bear to throw onto the hard rubbish pile.

The rookie class of S32 was… explosive. @pickitt settled in really well I felt, after a rather high velocity start. Bluelegs is a class poster and I’m really looking forward to seeing him come back for another crack in S33.

We are such a strong club, but that doesn’t mean that departures don’t still make us cry. Looking at you pantskyle you big poo poo head.

We had some incredible on-field results in Season 32, in addition to the historical winning streak. We found ourselves an EKA winner (he’s gone now, so yeah), a Fred Medal winner (Proper Gander) and we managed to get Tarks to break his own INSANE record for career goals by cracking 1,000 goals. Surely this won’t be matched.

Losing a prelim is never a great way to end a season, but I’m not too fussed personally. I just loved hanging out with you all.

Personally, it’s been a really tricky year and I’ve been in and out of BigFooty. What keeps me coming back is my sense of connection to this club and to you all. I thank you to those who have supported me all season in one way or another. You’re all bloody legends.

I’m sorry this is late. Life happened.

Oddhawk ,Proper Gander ,Heardy_101 ,jmoo wan ,sante ,moginie ,DemonJim ,Yakker ,Tarkyn_24 ,haydo , cooney, Callums_Guns ,Quivorir ,PaythePerryman ,Van_Dyke , sausageroll , Headless , DERO , Azarole ,cats2rise ,Bluelegs ,Hate , _Cayz_ , lanky_wes

Tonight is all about the players at this great club of ours. Some might say it’s the greatest club in the land of sweet, and the people who say that would be right.

We want to just take some time to wrap up Season 32 in a little bow, and recognise those who put in special efforts both on and off the field.

This season saw a lot of our senior posters rotating position, which will make the vote count for the illustrious Deestroy Medal particularly interesting. I know it’s not easy to move about and compromise your chances of end of season awards, but I do really appreciate the sacrifice made for the benefit of the team.

As well as the B&F award, we’ll be awarding the following coveted prizes this evening:
  • The cats2rise Medal (Leading Goalkicker)
  • Best Defender Award
  • The Coaches Award (hopefully Richard_Cranium will be along to present this)
  • The Eth Award (Player’s Player)
  • Poster Of The Year Award
Good luck to all.

So – go to the fridge and find the margarine, perhaps a leftover sausage or something, and go place all of that on a slice of bread. White? Wholemeal? Multigrain? Rye? I really don’t mind. Accompany it with a glass of watermelon juice, settle in and enjoy the evening ahead.

While we wait for the ceremony to commence, it’s a great time to reacquaint ourselves with a fine piece of music, written and performed for you tonight by Proper Gander and Headless . For a special treat, they’ve employed the services of the illustrious South Morang Primary School Choir to help bring this masterpiece to life.

This has become a club anthem of sorts, so feel free to SING ALONG…

Round1.png

Our first round match-up saw us travelling to Van Cortland Park to take on TheInjuryFactory ‘s Warriors, and it’s fair to say we were utensil-a-hoop (what being reigning premiers and all).

The match thread was nice and active, with Headless and Callums_Guns being chipper and engaging as per usual.

We kicked five first quarter snags to lead the Wazzas by 9 points at the first change, but stood still in the second quarter (literally scoring just two behinds) to trail by 26 points at the main break.

However, our perennial rookie sausageroll was having none of it – 3 third-quarter goals from him lifted us up from the canvas and led a 36-point turnaround in our fortunes. The last quarter was high scoring and frenetic, with a couple of lead changes throwing the crowd into convulsions.

But in the end we snuck home by 5 points, registering an important round 1 victory over a worthy adversary. We saw some of @sausageroll’s best work, while DemonJim was gritty and moginie dominated.

Round 1 Votes

3 – DemonJim [17 touches, 8 marks, 2 goals]
2 – moginie [21 touches, 4 marks]
1 - sausageroll [8 kicks, 4 goals 4 behinds]

Poster Of The Week:

Headless

Round2.png

We unfurled the S31 flag on a sunny morning at the Snow Dome, as we prepared to host the Swamprats. The crowd packed out the stadium, and I think I even saw Smartys Power wea wearing his Demons guernsey in the crowd. I believe he was eating a sausage roll.

Anyway, we started off in a rather distracted way, trailing the hapless rodents by 17 points at quarter time and by 20 points at half time. However, Proper Gander found her kicking boots after that, and got us within 10 points at three quarter time.

