Moving to Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi posters

Looking at moving to Brisbane to work this year. Office located in CBD.

Moving up with the wife and 2 kids (3 & 2 y.o.) and another child due in April 2020.

Thoughts on where i should be looking to rent? Best areas and value?

Hi posters

Moving up with the wife and 2 kids (3 & 2 y.o.) and another child due in April 2020.

All depends mate - what kind of lifestyle do you and the family like and where are you currently based in Melbourne?

True. I'm in Keysborough at the moment, and we're a relaxed type of lifestyle.

That makes it easier. That style of living is abundant in Brisbane. If you liked the Brunswick/Fitzroy lifestyle this would have been a bit of a tough conversation to have haha.

Honestly most of Brisbane is suburban, decent sized blocks with a biggish backyard. Most suburbs have a mix of both newer housing estates and older 'Queenslander' style homes. It all depends on what you want to be close to I guess.

Most Brissy suburbs are going to have shopping precincts and a bigger shopping centre with cinemas etc within a shortish drive - but there won't be one long street with shops along it like you get down here. Keeping in mind that supermarkets close at 9pm on weekdays and at 5pm or 6pm on a Saturday and Sunday. Ducking out for late night supplies means you're at the mercy of a convenience store!

I guess look towards what you want to get out of Brissy while you're there. Want to head to Lions games? Look for the innerish Eastern suburbs like Coorparoo and Camp Hill. I lived in Camp Hill and it was a really decent spot - serviced by buses and trains. Coorparoo has changed a fair bit since I left Brissy and now has a cinema of its own and the large Westfield in Carindale is just down the road. You're about 7-15 minute drive from the city from there. You can easily get onto the motorways there so can head up and down the coast with ease. I was always in the SE suburbs thoug so I am biased - you'll find the norhtside vs southside debate in Brisbane is stupidly fierce for no good reason. I also have never raised kids in Brissy so not sure if there are suburbs where it's more kid-friendly.

Wherever you settle on just make sure it has really good public transport options into the city.

Hi posters

How are you planning on getting into work? Driving or public transport?

As Ned said, if you want chilled lifestyle, you can pretty much close your eyes and point to a map and find somewhere suitable.

I grew up around Centenary area ie. Middle Park, Westlake, Riverhills etc. It's pretty good for young families, decent sized brick houses and shouldn't cost too much in rent. Pretty chilled area. Biggest drawback would be driving to work as the Centenary Highway gets pretty busy. Also, not particularly close to any train lines though doesn't take too long to get into the city by bus. Schools around the area are pretty good (or at least were when I was there 25 years ago!).

If you want to be close to the city, my tip would be inner north side. Somewhere around Newmarket, Ashgrove, Windor, etc. Great for train links and for driving, you'll be into work and home in like 20 minutes. There's a few major roads going into the city from the north side so it's never too bad to get in. Whereas south side (like Coopooroo and Camp Hill are), you're at the mercy of the Story Bridge and South East Freeway. Nice areas still, close to the city, just peak hour traffic can be a bitch. (Yeh, I'm on the Northside side of the debate! ;) )

If you wanted to be neighbours with Brishawk, you could look around Springfield Lakes (further out from the Centenary area). A newish area for young families, affordable, lots of development in the area. You'd just be ******* miles from the city!

I'd avoid anything south and south west of the Centenary area, bar Forest Lake and Springfield Lakes (from Inala towards Ipswich I'd stay clear). Pretty much all of Brisbane is pretty affordable and chilled, especially compared to Melbourne! It'll just come down to how far out you want to live.

How are you planning on getting into work? Driving or public transport?

As Ned said, if you want chilled lifestyle, you can pretty much close your eyes and point to a map and find somewhere suitable.

I grew up around Centenary area ie. Middle Park, Westlake, Riverhills etc. It's pretty good for young families, decent sized brick houses and shouldn't cost too much in rent. Pretty chilled area. Biggest drawback would be driving to work as the Centenary Highway gets pretty busy. Also, not particularly close to any train lines though doesn't take too long to get into the city by bus. Schools around the area are pretty good (or at least were when I was there 25 years ago!).

If you want to be close to the city, my tip would be inner north side. Somewhere around Newmarket, Ashgrove, Windor, etc. Great for train links and for driving, you'll be into work and home in like 20 minutes. There's a few major roads going into the city from the north side so it's never too bad to get in. Whereas south side (like Coopooroo and Camp Hill are), you're at the mercy of the Story Bridge and South East Freeway. Nice areas still, close to the city, just peak hour traffic can be a bitch. (Yeh, I'm on the Northside side of the debate! ;) )

If you wanted to be neighbours with Brishawk, you could look around Springfield Lakes (further out from the Centenary area). A newish area for young families, affordable, lots of development in the area. You'd just be ******* miles from the city!

I'd avoid anything south and south west of the Centenary area, bar Forest Lake and Springfield Lakes (from Inala towards Ipswich I'd stay clear). Pretty much all of Brisbane is pretty affordable and chilled, especially compared to Melbourne! It'll just come down to how far out you want to live.

Shouldn't Brishawk be pretty much renaming himself to Ipswichhawk then? :p

Oh also MrPremiership - any potential area you look at, just make sure it wasn't touced by the floods in '74 or '11 as you'll be paying a premium on your contents insurance.

Lord Mud of Glenferrie

Club Legend
Hawthorn Hawks - Lowden, Anderson, Woodward Player Sponsor 2013 Hawthorn Hawks - Smith and Savage 2011 Player Sponsor Hawthorn Hawks - Smith and Savage 2012 Player Sponsor
Dec 13, 2008
Tied to an oxygen tube
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Canetoads Bulls Gunners Packers
As Ned Said do a very careful search of the flood maps. Brisbane always was hot in summer but with so much concrete tile roofs, concrete driveways and roads together with climate change are making Brisbane even hotter.

I was born in Brisbane - spent the first 18 years in Brissy and am now back in Brisbane. I would be looking toward the coastal suburbs whether south or north of the river. A highish residence that can capture the cooler sea breezes would be my choice.

If you have the money around Shorncliffe on the north side or the bay suburbs on the south side. I would suggest not go too far North, South or West.

Oh another tip - you might think years of Victorian winters will gird you for a Brisbane winter. During the day - you’re absolutely right and you’ll be rocking around in a T-shirt when Brisbanites are in scarves and coats. However the nights can get really cold, and a lot of older Queensland homes aren’t built to retain heat (for obvious reasons) so you could be freezing your arse off come winter nights at home. Reverse cycle will be handy!

Flamin Joe

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 22, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Glenelg, Norwood

Ah, it seems there are a few Hawks in this area. I live and work in the general area (not Springfield but close by) and I've seen a few Hawks stickers on cars in my travels. Might explain at least one sighting. :)

Springfield certainly does have it's distance from the city but one benefit I see is that the Lions will be setting up shop in the area so it will have a bit of a footy flavour to it in years to come. I don't think it will ever host Home and Away matches but I wouldn't be surprised to see preseason games played there. I believe it will also be the Lions AFLW Home Ground so who knows in the future when we get a team you'll be able to see them play there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back