Home & Garden Moving to Melbourne from rural Tasmania

Remove this Banner Ad

Title says it all, moving in late January. Absolutely shitting myself, coming from a ~600 person town under a mountain down here on this little island.

Any tips or tricks? I'll be living in Brighton with two friends, and will be commuting by train. Any quirks of the city that I wouldn't be aware? Anything to easy my concerns, really :p

Stay in Tasmania

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not an option. Have a grad position lined up, and ICT jobs in this state are a joke unless you want to be a computer repairman.

Well, if you're working in the cbd, commuting from Brighton will be a piece of piss (and getting to/from the footy). You'll be living in a wealthy suburb, minimal crime, not much noise and not be far from the beach on a nice summer day.

You'll have a blast.

I hope so! I've holidayed in Melbourne plenty of times, but this is my first experience living out of Van Diemen's Land.
How long would a train take from Brighton to the CBD, of a morning?

25-30 mins i reckon.
Thanks! Not too bad then. Will be a bit different to not drive myself to work. No room for error with public transport

Brighton....good location to make your way to chapel st/st kilda for food and drinks.
Haha, that's what people have been telling me. Keen to try Australian food.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-26/three-arrested-over-death-of-man-at-brighton-east/9087074

3 men have allegedly assaulted and killed their housemate in Brighton. I wonder what Engimal did to set them off so quickly ;)

ps what a dump though it is probably still worth 2 million.

Yeah, but at least people go to jail for murders in Victoria. I know a bloke with a jar of human thumbs, and I wish I was joking. Where I live in Tassie is about as close to lawless as it comes.

Don't forget all the bars and bistros and coffee and up to 5 AFL games per week

Yeah, just upgraded my membership today! Can't wait to be "disappointed in person", as my Hawks supporting friend put it to me. ;)

Well, if you're working in the cbd, commuting from Brighton will be a piece of piss (and getting to/from the footy). You'll be living in a wealthy suburb, minimal crime, not much noise and not be far from the beach on a nice summer day.

You'll have a blast.

Hmmmmmmm ;)

(srsly tho- just read up about that was horrific what happened to that man)

Engimal v3 welcome to Melbourne love it, lived here my whole life (opposite area to where you are). All I can offer is be prepared for the PT system to annoy the **** out of you (if it completely shuts down dont just stand on the platform like some noob, just go hit up a pub for a couple hours), get a myki and load it up over the internet- dont stand in a line to do it at the station. Be prepared for people to be rude/stand offish- you wont really chat to people on the train tbh.

Hit up meet up groups online- good way to get out there and meet people if you already dont. That's where you'll find some friendly people dw.

Good luck

Oh and buy a good umbrella. Good quality umbrella and a thick coat. Well maybe not right now.. not until April.

Hmmmmmmm ;)

(srsly tho- just read up about that was horrific what happened to that man)

Engimal v3 welcome to Melbourne love it, lived here my whole life (opposite area to where you are). All I can offer is be prepared for the PT system to annoy the **** out of you (if it completely shuts down dont just stand on the platform like some noob, just go hit up a pub for a couple hours), get a myki and load it up over the internet- dont stand in a line to do it at the station. Be prepared for people to be rude/stand offish- you wont really chat to people on the train tbh.

Hit up meet up groups online- good way to get out there and meet people if you already dont. That's where you'll find some friendly people dw.

Good luck

Oh and buy a good umbrella. Good quality umbrella and a thick coat. Well maybe not right now.. not until April.

Yeah, I've been recommended to do the Myki stuff online. Bit worried about relying on public transport, given that it's basically non-existant in Tassie and I've never had to do it before. Should be alright though, I imagine many people are in the same boat.

Not too worried about the rain and cold, especially not the cold. If you hadn't noticed, the title says I'm from Tassie. ;)

Really excited though. Melbourne is my favourite city and there's so much to do.

Some places I like: Duke of Wellington (will get busy af before a game tho), Young and Jacksons and for Etihad: The Woolshed and Nixon.

Spice Market is a great little find for meet ups before Friday night games too. Still close to the G, good drinks specials and doesnt get busy at that time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back