A last quarter blitz from ‘Goalzarole’ (Azarole) snatched us the lead midway through the final term, before we kept piling on the goals to run out 16-point winners.
Round 2 Votes

3 - DemonJim [21 touches, 6 marks, 2 goals]
2 - Proper Gander [9 kicks, 8 goals]
1 - Callums_Guns [14 touches, 11 tackles, 1 goal]

Poster Of The Week:

cooney

Round3.png
Our winning streak was really starting to come together at this point, and we were keen to extend it as we welcomed the Phoenix to the Snow Dome.

We really got stuck into them in the first quarter, piling on 6 goals and helping us keep them at bay to half time. However, the third quarter I think we all got caught waiting in the queues for the free sandwiches and we let them get back into the game – we only led by one solitary point at three quarter time.

The sandwiches were nourishing, and Proper Gander (who, I believe, enjoyed an egg and cress sandwich) came out and went nuts in the last quarter, booting 3 goals and leading us to a comfortable 34-point victory.

Round 3 Votes

3 – Bluelegs [22 touches, 10 marks]
2 – cooney [18 touches, 5 marks, 2 goals]
1 – Headless [15 touches, 2 goals]

Poster Of The Week:

Tarkyn_24

Round4.png

A third home game in a row, and this time we were visited by the simply LOVELY Royals. Except Smartys Power of course.

We enjoyed probably my favourite match thread of the last 1000 seasons that week, and the quality of qootball (mainly from us) was set up to match the quality of posting.

It started off as a bit of an arm wrestle, but we jumped to a 33-point lead at half time. We held this lead throughout the third quarter, before pushing away in the last to salute by 52 points. The Demons juggernaut was a thing of beauty and nothing seemed to be able to get in our way.

WOULD WE EVER LOSE AGAIN? FIND OUT…

Round 4 Votes

3 - Bluelegs [31 touches, 6 marks, 1 goal]
2 - Tarkyn_24 [26 touches, 1 goal]
1 - Proper Gander [10 kicks, 6 goals]

Poster Of The Week:

manangatang

Our winning streak was really starting to come together at this point, and we were keen to extend it as we welcomed the Phoenix to the Snow Dome.

We really got stuck into them in the first quarter, piling on 6 goals and helping us keep them at bay to half time. However, the third quarter I think we all got caught waiting in the queues for the free sandwiches and we let them get back into the game – we only led by one solitary point at three quarter time.

The sandwiches were nourishing, and Proper Gander (who, I believe, enjoyed an egg and cress sandwich) came out and went nuts in the last quarter, booting 3 goals and leading us to a comfortable 34-point victory.

Round 3 Votes

3 – Bluelegs [22 touches, 10 marks]
2 – cooney [18 touches, 5 marks, 2 goals]
1 – Headless [15 touches, 2 goals]

Poster Of The Week:

Tarkyn_24
Headless in the votes.

RING THE BELL.

Round 4 Leaderboard
Leader.png

Let’s take quick look at the leaderboard after four rounds of voting…

Bluelegs – 6 votes
DemonJim – 6 votes
Proper Gander – 3 votes
Tarkyn_24 – 2 votes
cooney – 2 votes
moginie – 2 votes

Now we’re taking a little break from the vote count to present some important club awards…​

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cats2rise Medal
Cats2rise.png

So I think we all know that if a certain poster is the JOINT-WINNER OF THE FRED MEDAL in a season, it’s quite likely that this same poster will win the award for our club’s best goal-scorer in that same season.

It just makes sense.

And so, it is my great pleasure to announce that Proper Gander is again the winner of the Season 32 cats2rise medal. That’s two in a row for those counting at home!

Congratulations!

Best Defender
Defender.png

So I took myself out of defence for most of Season 32, and I think we would all agree that it was a fantastic thing for the fortunes of the team.

This season’s winner of the defender of the year is a poster that we all love. He’s someone that I’ve personally always wanted to keep around and have step back into posting around the place, and I was delighted to see that happen a bit more this season.

it’s amazing what can happen when you refuse to let someone retire, isn’t it?

Anyway, I’m very happy to announce that sante is the winner of the S32 Defender Of The Year award for Mt. Buller.

Congrats mate!

Round5.png
It took us until Round 5 to take on our S31 Grand Final opponents in the Bombers, and we set ourselves for another big week. It was another very long thread – taxing is another word I’d use to describe it. I believe @pickitt posted quite a bit.

