Movie Movie Theories

Remove this Banner Ad

That theory applies to 1960s sitcom Gilligan's island as well. It is said that the seven characters represent each of the seven deadly sins; the Skipper (wrath), the Professor (pride), Mr. Howell (greed), Mrs. Howell (sloth), Ginger (pride), Maryanne (envy) and Gilligan (gluttony).

A darker theory about this show is that the seven characters did not survive the storm that wrecked the Minnow, drowned at sea and are dead all along without knowing it. While this theory is outlandish and improbable, it does explain how other characters appear on the island and leave while the seven castaways remain stuck there (these guest characters realize that they are dead and cross over); how they were not found despite not travelling only a short distance from the mainland and how the physical appearances of the characters do not change despite time passing since they became stranded.

Unfortunately for your (excellent) theory, they were rescued in a movie sequel and went back into society, where they struggled to re-integrate. There were three movie sequels made.

This is a description of the third:

In a second sequel, The Harlem Globetrotters on Gilligan's Island (1981), villains played by Martin Landau and then-wife Barbara Bain try to take over the island to gain access to a vein of "supremium", a valuable but volatile fictional element. This time, Ginger was played by Constance Forslund. They are thwarted by the timely intervention of the Harlem Globetrotters.

I'll bet they wish they were dead.

One interesting fan theory I heard about concerns the 1997 blockbuster 'Titanic' where it is suggested that Jack is nothing more than a figment of Rose's imagination, her 'imaginary friend' giving her the strength to break free of her controlling mother and fiancée and survive the sinking of the ship. Reasons for this is that old Rose says that Jack 'exists now only in my memory' and that Brock Lovett's crew in the 1990s found no trace of any Jack Dawson. But these are explained by the fact that Jack along with his friend Fabritzio won their Titanic tickets playing cards, displacing two Swedish passengers and therefore not listed on Titanic's manifest. Jack was an orphan with no siblings, and therefore no relatives to miss him, so he would have been long forgotten over 8 decades after the sinking. As for Fabritzio, was he imagined by Rose too? And what about scenes where Jack interacts with first class and third class passengers as well as crew when Rose is not there? Why would Rose twice get back on board a sinking ship to save a man who did not exist? This fan theory sinks faster than the actual Titanic on that cold April night in 1912. Or if you believe the absurd real life conspiracy theory about the Titanic, it sinks faster than the Olympic.

And also the drawing of Rose was very real. Who drew it?

Unfortunately for your (excellent) theory, they were rescued in a movie sequel and went back into society, where they struggled to re-integrate. There were three movie sequels made.

This is a description of the third:

In a second sequel, The Harlem Globetrotters on Gilligan's Island (1981), villains played by Martin Landau and then-wife Barbara Bain try to take over the island to gain access to a vein of "supremium", a valuable but volatile fictional element. This time, Ginger was played by Constance Forslund. They are thwarted by the timely intervention of the Harlem Globetrotters.

I'll bet they wish they were dead.
Some move sequels aren't and shouldn't be considered canon.

The T Rex in Jurassic Park actually has some human DNA, which accounts for its intelligence.

Last edited:
Some fan theories are very funny.

One I read that really made me laugh was about the sitcom 'Fuller House', a reboot of the sitcom 'Full House' which ran from 1987-1995. Of the original main characters (obviously discounting the dog Comet) only one failed to appear for even a small guest role and was conspicuous by her absence, and this was the youngest Tanner daughter Michelle.

The real life reason Michelle did not appear on Fuller House was because the twin actresses who played her, Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen are no longer actresses, and both declined to resurrect the role. However, one person put forward a hilarious in-universe theory for her absence, and that was when she was a teenager in high school in the 2000s she had started going out with an absolute loser. This boyfriend had made Michelle's father Danny freak out when he covered the bathroom with melted chocolate, then covered his girlfriend's father's car with mud, these causing Mr. Tanner to fall apart, suffer a nervous breakdown and start yelling hysterically about his house and car being covered in s**t (as per Bob Saget's character in Dumb and Dumberer). When Michelle refused to stop dating her idiot boyfriend despite the stress it was causing, she was disowned by her father and the rest of the family, and was still estranged from them over a decade later and therefore did not appear in Full House.

Given how hilarious the scenes with Bob Saget are in Dumb and Dumberer, imagining this happening with the characters on Full House was great.

Yes, I was forgetting about Rose's drawing, found by the search crew 84 years after the Titanic's sinking. Those who subscribe to the 'Jack doesn't exist' theory would probably argue that it was a self-portrait, drawn by Rose herself.

I do recall reading about this one and there was more too it, something about the lake he referred to fishing at (which was man made and didn’t exist until after the titanic sunk) and Coney Island (also not constructed until after the titanic sunk).

She survived the sinking so she could have made the whole thing up, the only memory anyone has of him was hers, also anyone could have drawn the painting, perhaps it was a dude named Jack, who looked more like Harvey Weinstein then Leo.

I do recall reading about this one and there was more too it, something about the lake he referred to fishing at (which was man made and didn’t exist until after the titanic sunk) and Coney Island (also not constructed until after the titanic sunk).

She survived the sinking so she could have made the whole thing up, the only memory anyone has of him was hers, also anyone could have drawn the painting, perhaps it was a dude named Jack, who looked more like Harvey Weinstein then Leo.

Incorrect.

Amusement park era
Between about 1880 and World War II, Coney Island was the largest amusement area in the United States, attracting several million visitors per year. Its development as an amusement area was concurrent with the erection of urban amusement parks elsewhere in the United States, which changed amusement from a passive to an active concept. Of these amusement areas, Coney Island was the largest. At its height, it contained three competing major amusement parks—Luna Park, Dreamland, and Steeplechase Park—as well as many independent amusements. The area was also the center of new technological events, with electric lights, roller coasters, and baby incubators among the innovations at Coney Island in the 1900s. By the first decade of the 20th century, Coney Island was seen as a top getaway and "a symbol of Americans' increasing pride".

Incorrect.

Amusement park era
Between about 1880 and World War II, Coney Island was the largest amusement area in the United States, attracting several million visitors per year. Its development as an amusement area was concurrent with the erection of urban amusement parks elsewhere in the United States, which changed amusement from a passive to an active concept. Of these amusement areas, Coney Island was the largest. At its height, it contained three competing major amusement parks—Luna Park, Dreamland, and Steeplechase Park—as well as many independent amusements. The area was also the center of new technological events, with electric lights, roller coasters, and baby incubators among the innovations at Coney Island in the 1900s. By the first decade of the 20th century, Coney Island was seen as a top getaway and "a symbol of Americans' increasing pride".

I was half remembering the theory that I had read years ago and a movie I have not seen in years.

“What's the evidence? Jack doesn't have currency. He talks about fishing at Lake Wissota, which was actually created in 1917 — five years after the Titanic sank. He promises to take Rose to the rollercoaster on the Santa Monica pier which wasn't built until 1916. No one wore floppy hair or carried backpacks in the 1900s.”

It wasn’t Coney Island it was Santa Monica.

Anyway not my theory and I don’t care enough to debate it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back