Prediction Moving Forward - What happens now

Remove this Banner Ad

If thing's go the way expected and Barlow becomes available, I'd be for giving him a go. Injury prone sure but we know he's capable and could be a good stop-gap for 2-3 years while our other midfielders develop. Would just have to trust that the fitness guys could keep him on the park.

What purpose would this serve? Zero point zero.

So as of now, we will be missing Thommo & Lyons providing 1 is transitioning to coach ala Pods.
Knights is twice the player Lyons is. Has everyone forgot the Bulldogs final last year when he looked like he had come of age?
Injury ruined his season this year but the upside next year is huge.
I'm sure we can find someone to cover Thommo. He is cooked. Any of the incumbents will provide more.
I'd love to see more of CC in the mids but I reckon Hamptons ready to go to the next level. Age and games played profile is exactly where you want it to be with someone with so much X factor. Thats the kid that excites me the most. These types can also be a massive disappointment and never take the next step though.........

As bad as it is to quote Kane Kornes, but I would definitely have a good look at Barlow. He fills an immediate need, was excellent after coming back from the wafl and we might be able to get him on the cheap. Yay or nay?
For free, not fully against it if he's in the side ahead of Thompson, don't want them in together.

He's a pretty crap kick and doesn't have much speed to him but he'd be our biggest midfielder by a bit (unless we decide to actually try CEY), can find a bit of it and tackle - can think of worse players to have playing. I think he's still got some good footy in him but I could be wrong, maybe he's past it.

The thing I'm not sure about is where we're at as a team? He's a nice pick but at his age, we should only really be going for him if we think we can have a serious crack in the next couple of years and he can contribute to that. With where we finished in 2016, I don't think we were far off and I could see it working yet here we are making no moves in the off-season which then suggests we don't think we're ready yet? If we're hitting the draft and trying to develop players, not sure Barlow is the right option.

If thing's go the way expected and Barlow becomes available, I'd be for giving him a go. Injury prone sure but we know he's capable and could be a good stop-gap for 2-3 years while our other midfielders develop. Would just have to trust that the fitness guys could keep him on the park.

Barlow ATS is no better than what we have in the SANFL waiting on their chance. They're already had years of development now. Use them next season.

As everyone continues the club bagging and criticism over the Gibb trade, remember this - If the AFL didn't change the rules to allow Geelong to trade another first round pick out with just 24 hours left in the trade period, we would have held a much stronger bargaining position. As soon as that disgraceful decision was made (which coincidently helped 2 Vic clubs), we lost any chance of Carlton accepting reasonable terms for Gibbs.

If you want to vent against anyone, shout from the tree-tops about the AFL once again manipulating 'rules' to suit their own Victorian biased agenda.

This so correct...I have already made a lengthy post in another thread over the way we have been treated. To quote Leppa"VFL have given us nothing". In our case it's true.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just say NO to Barlow. He is like Thommo COOKED!
He's not quite that bad, but I'd be wary of recruiting him. I actually thought he had a few really good games however he doesn't fit the age profile Ross wants now.

It's a no from me unless he's on minimum chips and has a 10 game contract.

We need to put a contract in front of Grimes. The bloke has ability and works hard with good leadership skills. In light of recent events, I think we have a spot for him in our squad.
If we needed leadership VB was your man.

Barlow is a much better player and a midfielder so if we go down the DFA route I would go with him.

It seems like everything is set up for CEY.

The midfield will obviously have a very different look and feel next year.

Sloane, b crouch, m crouch, CEY, Atkins, Cameron, Wigg, Greenwood, Knight

People will quite rightly question this groups ability to deliver.

I'm quietly optimistic that we will suprise, but it depends on getting new blood into the midfield coaching group.

We need to put a contract in front of Grimes. The bloke has ability and works hard with good leadership skills. In light of recent events, I think we have a spot for him in our squad.

I'd rather Barlow than Grimes to be honest. At least Barlow can play midfield to a reasonable extent, Grimes is just a s**t half back flank

not bad stats for M Barlow. Considering he was injured park of the season

2016 Highlights
Statistics Best Opponent Round
Kicks 19 Port Adelaide Rd 13
Handballs 24 Port Adelaide Rd 13
Disposals 43 Port Adelaide Rd 13
Marks 8 Brisbane Lions Rd 12
Hit-outs 3 Western Bulldogs Rd 1
Tackles 14 Carlton Rd 5
Goals 2 Port Adelaide Rd 13
AFL Fantasy 159 Port Adelaide Rd 13

You know why we shouldn't play Mackay, Douglas or Thompson? They're not *useless* players, but they are *pointless* players.

David Mackay is an outside mid who has never really done anything of note, despite a career spanning nine seasons. Has a couple of very good games in a sea of non-statistical and s**t games. Why play him then? He ain't getting any better. I think one or two good games in a season is a pretty s**t return on investment for 400 grand.

Scott Thompson got to 300 AFL games for a reason. He carried our midfield for several seasons and is simply a warrior. But all warriors must sheath their swords one day, and the club is unwilling to recognise that he is a shadow of his former self and cannot run anymore. When a younger midfield opponent burns him off, it's a sad sight and a symbol. The writing is on the wall, but people within the AFC are unwilling to read it and face facts. He's done. Why play him then?

Richard Douglas used to be a good player, but for some reason has metamorphisised into the dreaded 'Matthew Wright' non-statistical player. He ain't getting any better either. If at the age of 29 he has already hit the wall, don't play him!

You know why we shouldn't play Mackay, Douglas or Thompson? They're not *useless* players, but they are *pointless* players.

David Mackay is an outside mid who has never really done anything of note, despite a career spanning nine seasons. Has a couple of very good games in a sea of non-statistical and s**t games. Why play him then? He ain't getting any better. I think one or two good games in a season is a pretty s**t return on investment for 400 grand.

Scott Thompson got to 300 AFL games for a reason. He carried our midfield for several seasons and is simply a warrior. But all warriors must sheath their swords one day, and the club is unwilling to recognise that he is a shadow of his former self and cannot run anymore. When a younger midfield opponent burns him off, it's a sad sight and a symbol. The writing is on the wall, but people within the AFC are unwilling to read it and face facts. He's done. Why play him then?

Richard Douglas used to be a good player, but for some reason has metamorphisised into the dreaded 'Matthew Wright' non-statistical player. He ain't getting any better either. If at the age of 29 he has already hit the wall, don't play him!

But we have both McKay and Doulas on our list until the end of 2016.We need to make the most of the situation. It would have been great to move them on. I still think they have a little more to offer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back