Moving interstate

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all,

I have some questions about moving interstate.

I've lived in Melbourne my whole life but with housing prices going crazy and the rental crisis, along with my own life circumstances; I'm really considering a complete change.

The place I would like to move to is Hobart. I love Tasmania and with the job skills I have I'd get a job fairly easily I'd believe. The only problem I might have is that I might get bored easy because I love Melbourne's nightlife.

But here are the questions, how do you go about moving interstate; finding housing and choosing a good area to reside in? Well, basically and hints and tricks about moving interstate I would love to hear.

The place I would like to move to is Hobart. I love Tasmania and with the job skills I have I'd get a job fairly easily I'd believe. The only problem I might have is that I might get bored easy because I love Melbourne's nightlife.

I can't answer any of your questions but I went to Hobart last year to suss out if it would be an area I'd like to live in and I came away thinking I'd last about 6 months before wanting to go back to Melbourne.

I moved overseas in 2021. Only tips I'd guess I'd give for a simular move is declutter early. I packed and sent a few large items well in advance.

Ended my lease in advance and stayed and spent time with family before moving.

Made a list of stuff to cancel, foxtel, nbn, power/water/gas.

Having moved from VIC to SA to NT and QLD (and looking to move closer to home down south) just the simples with all i could pack into a medium sized car

• do your research
  • make sure wherever you are has clubs or entertainment or access to activities you need to be social (i swim and am involved in the local footy club)
  • ask locals if you know any friends or family there

I did the reverse of this (Tassie to Melbourne). To be honest, if you're used to Melbourne's nightlife then Tasmania isn't going to compare.

There's still plenty of great things about Tasmania, but most of them are outside of Hobart/Launceston. Plenty of the people who work in Launceston and Hobart also live outside of the two cities, so consider that option also.

Hi all,

I've lived in Melbourne my whole life but with housing prices going crazy and the rental crisis, along with my own life circumstances; I'm really considering a complete change.

But here are the questions, how do you go about moving interstate; finding housing and choosing a good area to reside in? Well, basically and hints and tricks about moving interstate I would love to hear.
Did the same back in Melbourne now but moved from melb to a smaller city
1. If you think you have a job lined up/all good that's ok but allow yourself a month of settling in money
2 biggest challenge is finding somewhere to live. Get on the sites and message early. Can even google map.it. if possible can you go down for a weekend to scope early.
3. Your stuff. Take what you can in your car. Drive down and hop on the ferry. Otherwise book a removal truck that rents by space. And minimise (A lot of removalists take their truck in your case from Sydney down to Melbourne and fill up their space before going to Tassie and dropping off)

As for choosing an area don't know. Head down if you can or reviews. Just stay out of crime ridden areas and try somewhere close to where you work.
As for nightlife depends what you like. Look at an events page or socials see what's on. Don't know what you mean thou. If you want a party lifestyle you can find it anywhere

Planning is numero uno. Do your online searching for properties and include google maps etc. Look around the area. Look at public transport areas - look close to expected work areas.

Go for a holiday and suss it out. 2 weeks walking the area you hope to live and sit in a cafe or on a bench and watch the world go by. Get in touch with realtors and let them know you are interested and for them to send you properties to look over. Sure you will get spam but its worth it.

Pack small - I still have boxes unopened from 15 years ago.

Yes lifestyle is very important - if you like a night out then check those out on your 2 week holiday. My brother moved to Tassie 20 years ago expecting some nightlife but found not much . He has 6 kids since moving there

You will know when you holiday which places suit your vibe

Good luck

Did the same back in Melbourne now but moved from melb to a smaller city
1. If you think you have a job lined up/all good that's ok but allow yourself a month of settling in money
2 biggest challenge is finding somewhere to live. Get on the sites and message early. Can even google map.it. if possible can you go down for a weekend to scope early.
3. Your stuff. Take what you can in your car. Drive down and hop on the ferry. Otherwise book a removal truck that rents by space. And minimise (A lot of removalists take their truck in your case from Sydney down to Melbourne and fill up their space before going to Tassie and dropping off)

As for choosing an area don't know. Head down if you can or reviews. Just stay out of crime ridden areas and try somewhere close to where you work.
As for nightlife depends what you like. Look at an events page or socials see what's on. Don't know what you mean thou. If you want a party lifestyle you can find it anywhere

I have done Melbourne to Adelaide to Hobart.

