Mr. Bean

Remove this Banner Ad

I suppose that playing a character like Mr Bean is so easy by virtue of the fact that an actor would have very few lines to remember, and also the fact that the episodes can be seen in other countries around the world where very little translation is needed.

And apart from the nudity from time to time, he is inoffensive - well, he hardly uses bad language, does he? ;)

Well, The Curse of Mr Bean off ITunes:

Do you think Bean ever goes after those boys who caused him to fall from the diving board?

Likewise, I wish i could be a fly on the wall when the parents of the little girl in the yellow swimsuit realise that she's got a pair of men's swim trunks with her as well as her snorkel.

I wonder if the women's swimming class that Bean flashes are traumatised for long?

I loved the episode where Mr. Bean's car had a flat battery and an elderly man had a heart attack in the street. When the ambulance arrived Mr. Bean secretly used jumper leads to jump start his car from the ambulance. His car now fixed, Mr. Bean drives happily away. The ambulance also prepares to take off to transport the sick man to hospital - and immediately breaks down thanks to Mr. Bean having jump started his car from its engine.

As most 90s kids, was obsessed with Mr. Bean as a kid, must have watched them all several times at least.

Sure, Atkinson has other skills in his repertoire, but Mr. Bean is more his take on the (mostly) silent comedian (and as has been mentioned, in the vein of Hulot). Therefore, kids respond to it in the same way they would Chaplin. Timeless for mine.

The 1st movie I've grown fond of over the years, but I nearly walked out of the 2nd movie.

I have a family photo from the year The Curse of Mr Bean was filmed, taken at my local swimming centre of the beginners swimmers class, and EVERY ONE of the small girls is wearing some variation of the swimsuit the little girl in The Curse of Mr Bean wore.

One of the boys at the swimming pool looks like one of cousins did at the time, which makes it even more funny.

And of course even if eighties culture and fashion hadn't "hung over" into the early nineties, since there was no year zero, 1990 is part of the previous decade.

I occasionally think about what fictional characters do after the story is over, and how their lives might continue. However, one can overthink such things, particularly in the area of slapstick where IRL such antics would often result in arrest, injury or death.

I mean, in one Mr Bean outing he literally headbutts the Queen. Tell me that wouldn't have serious consequences.

I don’t like it when helpless members of society get caught up in Bean’s antics such as babies. I was a victim of abuse as a child and the emotional scars have faded but never healed. Whenever a child causes trouble for Bean like the two boys or the little blonde girl that takes his swim trunks, I remain frightened that Bean is capable of violence against those children for the sake of revenge. Just like my father who liked to throw me around when he was in a rage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back