kid_a

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2010
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Hammarby IF, East Freo, Glory
Hi all, so I've been living in Sweden the last 18 months but alas I think it's time to return back to Australia (moved here for my ex, that ended 6 months ago, so just been living a party existence since but now starting to realise I need to get back to reality).

I'm pretty set on moving to Adelaide as I've moved around a lot my whole life and want experience new places to live often.

I know it has a rep as being 'boring' but still it's a city with more than a million people and seems to have decent beaches which is a must for me, and after living in places like the pilbara, Kalgoorlie and Gladstone (and for the most part enjoying it) I dont think Adelaide would be a downgrade on them.

So does anyone familiar with the city have any advice on which suburbs are best to live and what day to day life is like there?

I'm a nurse so not too fussed about job prospects, pretty confident I can snare one, just want a bit if info on the city itself.

Tbh I never want to live in Sydney or Melbourne, (and I've visited both places) just to give an insight into my personality. Too big, too wanky for me.

Tbh I never want to live in Sydney or Melbourne, (and I've visited both places) just to give an insight into my personality. Too big, too wanky for me.
Come to South East Queensland, paradise on Earth- beaches, hinterland, great restaurant precincts, fantastic weather, the Lions.

Mate I lived in noosa for the last two years of my high school, and in briz for an extra three years after that (hence my soft spot for lions, broncos and suns). Most of my best mates are still there so I visit often. But I need a new place.....

Adelaide is great if you enjoy wine (Barossa Valley, McClaren Vale, Clare Valley) and the beach. I’d live there but my partner wouldn’t (wants to be close to her parents).

Adelaide is a great city, those who knock it usually have never lived here and talk down on it because it's 'cool'.

The northern suburbs are nothing to write home about, I would not choose to live in areas around Salisbury, Elizabeth, Smithfield, Davoren Park etc although Mawson Lakes I think is not too bad if you are looking North. Further than that and there's Gawler which is also a pretty nice little town.
Having said that you said the beach is a priority so you'll probably be looking at western/southern suburbs. Henley, Grange, Glenelg, Brighton are all popular beaches although houses are going to be a bit pricier. I live in Plympton at the moment and love it, it's close to everything yet still pretty quiet, I've got the tram stop at the end of my street that can take me to Glenelg in 15 minutes or the CBD where I work in 25.

Day to day life is what you make it. It's not full on like Melbourne or Sydney but there's still enough happening around the place to keep it interesting. It feels like the city is taking big strides when it comes to dining/entertainment etc and it's an exciting time to live here. Hindley street is always gonna have a bad rep but there's some cool little bars off some of the side streets like Peel st that's not filled with 18 year olds on their first pingers looking for a fight. If you're in to live music there's also plenty of places around to catch a gig.

Come to South East Queensland, paradise on Earth- beaches, hinterland, great restaurant precincts, fantastic weather, the Lions.
The main issue is Queenslanders ;).

Adelaide gets a lot of knocks but it is a pretty good place to live. I have lived interstate and OS for decent stints but I’ll always call Adelaide home. I do live up North right near the Barossa and work at the airport and from home it takes 45min to an hour to get to work. As you like beaches you would probably want to live West or South of the City but prices can be quite a bit more but as mentioned above Plympton, Glandore, Kurralta Park (where I have lived) are half way from the beach to the city and have the tram.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few of my friends have moved away, they've all said the same thing. "There's nothing left for me in Adelaide" or "I'm bored".

Having said that if you like not much traffic and beaches, then you've picked the right place. I think there's a surplus of nurses here, I know graduates do struggle to find work here but with experience you should be fine.

Its a great convenient city, the western suburbs have everything - basketball arena, soccer stadium, plenty of restaurants, most of the beaches, currently building two massive rec centres (st. clair and lockleys), a trillion gyms.

Adelaide is a great city, those who knock it usually have never lived here and talk down on it because it's 'cool'.

The northern suburbs are nothing to write home about, I would not choose to live in areas around Salisbury, Elizabeth, Smithfield, Davoren Park etc although Mawson Lakes I think is not too bad if you are looking North.
For the OP unless you can't afford anything else (and compared to Melbourne and Sydney you'll get into a lot better suburb for the same money) you don't go further North then Gepps Cross road (Gepps Cross), further South then Beach Road (Morphett Vale) or beyond Bridgewater (East). No Western dividing line, except your ability to breath water 24/7 if you go out beyond the coast :D

I enjoyed my time living in Melbourne (2000 - 2007), but if you're after something that has most things Melbourne and Sydney do, without the amount of noise, crowding or crime (insert SA serial killer joke here) then Adelaide's better. Really it's only a few concerts, conventions etc. that bypass Adelaide. And if it's one you want to see, there's an excuse for a weekend away. And certainly if you get to the stage of wanting to raise a family, Adelaide is more family friendly, IMO, a place to raise kids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back