If the OP is looking to avoid a rental crisis then Hobart is not the place for you.

The thing with rentals in Hobart is they won't let you put an application in unless you physically inspect a property.

I looked at removalists and it was like $5k+ from Adelaide to Hobart.

I was on leave from my previous job until my new job started so I just decided to do it myself. Sold all my bulk stuff and then did an Adelaide to Hobart return and then an Adelaide to Hobart one way in the car / ferry. Cost me about $1,500 odd in Spirit fares and petrol.

First trip I bought a car load of stuff and left it with family. Spent two or three days in TAS and inspected properties and put in an application and luckily got the one I applied for, at the time there were over a hundred people at every open for inspection.

I've then went back to Adelaide via car / ferry, cleaned up the rental there and brought the rest of my stuff over to the new place in Hobart.

Turns out that making three trips on the Spirit in a week red flags the * out of their system. On the way back from Hobart to Adelaide I got intercepted by the police in Stawell on suspicion of drug trafficking hahaha. VICPOL must have put some sort of GPS on my car to see where I would go and then took me at their last opportunity before I headed back to Adelaide.

Hi all,

Really depends on your circumstances and what you want. If you are single and like nighlife , partying, live music, bars, dating, things to do etc moving from Melbourne to Tasmania or Adelaide is a recipe for disaster. Depression incoming.

Moving away from Adelaide if you are young, single and adventurous is the best thing a person can do.
If you are a single man over 35 in Adelaide.. well you might as well kill yourself, have a good doctor or plan trips every 4 to 6 months.

With a family then it is all different. Places like Tasmania and Deadlaide can be nice.

I moved from Victoria to Queensland 11 years ago. More out of obligation than desire and it took me a few years to really adjust and I'm not sure that I fully have yet. I've carved out a fairly good life for myself here but a part of me still wants to be in Victoria. The grass is not always greener on the other side.

I did the reverse of this (Tassie to Melbourne). To be honest, if you're used to Melbourne's nightlife then Tasmania isn't going to compare.

There's still plenty of great things about Tasmania, but most of them are outside of Hobart/Launceston. Plenty of the people who work in Launceston and Hobart also live outside of the two cities, so consider that option also.
I live night life but now I'm 32 I'm getting less interested in going out on a Saturday night and more interested in hanging out on the couch with a video game and the cats lol.

I moved from Victoria to Queensland 11 years ago. More out of obligation than desire and it took me a few years to really adjust and I'm not sure that I fully have yet. I've carved out a fairly good life for myself here but a part of me still wants to be in Victoria. The grass is not always greener on the other side.

Do You miss going to the footy etc ??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love Tassie .

But yeah ... night life etc.
Is there enough there to keep young AFL players happy if they get a team ..umm

Hi all,

I love tas .

Really depends on each person .
What they need in their lives...

Hobart looks lovely.
But Is it a right place .

If you don't have much things the move would be easy AF.

I have done Melbourne to Adelaide to Hobart.

If the OP is looking to avoid a rental crisis then Hobart is not the place for you.

The thing with rentals in Hobart is they won't let you put an application in unless you physically inspect a property.

I looked at removalists and it was like $5k+ from Adelaide to Hobart.

I was on leave from my previous job until my new job started so I just decided to do it myself. Sold all my bulk stuff and then did an Adelaide to Hobart return and then an Adelaide to Hobart one way in the car / ferry. Cost me about $1,500 odd in Spirit fares and petrol.

First trip I bought a car load of stuff and left it with family. Spent two or three days in TAS and inspected properties and put in an application and luckily got the one I applied for, at the time there were over a hundred people at every open for inspection.

I've then went back to Adelaide via car / ferry, cleaned up the rental there and brought the rest of my stuff over to the new place in Hobart.

Turns out that making three trips on the Spirit in a week red flags the * out of their system. On the way back from Hobart to Adelaide I got intercepted by the police in Stawell on suspicion of drug trafficking hahaha. VICPOL must have put some sort of GPS on my car to see where I would go and then took me at their last opportunity before I headed back to Adelaide.

Did you travel at night or day .

I'm going on the Spirit in a few days at night ..
Never been on ...hoping Imran get a few hours sleep in..

Do You miss going to the footy etc ??
Yep. That's the biggest thing I miss about Victoria. Before covid I was flying down a few times a year for the footy but covid put a stop to that. I managed to get down for two games a year this year plus the Brisbane game so three live games this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back