BUBBALOUIS

Club Legend
Jan 9, 2001
Victoria, HAWTHORN, GLENF
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
leeds united
been wanting too see this movie for ages, it is being shown on nine tonight .... has anyone seen the movie? What did you think, will the movie be shown on nine with subtitles? This would be a first for commercial television i would have thought .....

Originally posted by BUBBALOUIS
been wanting too see this movie for ages, it is being shown on nine tonight .... has anyone seen the movie? What did you think, will the movie be shown on nine with subtitles? This would be a first for commercial television i would have thought .....

Not necessarily - there is an English language version

It won't be the same like that though

Absolutely brilliant movie

Be prepared to laugh and cry!!!

I've watched 3 versions of it:
Italian version with subtitles
English version
and Hebrew version :eek: (dont ask)

The Italian version was by far the best because it made the whole movie very authentic.
I thought it was a beautiful movie, and not your usual world war 2 type of film.

I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy it so happy viewing! :)

I heard so much hype I was sceptical ...but it totaly won me over.
Good looking movie with good acting and you get involved.

The guy might act like a buffoon but he's a genius: writing, directing, even composing the music I think.

• Banned
well guys, i saw it last night and i reckon it was an absolute classic, it had the emotions going right through ....

DCFC, i see your point about it being lighthearted, but i think that just added to the drama, here was a man in a desperate situation, building a fantasy world for his son to help him get through the ordeal, i reckon it encaptured the horror of the concentration camps, left you angry at what happened but still managed to make you smile ..... a unique achivement ....

Anyway thanks foryour input guys,

Brilliant movie. I can't believe this guy has not done any other big films since this one....

It is one of my all time favourite movies.
I agree with DCFC that is somewhat 'sugarcoates' the issue of the Holocaust, but as someone else pointed out, it's not the point of the movie.
I can't think of the main actor's name, but he is just brilliant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

re:

Originally posted by Briedis
Brilliant movie. I can't believe this guy has not done any other big films since this one....

Yeah, he is of the Quentin Tarantino school of film-making.

Just saw At the Movies when this first came out

David and Margaret gave it 3.5 stars

I have it as a classic all these years later
I always enjoyed watching At The Movies, but they had some remarkably bad takes at times. This is definitely one of the biggies!

It's in my top 3 for sure
I haven't watched it recently, but it's one of only 7 films I've rated as 10 (according to my IMDB account), so it's definitely up there for me too.

I always enjoyed watching At The Movies, but they had some remarkably bad takes at times. This is definitely one of the biggies!

I haven't watched it recently, but it's one of only 7 films I've rated as 10 (according to my IMDB account), so it's definitely up there for me too.

Their main criticism was that the movie did not deal with the true horror of the Holocaust.

There is an assumption that the audience knows what the outcome most likely will be with the Camp.

To have that explicitly stated in the film goes against the grain of the film.

Their main criticism was that the movie did not deal with the true horror of the Holocaust.

There is an assumption that the audience knows what the outcome most likely will be with the Camp.

To have that explicitly stated in the film goes against the grain of the film.
Yeah, I remember a couple of friends having a similar opinion and although I understand what they were saying, I didn't get that from the film St all. It was only in such a desperate and horrible situation that the games he plays to spare his son from understanding the gravity of what is happening that makes it so powerful. I feel like that opinion is fundamentally misinterpreting the whole point of the film.

Yeah, I remember a couple of friends having a similar opinion and although I understand what they were saying, I didn't get that from the film St all. It was only in such a desperate and horrible situation that the games he plays to spare his son from understanding the gravity of what is happening that makes it so powerful. I feel like that opinion is fundamentally misinterpreting the whole point of the film.

Those last few sentences where the grown up boy describes his father is so sad

I saw it when it was on in the cinemas, and I hated it.

I thought it made far too light of the situation. I realise that was the point, but it just left me very sour.

Horrible take. It's about maintaining your own dignity and protecting your son's innocence in a horrific situation. It doesn't make light of it at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back