Move the Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

The Toecutter

All Australian
Feb 25, 2007
wodonga
AFL Club
Essendon
I think the Grand Final should be moved to either Martin Park or Birallee Park. The O and K did the same last year (in wang) and had record crowds. The grounds in town are far superior to Sandy Creek, have better facilities and are more central for supporters:thumbsu:

i think playing the gf in town would be great......just image the crowd as the 2 teams run out....not a ute to be seen.....Why not at martin park???? Or are the league scared of losing money!!!! The Sandy Creek as been great for the league but it almost rains every year at finals time......It's like stepping back in time when you cross the cattle grid as you drive through the gates....

The Sandy Creek as been great for the league but it almost rains every year at finals time......It's like stepping back in time when you cross the cattle grid as you drive through the gates....

Great Point you make there Reg. The weather will definetely dry in Wodonga come finals time.
Stuff any tradition at the same time too.

I think the best part is getting a ute on the fence and having a few beers.

i think playing the gf in town would be great......just image the crowd as the 2 teams run out....not a ute to be seen.....Why not at martin park???? Or are the league scared of losing money!!!! The Sandy Creek as been great for the league but it almost rains every year at finals time......It's like stepping back in time when you cross the cattle grid as you drive through the gates....

I am sure if it rains at Sandy Creek it will be dry in Wodonga... What a load of crap.

Sandy Creek has plenty of parking space and crowds have been huge there. What the league needs is Tallangatta to make the grand final agt Mitta that is why the crowds would appear lower than in the 90s...

It is also tradition that the games are played there, and the facilities are not bad at all.

As for stepping back in time??? What are you talking about? It is a country league not inner city so the fact you drive over a cattle grid is hardly worth talking about you snob. If you dont like that the league play their finals there then play somewhere else. No doubt you are a player who comes and gets your money and leaves anyway.

As for stepping back in time??? What are you talking about? It is a country league not inner city so the fact you drive over a cattle grid is hardly worth talking about you snob. If you dont like that the league play their finals there then play somewhere else. No doubt you are a player who comes and gets your money and leaves anyway.
I hear Reggie Ray is bit of a mercenary, but the Tallangatta league is not the same league it was back in the 70's and the 80's. In the last 20 years with the addition of Thurgoona, Beechworth, Chiltern, Rutherglen and Wahgunyah (in 2008) the league has changed into more of a Albury/Wodonga based competition. With so many clubs based on the other side of Wodonga it would only make sense to have a more centralised grand final.:thumbsu:

I hear Reggie Ray is bit of a mercenary, but the Tallangatta league is not the same league it was back in the 70's and the 80's. In the last 20 years with the addition of Thurgoona, Beechworth, Chiltern, Rutherglen and Wahgunyah (in 2008) the league has changed into more of a Albury/Wodonga based competition. With so many clubs based on the other side of Wodonga it would only make sense to have a more centralised grand final.:thumbsu:

Those clubs chose to join our league. Because they did that they can live by our rules and if there not happy with that then they can pack their bags a go back to where they came from. Why should we change or traditions because some other clubs joined our league. You are a tool.

Those clubs chose to join our league. Because they did that they can live by our rules and if there not happy with that then they can pack their bags a go back to where they came from. Why should we change or traditions because some other clubs joined our league. You are a tool.

I think Sandy creek has been a great venue but the league should at least explore their options and make a decision as to whether they upgrade the change rooms or relocate the GF. You cant stay in the past forever and the facilities are getting very out dated, maybe it is not economical to spend the money updating them. Maybe they should try a Wodonga GF and see if it is successful. They played finals at North Albury once (late eighties) I think which seemed to be successful. The clubs should decide anyway at a league meeting, with so many new clubs the league has a new look and changes made accordingly to reflect this. Remember the league sought to attract many of these clubs in the first place to strengthen the league after Culcairn and Holbrook left.

Well said Benched, obviously you moved into the new millennium unlike Mr. Fanning who would probably prefer we go back to playing the 19th and 20th man, while were at it lets bring Granya and Bullioh back into the league:rolleyes:. It wasn't that long ago the league had only 8 clubs and two of those at the time were basket cases (Thurgoona and Bethanga). The new clubs have been the best thing to happen to the league in a very long time. We now have one of the best standard district leagues in the state, with almost all clubs being in healthy state in regards to player numbers (Senior and Junior) and financial security.The league has to bite the bullet and either upgrade the facilities (which i couldn't see the league forking out money for a ground that only has 6 games played on it a year) or look at the possibility of relocating it elsewhere. As for Mr. Fanning you are not a tool just blissfully ignorant:)

