Moving to Tassie

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been a Qlder for 21 years after being a Tasmanian for 26. Grew up at York Park and the Gorge. Spent the first seven years up here telling everyone I could move back in a second, but when I did finally go back I felt totally detached, and since then it's just parochial pride and footy that makes me beat the chest. I can't imagine moving back, especially now that I live on the beach in Far North Qld barra, cassowary and croc country...! I decided to move when watching the weather one night in August 1995, when it said Launceston 8, Brisbane 27, and about ten minutes later me and the gf had made the decision to move to the GC. All our mates had already gone or would go, there was a bit of a Tasmanian exodus in the 1990's. My neighbour over the road is my age and from Burnie, and he's the local banana grower! Don't miss the biting cold (which did give me back problems) or jack jumpers...!

But what the extended layoffs did was make me view the place completely differently when I did visit. Tasmanians have this distorted perception of distance, so drives I always thought were ordeals in the old days were really just quick trips compared to the mainland. I also lived inland in Launceston, but these days I need the ocean and the regular chance to get on my boat. If I moved back I'd either go country (Evandale or Perth) or more likely the East Coast (any part, north or south). Never really liked the NW, although I'm sure I kept missing the good bits, and never been to the West Coast. I do like Hobart, although as a northerner I'm not supposed to say that, but the hills annoy me (mind you, that's everywhere anyway). Having said all that, for some reason New Norfolk appeals despite never having been there, but I'm sure southerners could point out better spots. Coles Bay, probably...

So for me it's the weather, plus where my life has taken me career and marriage wise, so I won't be back. I miss the f### out of local footy, and, putting it bluntly, Tasmanians are better people than mainlanders. I'll always beat the chest, but it's all in the past now...

Sounds like you might have suffered from seasonal depression, where cold weather makes you depressed.
My brother gets it i also joke that he should piss off to QLD and quit complaining.

Went there for the Easter Break.

glory be me if Battery Point isn't one of the nicest suburbs in Australia. Offer some decent jobs in Hobart and I'd move there in a heartbeat.
Yes. Battery Point is just beautiful. That area around the Shipwright Arms Hotel...

Sandy Bay is also great. But BP is next level.

I love Tassie, visit 2-3 times a year the last 5 years. Visit a mate who loves his fishing like myself and I bring back $$$ of crayfish ect. I currently live in Geelong but once my employer shuts the gates I'll be looking directly at Hobart to move. I'm 29 my house is nearly paid off, currently a fitter and turner by trade but also studying my bachelor degree in mechanical engineering. I'm hoping to get into the Australian Antarctic Division for a job down there, my missus is a Cancer Nurse so I'm sure she'll be fine for work too. She loves it too as I stole her from Norway and it reminds her of home...

Best place in Australia for lifestyle :thumbsu:

I love Tassie, visit 2-3 times a year the last 5 years. Visit a mate who loves his fishing like myself and I bring back $$$ of crayfish ect. I currently live in Geelong but once my employer shuts the gates I'll be looking directly at Hobart to move. I'm 29 my house is nearly paid off, currently a fitter and turner by trade but also studying my bachelor degree in mechanical engineering. I'm hoping to get into the Antarctic Research Department for a job down there, my missus is a Cancer Nurse so I'm sure she'll be fine for work too.

Best place in Australia for lifestyle :thumbsu:
Antarctica! Make sure you take more than boardies and a singlet...

Talking of both Antarctica and Tasmania - I've always wanted to get to Macquarie Island. Looks very pretty. But exceedingly hard to get to.

Yes. Battery Point is just beautiful. That area around the Shipwright Arms Hotel...

Sandy Bay is also great. But BP is next level.
i lived in BP and i hated it. old houses, no side street parking and always very busy. SB very similar with the Uni.

much prefer the "inner north", a phase i just made up then i think. That would be New Town, Lutana and Mt Stuart and around these areas. very close to the city but you are not affected by the negatives of the city or Sandy Bay Rd. much better road infrastructure.

Last edited:
i lived in BP and i hated it. old houses, no side street parking and always very busy. SB very similar with the Uni.

much prefer the "inner north", a phase i just made up then i think. That would be New Town, Lutana and Mt Stuart and around these areas. very close to the city but you are not affected by the negatives of the city or Sandy Bay Rd. must better road infrastructure.

I was running a statewide courier business and was in Hobart every morning. Never had traffic problems until hitting MacQuarie St and Sandy Bay Rd. Really slowed my day!

Any area between the CBD and Creek Rd would be a fantastic place to live. New Town between the main road and the Brooker always struck me as a nice area and easily accessable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back