Movie Movies based on true events v the actual true story

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom and Eileen Lonergan off the coast of Port Douglas. I actually listened to a podcast about it last week. They got left at sea but what happens afterwards is just speculation obviously. They took their wetsuits and life-jackets off though so probably drowned fairly quickly.

Yeah i remember that.

You want a ******* mad tale at sea to be made into a movie. IIRC the book was called "Alone". Its a dude- experience boatman/whatever, loved the water. Actually a surfer I think. Anyway, the crew all eat something massively dodgy for dinner (they're in Asian waters somewhere)- and the guy who is incredibly sick, vomits over the side of the boat, passes out for a second and falls overboard. Wakes up immediately- but no one is around. Boat just leaves without him..

He survived for something like 5 days???? With no floatation device and being eaten alive by things in the sea.

Was saved literally at the last minute.

Yeah i remember that.

You want a ******* mad tale at sea to be made into a movie. IIRC the book was called "Alone". Its a dude- experience boatman/whatever, loved the water. Actually a surfer I think. Anyway, the crew all eat something massively dodgy for dinner (they're in Asian waters somewhere)- and the guy who is incredibly sick, vomits over the side of the boat, passes out for a second and falls overboard. Wakes up immediately- but no one is around. Boat just leaves without him..

He survived for something like 5 days???? With no floatation device and being eaten alive by things in the sea.

Was saved literally at the last minute.

he also tried to drown himself on purpose- twice i think.

But visions of his family saved him- he just couldnt "let go"

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, East Side Hawks
Fairly accurate from memory. I think him finding his mother wasn’t quite so dramatic irl (spoilers)
The Google Earth and the music score when it clicked he found where he came from was quite upwelling for me.
I hadn’t been tear jerked for a while.
Not much since Forrest at Jenny’s grave which kills me.

Hhahaah i must have ice for blood, because Lion did nothing for me- I just didnt cry or anything. If anything I felt more sympathy for his brother- the one who banged his head on the wall. Obviously a victim of sexual abuse or whatever the hell else he went through.

Pursuit of Happyness- Will Smith as the guy who battles homelessness with his young child, before making it as a stockbroker.

The scene where he's in the toilet cubicle overnight, with ppl banging on the door outside trying to use the facilities is just heartbreaking.
/unsure of the accuracy tho, am assuming it is.

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
Tom and Eileen Lonergan off the coast of Port Douglas. I actually listened to a podcast about it last week. They got left at sea but what happens afterwards is just speculation obviously. They took their wetsuits and life-jackets off though so probably drowned fairly quickly.

Perhaps for another thread - but the circumstances of the Lonergan's disappearance, blamed on a miscount of divers on the boat before it abandoned them, I found at the time and still to do this day absolutely bizarre!
Forgetting the negligence of not reconciling two missing tanks and other dive gear and/or only finding their personal belongings on the boat two days later - it beggars belief how the Lonergan's can spend most of the day with 28 other people on a small boat and yet not one of them, crew included, during the 2 hour journey back to Port Douglas notices they are missing...?

Last edited:
Perhaps for another thread - but the circumstances of the Lonergan's disappearance, blamed on a miscount of divers on the boat before it abandoned them, I found at the time and still to do this day absolutely bizarre!
Forgetting the negligence of not reconciling two missing tanks and other dive gear and/or only finding their personal belongings on the boat two days later - it beggars belief how the Lonergan's can spend most of the day with 28 other people on a small boat and yet not one of them, crew included, during the 2 hour journey back to Port Douglas notices they are missing...?
Perfect thread for it..

Yeah iirc the movie depicted a diver getting in the water, then feeling ill? And got out but didnt get ticked off idk and then got back IN?... i only saw it the one time at the cinema.

Considering you are going so far out diving youd think the policy would be check.. check and check again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
They saw their bags and didn’t do anything for a couple of days. It was completely the operators fault. They were lucky they only got fined for negligence.

Concur and at the risk of labouring the point - the Lonergan's bags and their missing dive tanks/gear were just part of a long list of improbable events, scenarios and oversights that unbelievably somehow all took place resulting in this tragedy..!
Open Water, while understandably focusing on the terrifying ordeal of being left in the ocean to die, I feel missed an opportunity to portray the mystery of the story by ignoring most of these.

Last edited:

Catsnlakers

Even Hank Moody is in awe of Geelong!
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
L.A Angels, Anaheim Ducks & M.Stars
From Hell was based on the Jack the Ripper murders, it represented the killings as done by a member of the Freemasons to cover up a secret relationship, one is 100% inaccurate, the other is viewed by historians as extremely unlikely.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
From Hell was based on the Jack the Ripper murders, it represented the killings as done by a member of the Freemasons to cover up a secret relationship, one is 100% inaccurate, the other is viewed by historians as extremely unlikely.

Thats the Johnny Depp/Heather Graham, one yeh? Was that presented as "based on a true story". It was ridiculous (entertaining) but surely they didnt try to pass that off as the real thing.

Be like if people believed Stones JFK.

Feb 11, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Saving Mr Banks had that ending where PL Travers warms to the Mary Poppins film and many people saying it didn't happen as she held a grudge against it until she died. I saw a doco on PL Travers years before and I don't think that's strictly true. The doco talked about how she told Walt Disney she liked the film just after the showing but changed her mind soon after.

Back