Anyway, the match was a ******* romp. We smacked them into a black hole. As well as our vote-getters, Heardy_101 , Proper Gander and pantskyle ran riot and we ended up saluting by 93 points.

What a start to the season – still undefeated after 5 rounds and with a percentage that would make a mathematician raise an impressed eyebrow.

Good times.

Round 5 Votes

3 – Bluelegs [34 touches, 11 marks, 1 goal]
2 – moginie [32 touches, 2 goals]
1 – sausageroll [30 touches, 2 goals]

Poster Of The Week:

Callums_Guns

So I took myself out of defence for most of Season 32, and I think we would all agree that it was a fantastic thing for the fortunes of the team.

This season’s winner of the defender of the year is a poster that we all love. He’s someone that I’ve personally always wanted to keep around and have step back into posting around the place, and I was delighted to see that happen a bit more this season.

it’s amazing what can happen when you refuse to let someone retire, isn’t it?

Anyway, I’m very happy to announce that sante is the winner of the S32 Defender Of The Year award for Mt. Buller.

Congrats mate!
Time for your speech, sante!

Round6.png
Surely we couldn’t win our 6th game in a row to start the season. Surely we couldn’t secure that win against our reserves side the Furies. Surely.

Well, we really did. And it was quite nice to see.

Proper Gander kicked five snags, Hate won the ruck battle and pantskyle was busy in the guts. He also won a lot of possessions in the midfield in the game of qooty. Oh, and Pick managed a -3 DT point game.

Round 6 Votes

3 - pantskyle [18 touches, 7 tackles]
2 – Bluelegs [17 touches, 4 marks, 3 tackles]
1 - Proper Gander [5 goals]

Poster Of The Week:

Azarole

Round7.png

This had to be the round we lost. I mean, the Dragons always seem to beat us and we were due a loss. Well and truly.

WELL GUESS WHAT? WE DIDN’T LOSE HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Yep – another win to add to our streak was the bounty of Round 7, although it did end up closer at the end than what it was shaping up to be at half time. It was actually a really even performance from our team - jmoo wan kicked 5 goals straight, Proper Gander jagged 4, while moginie continued his purple patch of form off the wing.

Round 7 Votes

3 - moginie[28 touches, 8 marks, 7 tackles]
2 - sante[17 touches, 9 marks, 2 tackles]
1 - Tarkyn_24[15 touches, 7 tackles]

Poster Of The Week:

Tarkyn_24

Round8.png

The Bears. I tried really hard to find a way of summing this match thread up, but that’s all I could come up with.

Anyway, we were going for about our 1102nd win in a row, so at this point we were in the fifth dimension of the SIM like Matthew McConaughey behind the book case in Interstellar.

We jumped them by 5 goals to 0 in the first quarter and they didn’t get a look in at all for the rest of the match. I even kicked a goal ffs – we were taking the piss. Bluelegs was super for us, while Proper Gander stood up once again.

Round 8 Votes

3 - Bluelegs [27 touches, 6 marks, 1 goal]
2 – DemonJim [15 touches, 6 marks, 1 goal]
1 – pantskyle [16 touches, 3 tackles, 1 goal]

Poster Of The Week:

cooney

This had to be the round we lost. I mean, the Dragons always seem to beat us and we were due a loss. Well and truly.

WELL GUESS WHAT? WE DIDN’T LOSE HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Yep – another win to add to our streak was the bounty of Round 7, although it did end up closer at the end than what it was shaping up to be at half time. It was actually a really even performance from our team - jmoo wan kicked 5 goals straight, Proper Gander jagged 4, while moginie continued his purple patch of form off the wing.

Round 7 Votes

3 - moginie[28 touches, 8 marks, 7 tackles]
2 - sante[17 touches, 9 marks, 2 tackles]
1 - Tarkyn_24[15 touches, 7 tackles]

Poster Of The Week:

Tarkyn_24
Unlucky, serial_thrilla!

Leader.png

Let’s take quick look at the leaderboard after eight rounds of voting (or exactly halfway through the season). And we have one lucky bugger who’s just JUMPED RIGHT OUT THERE into the lead.

Bluelegs – 14 votes
DemonJim – 8 votes
moginie – 7 votes
Proper Gander – 4 votes
pantskyle – 4 votes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back