Movie Movies based on true events v the actual true story

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember reading somewhere that law classes show My Cousin Vinny as the most accurate courtroom scenes, 90% of courtroom dramas are complete bullshit that dont go close to following correct process.
They dont get up and walk around the room for one- that right?

Im hoping Philadelphia was accurate in their courtroom portrayal

LOL too at A time to kill- Samuel L Jackson is found not guilty by reason of insanity. Yet walks free no term in a mental institution

He was temporarily insane - he gud now :)

They dont get up and walk around the room for one- that right?

You certainly don't in the UK/Australian system - you might be allowed to in the states.

The trial in A Very English Scandal is a good set up of where everyone is/stays in the courtroom

The list is endless for biopics really, especially Hollyweird adaptations where 'dramatic license' and embellishment is widespread. Spotlight, Richard Jewell, Straight Outta Compton, The Social Network, etc, are recent ones OtToMH that twisted a few facts. Pain & Gain was typical tone-deaf buffoonery by Michael Bay, the guy is an idiot, so it's unclear why anyone thinks giving that boob a biography/true life story is a good idea. My favourites are the ones that purposely misrepresented with their fanfiction and either received lawsuits or were dragged pretty hard in the press: The Hurricane, Jobs, Hilary and Jackie, The Buddy Holly Story.

The list is endless for biopics really, especially Hollyweird adaptations where 'dramatic license' and embellishment is widespread. Spotlight, Richard Jewell, Straight Outta Compton, The Social Network, etc, are recent ones OtToMH that twisted a few facts. Pain & Gain was typical tone-deaf buffoonery by Michael Bay, the guy is an idiot, so it's unclear why anyone thinks giving that boob a biography/true life story is a good idea. My favourites are the ones that purposely misrepresented with their fanfiction and either received lawsuits or were dragged pretty hard in the press: The Hurricane, Jobs, Hilary and Jackie, The Buddy Holly Story.

What?

My favorite fictional movie (and book) that masquerades as a true story is Moneyball.

- Completely ignores the reason Oakland were such a good team - their 3 starting pitchers Mark Mulder, Tim Hudson and Barry Zito, and their best hitter, Miguel Tejada. Instead concentrates on minor players like Scott Hatteberg (good but overpaid) and Chad Bradford (a middle reliver who wasn't even trusted late in close games).

- Makes out that the Athletics were a hopeless team until the Moneyball way was adopted, when in fact they the best team in baseball not long before with 3 straight American League pennants and a World Series title in 1989. Way more successful than the overpaid & overrated New York Yankees at the time.

- Ignores the 2002 World Champions, the Anaheim Angels, who also had a very low payroll but relied on scouting and baseball fundamentals to win, rather than analytics.

- Plenty of others too like the portrayal of Art Howe, the firing of scout Grady Fuson (never happened), and the fact that the Peter Brand character (Paul DePodesta) actually joined the A's 3 years earlier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My favorite fictional movie (and book) that masquerades as a true story is Moneyball.

- Completely ignores the reason Oakland were such a good team - their 3 starting pitchers Mark Mulder, Tim Hudson and Barry Zito, and their best hitter, Miguel Tejada. Instead concentrates on minor players like Scott Hatteberg (good but overpaid) and Chad Bradford (a middle reliver who wasn't even trusted late in close games).

- Makes out that the Athletics were a hopeless team until the Moneyball way was adopted, when in fact they the best team in baseball not long before with 3 straight American League pennants and a World Series title in 1989. Way more successful than the overpaid & overrated New York Yankees at the time.

- Ignores the 2002 World Champions, the Anaheim Angels, who also had a very low payroll but relied on scouting and baseball fundamentals to win, rather than analytics.

- Plenty of others too like the portrayal of Art Howe, the firing of scout Grady Fuson (never happened), and the fact that the Peter Brand character (Paul DePodesta) actually joined the A's 3 years earlier.

Did the A's have the Golden Glove and the hitting champ the year of the film?

Titanic. The boat actually sank in real life too.

Without googling Open Water is based on a true story of a couple of scuba divers left behind on a diving trip

Tom and Eileen Lonergan off the coast of Port Douglas. I actually listened to a podcast about it last week. They got left at sea but what happens afterwards is just speculation obviously. They took their wetsuits and life-jackets off though so probably drowned fairly quickly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back