Well said Benched, obviously you moved into the new millennium unlike Mr. Fanning who would probably prefer we go back to playing the 19th and 20th man, while were at it lets bring Granya and Bullioh back into the league:rolleyes:. It wasn't that long ago the league had only 8 clubs and two of those at the time were basket cases (Thurgoona and Bethanga). The new clubs have been the best thing to happen to the league in a very long time. We now have one of the best standard district leagues in the state, with almost all clubs being in healthy state in regards to player numbers (Senior and Junior) and financial security.The league has to bite the bullet and either upgrade the facilities (which i couldn't see the league forking out money for a ground that only has 6 games played on it a year) or look at the possibility of relocating it elsewhere. As for Mr. Fanning you are not a tool just blissfully ignorant:)

Gee, I don't know. Apparently all the "new" clubs are just guests of the old traditional owners of the competitition. (Including Mr Fanning's club no doubt.) Beechworth, Chiltern, Rutherglen, Thurgoona, Kiewa Sandy Ck, Yackandandah, Barnawartha & Dederang all feel so privileged that you have let us in "your" competition. Or perhaps that group could breakaway and with a few other clubs form a new North Eastern District Football League. Then you could get what you want - Mitta would definitely play Tallangatta in the grand final. Wouldn't be much of a crowd tho - they'd all be at the NEDFL Grand Final at Martin Park.

Totally agree with moving the TDFL Granny anywhere!
It is the only league I know where the best 5 teams for the year fight it out on a ground that has been inhabited by cows for the past 8 months, has no real grass cover (they are just weeds) and is very uneven. Then you get to the changerooms where the electrical wiring is exposed, showers a mere trickle (all the time) and if someone is in the shower you can't take a piss! Not to mention that if you need to take a dump, you have to go right out the back. No cover for spectators, umpires get a 2m x 2m room, the list is endless. The tireless work of a lot of people is appreciated but they have nothing to show for the TDFL come September! Time to get someone in control a bit younger with some good marketing ideas.
GET RID OF SANDY CREEK!

well i hear a rumor that with more clubs being central to wodonga tdfl might consider playing gf at raider park!!!!! as for me leaving the game straight after playing i do buy a pie or chips if the canteen has any food left..... Time will come and the league will see the light...martin park is built like prison these days so i perfer raider park..

My two cents worth is, I totally agree.
Move the G.F to a central location and watch the crowds roll in.
I am sure the club that get's to do the catering will be thankful for the extra revenue.

My two cents worth is, I totally agree.
Move the G.F to a central location and watch the crowds roll in.
I am sure the club that get's to do the catering will be thankful for the extra revenue.
Can not believe you would consider shifting from Sandy Creek. Are you just talking about shifting the grand final and playing all the other finals at Sandy creek? Very bright??? How much do you think one of the Oven and Murray clubs would charge to play the finals at their ground? Not being a big follower of the TDFL have been to a few finals matches at Sandy creek and very much enjoyed it. Is not hard to get a park and pretty easy to leave once the games over. Atmosphere there is great. Have also been to a lot of OMFL finals totally opposite. Parking a nightmare getting out of the place worse and little or no atmosphere. You are lucky to have a neutral ground where all the finals can be played. Suggest you keep your money in your league and use it to fix up Sandy creek if you are not happy with it instead of filling the back pocket of an OMFL club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can not believe you would consider shifting from Sandy Creek. Are you just talking about shifting the grand final and playing all the other finals at Sandy creek? Very bright??? How much do you think one of the Oven and Murray clubs would charge to play the finals at their ground? Not being a big follower of the TDFL have been to a few finals matches at Sandy creek and very much enjoyed it. Is not hard to get a park and pretty easy to leave once the games over. Atmosphere there is great. Have also been to a lot of OMFL finals totally opposite. Parking a nightmare getting out of the place worse and little or no atmosphere. You are lucky to have a neutral ground where all the finals can be played. Suggest you keep your money in your league and use it to fix up Sandy creek if you are not happy with it instead of filling the back pocket of an OMFL club.

I would suggest the TDFL talks to the O&K they have found it to be a great success.

I would suggest the TDFL talks to the O&K they have found it to be a great success.
Good work Benched:thumbsu: People have to be progressive in this day and age, the facts are that district clubs aren't made up of 18 locals and 2 travellers anymore, without Albury/Wodonga based players these clubs would fold. It is not the old Tallangatta league these days but more of a North-Eastern district comp with Albury/Wodonga being the centre of it. It is only realistic that the best location for a TDFL grand final is either at the Kennel or the Raider Dome:thumbsu:

it looks like the border mail like the idea of moving the gf aswell...so get with the times tdfl and look at the bigger picture.....it will be the best option for all involved and a great game to watch....

