Movie Movies based on true events v the actual true story

Im trying to recall all the ones i know that did a "good" job of accuracy.

Spotlight, Catch Me if you Can, 12 years a slave, Apollo 13, Lost Girls, Raging Bull, Hidden Figures, Capote, Hotel Mumbai, Social Network, 127 Hours, The Pianist, Schindlers List, Into the Wild, Shattered Glass, All the Presidents Men...

Theres probably way more but they jump to mind as ones that stayed mostly accurate.

Was going to ask about that. You beat me to it.

The Act was another good series, based on Gypsy Rose Blanchard, her mum Dee Dee had Munchausens by proxy, convinced her daughter and the world she was a very very sick girl.

Never heard of it. Sounds like something I'd like to see.

Isnt that what Eminem's mother did to him??? Or am i tripping..

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Was going to ask about that. You beat me to it.

They definitely took some liberties (as most do) but measured smart choices that, if anything, helped contextualise characters.

Zuckerberg said its a great dramatisation but not accurate, if anything that makes me think its 100% on the money cause he looks like an arsehole.

They definitely took some liberties (as most do) but measured smart choices that, if anything, helped contextualise characters.

Zuckerberg said its a great dramatisation but not accurate, if anything that makes me think its 100% on the money cause he looks like an arsehole.

Exactly.

Hated that female comparison click site he invented. Unless he made one with men too. Complete sexist pig if you ask me.

Fb is s**t now anyway.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
JFK as one of the most innacurate films jumps to mind, the whole Zapruder film and multiple bullet theories stemmed from that movie and they are a mile off what actually happening (there was a great article about it and the phenomenon called the Mandela Effect).

Erin Brockovich was similarly not close to accurate.

I dont count stuff like 300, Gladiator and Pocahontas in this genre as they are pretty obviously not intended to be historically accurate.

JFK as one of the most innacurate films jumps to mind, the whole Zapruder film and multiple bullet theories stemmed from that movie and they are a mile off what actually happening (there was a great article about it and the phenomenon called the Mandela Effect).

Erin Brockovich was similarly not close to accurate.

I dont count stuff like 300, Gladiator and Pocahontas in this genre as they are pretty obviously not intended to be historically accurate.

I couldnt stand JFK. I lasted maybe 20 minutes

Feb 6, 2013
ACT
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think a bit like the imitation game, they "avoided" subjects rather than lying about them.

Probably depends where you stand on that

I prefer the whole truth. No shame in doing what he liked.

Could have alluded to it perhaps, than full on getting into it

I have a massive soft spot for films who combine fact with fiction. Ie. Inglorious Basterds, Boy in the striped PJs (much better than the book too imo).

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm fairly certain some people out there thought The Blair Witch Project was a legit doco. :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

Just brilliant marketing.
(and no, i never thought it was real. iirc i kept an eye out for the disclaimer at the end of the credits, and its definitely there)

The original version of this was Cannibal Holocaust, the director paid a few of the actors to live in South America for a year following the films release to try and make people believe they had died.

The original version of this was Cannibal Holocaust, the director paid a few of the actors to live in South America for a year following the films release to try and make people believe they had died.
Das Experiment. German film based on the actual prison experiment except it didnt get as violent as depicted on screen

Back