Science/Environment Moving Australia to 100% Renewable Energy would actually SAVE us money.

So have you sold your soul to a petrochemical company yet?

• No, but I'm hoping they'll give me a call any day now!

• Nah but I know a guy who knows a guy who has his snout in the trough. its a juicy racket!

• Nope I stick to intelligent design & anti-vac, denying climate change is too loopy even for me

• Yes and I would do it again! Money will buy me happiness so I crave MORE MORE MORE

• Yes, but everyone else is doing it and the world's stuffed anyway and.... God I hate myself.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
but but....what about what about those ads telling us about how amazing coal is.....

"isnt it amazing what a little black rock can do"...
111069-d60f2bbc-9e81-11e3-aed2-cc99918fb831.jpg

theres a very good reason china is REDUCING its use of coal. we would be ******* idiots not to follow suit. Then again, we are a conservative (for the developed world) hole that likes to use public money to prop up the profits of the rich few who own the various mining industries.
China isn't reducing their use of coal. Just increasing all of their options!

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
I agree their coal consumption is down this year from last, but I wouldn't call it a 'significant decline'.
I never said is was significant, although I do think it is. 3.5% decline while their energy use is still increasing over all, and they only just started they are going to reduce it even more in coming years.

My point is though that when the world's biggest economies (China, Germany, USA etc) are reducing coal use in favour of renewablea, we look ******* backwards standing here and constantly saying "no one else does it so why should we and it's too expensive anyway"

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
A small decline after decades of massive growth is pretty meaningless. Chinese coal production has increased four fold in the decade from 2000. They have been building new coal fired power plants at a rate of knots and they're not going to just suddenly turn them off. Their overall CO2 emissions are expected to continue increasing for another 10-15 years before peaking (Peking? Hur hur) anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
http://www.theguardian.com/environm...0-renewable-energy-would-save-australia-money

Unfortunately there's a catch - moving to renewables won't earn trillions for multinational fossil fuel companies or line the pockets of the Australian politicians in their possession.

So its business as usual, back to pretending climate change isn't real because there's too much money to be made polluting the atmosphere at the expense of our childrens' future.

So here we are a couple of years on & it seems the so called modelling was selective in picking up the costs:
The Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) says the scale and pace of solar and wind generators being connected in remote areas of the national grid is "presenting unprecedented technical issues" affecting the grid's performance and operational stability.

It followed a transmission fault in September traced back to the solar farms which had produced "voltage oscillations" that exceeded regulated limits, an AEMO spokesman said.

Shame about the pension funds who believed the numbers claimed & invested in these solar farms now restricted to operating at 50% capacity, i.e a loss for the pensioners.

No wonder China & India are still going gang busters building coal fired power stations, they must have included all the costs & found 1+1=2, no cigar.

Perhaps ASIC needs to look into solar farm costings.

Not saying dont build them, say be fair dinkum about what the costs are.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
So here we are a couple of years on & it seems the so called modelling was selective in picking up the costs:
The Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) says the scale and pace of solar and wind generators being connected in remote areas of the national grid is "presenting unprecedented technical issues" affecting the grid's performance and operational stability.

It followed a transmission fault in September traced back to the solar farms which had produced "voltage oscillations" that exceeded regulated limits, an AEMO spokesman said.

Shame about the pension funds who believed the numbers claimed & invested in these solar farms now restricted to operating at 50% capacity, i.e a loss for the pensioners.

No wonder China & India are still going gang busters building coal fired power stations, they must have included all the costs & found 1+1=2, no cigar.

• Five solar farms in the so-called the West Murray region were ordered to throttle their energy output after a technical fault threatened the network
  • The projects are all producing energy at prices lower than the wholesale energy market
  • AEMO has imposed limits on projects connecting or generating at full output, saying they need significant investment in network infrastructure
So the solar plants are producing too much power, and the woefully maintained power grid cannot handle it. And that's a reason why renewable energy can't supply us with all of our power?

That's some a grade selective quoting from you there. You're practically a qualified climate change denier.

Any opinion on why coal power stations are so unviable without direct government funding that they are closing down all over the place, while private firms are willing to invest in renewables because they're a viable investment?

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

Breaking news: Businesses lying to their consumers in the interests of selling their product. More at 10.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
  • Five solar farms in the so-called the West Murray region were ordered to throttle their energy output after a technical fault threatened the network
  • The projects are all producing energy at prices lower than the wholesale energy market
  • AEMO has imposed limits on projects connecting or generating at full output, saying they need significant investment in network infrastructure
So the solar plants are producing too much power, and the woefully maintained power grid cannot handle it. And that's a reason why renewable energy can't supply us with all of our power?

That's some a grade selective quoting from you there. You're practically a qualified climate change denier.

Any opinion on why coal power stations are so unviable without direct government funding that they are closing down all over the place, while private firms are willing to invest in renewables because they're a viable investment?

Even solar plants have a useful life shock/horror.

The point is private firms are willing to invest in renewables because they're a viable investment?
AEMO are saying building a plant, it cant be used to capacity SO beware the numbers. Its the why to suggesting ASIC need to have a look.

Your suggestion that the grid is woefully maintained seems to be inaccurate:
there was "clearly a need to reconfigure the network" from what he called the "hub and spoke model" — where large thermal generators in Victoria's Latrobe Valley and the NSW Hunter Valley are linked to major urban centres on the east coast via "transmission backbones".

We all know China & India continue to invest in coal - is solar really cheaper, they dont believe it.

Bit like building a house & expecting someone else to build a train line so you can get to work, hello !! Solar viability 101.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
Even solar plants have a useful life shock/horror.

The point is private firms are willing to invest in renewables because they're a viable investment?
AEMO are saying building a plant, it cant be used to capacity SO beware the numbers. Its the why to suggesting ASIC need to have a look.

Your suggestion that the grid is woefully maintained seems to be inaccurate:
there was "clearly a need to reconfigure the network" from what he called the "hub and spoke model" — where large thermal generators in Victoria's Latrobe Valley and the NSW Hunter Valley are linked to major urban centres on the east coast via "transmission backbones".

We all know China & India continue to invest in coal - is solar really cheaper, they dont believe it.

Bit like building a house & expecting someone else to build a train line so you can get to work, hello !! Solar viability 101.
new better technology requires new better infrastructure to work at maximum efficiency. shock horror!

but nah, lets keep using an inefficient system which was designed made for technology which is decades if not over 100 years old, and is so poorly maintained that it literally falls over and starts bushfires. We all know that technology was at its peak many decades ago. Thats why we are all driving cars from the 1950s.

Back