Your a bit of a hypocrite with a name like that.
Why don't the AFL get rid of skilled stadium and the MCG and play all games at Telstra Dome so nobody gets wet?

it looks like the border mail like the idea of moving the gf aswell...so get with the times tdfl and look at the bigger picture.....it will be the best option for all involved and a great game to watch....

I think you may find there are a couple of Border Mail journos that figure prominently on Big Footy. Brett Kohlhagen seems to be the most in tune with the TDFL, todays snippet was probably Johnno stealing Brett's thunder.

:thumbsdown:
I am sure if it rains at Sandy Creek it will be dry in Wodonga... What a load of crap.

Sandy Creek has plenty of parking space and crowds have been huge there. What the league needs is Tallangatta to make the grand final agt Mitta that is why the crowds would appear lower than in the 90s...

It is also tradition that the games are played there, and the facilities are not bad at all.

Well said!!!!! we own that ground and instead of spending the same amout 2 pay 4 a new ground y not fix up sandy creek and get the clubs 2 put in money to help fix it!!!
and if u havent noticed yet TDFL stands for TALLANGATTA DISTRICT Football Leauge! and y should every1 else move grounds because we let more clubs in. :mad:

Well said!!!!! we own that ground and instead of spending the same amout 2 pay 4 a new ground y not fix up sandy creek and get the clubs 2 put in money to help fix it!!!
and if u havent noticed yet TDFL stands for TALLANGATTA DISTRICT Football Leauge! and y should every1 else move grounds because we let more clubs in. :mad:
Why isn't the TALLANGATTA FOOTBALL LEAGUE grand final played at Tallangatta then?:confused:

It should be the leagues responsibilty after all they have 90k in the bank. clubs have enough to worry about fixing there own facilities, ie. Barny, thurgoona, Kiewa, Beechworth. If thats where the league wants to show our comp then it becomes there responsibility. Don't know about you blokes but i can't wait to get out there.

Why isn't the TALLANGATTA FOOTBALL LEAGUE grand final played at Tallangatta then?:confused:

Thats because there is no such League as the Tallangatta Football League.
But can I say that Sandy Creek is in Tallangatta's District so it's fair to say that the GF could be played there.
Maybe you Wodonga travelers should just leave our country league alone, if you can't afford to travel 40kms in September go play for Wodonga.

Thats because there is no such League as the Tallangatta Football League.
But can I say that Sandy Creek is in Tallangatta's District so it's fair to say that the GF could be played there.
Maybe you Wodonga travelers should just leave our country league alone, if you can't afford to travel 40kms in September go play for Wodonga.
If the Wodonga 'travellers' didn't play in YOUR league there wouldn't be a TDFL. Sure back in 1960 every club was full of locals and only 3 or 4 'travellers' which usually included the senior and assistant coaches. The fact of the matter is YOUR clubs wouldn't survive without Wodonga based players. As Sandy Thomas (who was a TDFL man) said by moving the O and K GF to Wangaratta from Tarrawingie the gate almost doubled thus justifying the move into town. The surface and facilities were superior and the league only had to pay to use the ground. If the TDFL follow suit they wouldn't have to spend large amounts of money on an oval that only gets used 4 weekends of the year. I think a one year trial would'nt hurt and the league could review the success/failure and make a decision on the long term future of league Grand Finals.:thumbsu:

If the Wodonga 'travellers' didn't play in YOUR league there wouldn't be a TDFL. Sure back in 1960 every club was full of locals and only 3 or 4 'travellers' which usually included the senior and assistant coaches. The fact of the matter is YOUR clubs wouldn't survive without Wodonga based players. As Sandy Thomas (who was a TDFL man) said by moving the O and K GF to Wangaratta from Tarrawingie the gate almost doubled thus justifying the move into town. The surface and facilities were superior and the league only had to pay to use the ground. If the TDFL follow suit they wouldn't have to spend large amounts of money on an oval that only gets used 4 weekends of the year. I think a one year trial would'nt hurt and the league could review the success/failure and make a decision on the long term future of league Grand Finals.:thumbsu:
Ok move this years grandfinal to Wodonga. Where are you going to play the other finals. How about the Elim at Mt Beauty, Qual at Rutherglen, 1st Semi at Mitta, 2nd semi at Chiltern and play the prilim at Thurgoona just to get Albury/Wodonga use to the TDFL finals being played in here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back