Mouthguards

Remove this Banner Ad

Checkers

Team Captain
Nov 3, 2007
The MCG
AFL Club
Richmond
Im playing my first year of senior football this year and thought in the interest of keeping all of my teeth I would go get a proper mouthguard made at the dentist.

Does anyone have one? How much do they cost? And do they really make breathing and speaking that much easier than a cheap chemist one.

Fitted mouth guards are just that - a better fit than a generic one-size-fits-most product. I have never had breathing problems with a mouth guard...but speaking is never going to be great.

Mine cost about $70 along with the consultation fees of a visit to the dentist. Though they can cost a lot more (i have heard). Best to ring around or ask a few people from your club about where they go locally and how much they cost.

I had a dentist-made mouthguard way back when, when I didn't really need it, being U/10's or something. Didn't struggle breathing or anytihng. Every so often, with my current chemist one, I choke on it and have to take it out. Has happened in contests every so often which is dangerous. So the dentist one is better, but if you don't have too much money, the chemist one is just fine. Not that I'm an expert.

definitely the dentist one is a better fit and therefore more comfortable as well. the generic ones these days are not so bad, though the ones where they fit over the upper and lower teeth make talking/shouting difficult.

I got a generic one that I still use, cost me about $35. Have used one since 2001 after a few too many knocks in the wrong places. If you have the time and the cash head to a dentist for a proper custom fit but these days it's essential to have one at all levels.

about all the chemist ones do is prevent your from putting your tooth through your lip or tongue or chipping your tooth on another one.... the dentist ones are moulded to your teeth and provide real support when hit in the face... i have had two teeth previously chipped and repaired and got elbowed exactly in that spot whilst wearing my fitted mouthguard and they didnt move... if you can afford one though make sure your at least spend the $10-$40 on the chemist one thought... its the bare minimum coz dental bills can escalate when teeth need to be replaced

I definitely advise that you get a fitted mouth guard from the dentist. They do cost abit more but they are well worth it. Mine has saved me on several occasions now.

I just find mouthguards to be extremely annoying and a pain in the arse when calling for the ball and s**t, But thats just my opinion.

I just find mouthguards to be extremely annoying and a pain in the arse when calling for the ball and s**t, But thats just my opinion.
Yeah me too. I have never worn one before but used to carry one in my sock incase I was asked where it was because it was rules that you had to have one. Only problem was I went though like 6 in the year because they always fell out of my sock.

But I'm 17 and playing my first year in a senior womens team. I dont know if anyone has seen any of the VWFL but some of the chicks are huge. Im only small and light so would like to keep my teeth.

I have a specialy fitted mouth guard because my brother got his tooth knocked out using one you buy in a packet.
It Cost me $50 but i think its normally 100
Sticks in my head better then the ones you buy in a packet :p and i can talk easier.

You people that don't wear mouthguards are out of your minds.

Ever since I saw a kid in my year 6 basketball team snap his front tooth in half, I've not ****ed around when it came to mouthguards.

Get one from the dentist.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tried to wear one but just found breathing way too hard and it made me gag. I know the risks when I go on the field but thats a risk I take. I think you need to train with one in your mouth from an early age.

Have never used a mouthguard for the 20+ years I have been playing. Have been lucky enough not to get any teeth damaged, but have had several broken noses and been knocked out so suppose it has been good fortune.

I have tried them when I was younger, it was hard to talk with it in so I just have never worried about getting another one.

what would you rather?
a. paying $70 for a fitted mouthguard
b. paying thousands in dental bills because you were stupid enough not to wear one.

Ive forked out more money on getting a mouthguard than i have in dental bills for not wearing one. Guess i'm lucky.

There is still the odd afl footballer who cant/doesnt wear one.

Each to thier own.

My dads a dental technician so he makes the custom fitted ones but i just cant keep them in my mouth without gagging. Already had a tooth chipped as a result of not wearing one. I think i just need to start practicing wearing it throughout the week.

For people wondering about the price, he charges about 130 bucks for them but you can get nearly all of that back through health funds.

it's really only the hard at it, in and under players that need a mouthguard and not the receivers hey kerr4PM?;)

My dads a dental technician so he makes the custom fitted ones but i just cant keep them in my mouth without gagging. Already had a tooth chipped as a result of not wearing one. I think i just need to start practicing wearing it throughout the week.

For people wondering about the price, he charges about 130 bucks for them but you can get nearly all of that back through health funds.

my guess is your sitting in a mansion if he charges those prices, we have a dentist come down to the club every year. he fits the mouthguards while we wait and charges a flat $60 in whatever colour (except plain red and plain green which you can't have) and they're ready a week later.

my guess is your sitting in a mansion if he charges those prices, we have a dentist come down to the club every year. he fits the mouthguards while we wait and charges a flat $60 in whatever colour (except plain red and plain green which you can't have) and they're ready a week later.

I dont what type of mouth guard he was giving you but the ones done by technicians are not 'while you wait' jobs. Takes prob half an hour to make each mouth guard not including the impression time.

i get mine fitted from a dentist, usually costs around 120 but can get refunds from private health cover. it is usually ready in about 2 weeks, and is far more comfortable/safer than those boil and bite ones.

I got a new mouth guard made by my dentist the other day. The price is around the $100 mark but my private health insurance paid for it in full. They're much better than the generic, one-size-fits-all mouthguards. Less bulky, you don't gag and it is much easier to talk with it in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back