FTA-TV Mr Inbetween

Remove this Banner Ad

Brilliant series. Great acting. The finale was sad - brutal - engrossing and many other emotions. The way the series signed off was very similar to probably The Greatest series ever made. Well done Scott Ryan and Nash Edgerton.

BTW I loved the many AFL snippets in the series even though Ray lived in Sydney- showing his Victorian roots there.

Yeh the 2017 GF was out of place in the finale though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apart from so much else to love about this series, one standout was the faces - all so lived-in with stories to tell through the wrinkles and crevices. For once in Australian TV you actually felt that the line between excellent acting and real-life experience was not that blurred.

Oh and for anyone like me, who has had the experience of being parent to a twelve YO daughter, that third season rang so very true. The young lass in that role was exceptional.

Ray doesn't change much over three seasons, but the series is still this amazing character study.

Scott should get all the plaudits and keen as to see what he does next, but shout out to that rest of the cast who feel so lived in regardless for how long they are on screen.

Every time an episode ends and the credits roll I can't help but wonder if we're looking at a preview of the final shot of the series with the rain and the flashing lights.

When the rain started hitting I almost thought we were. Liked what we got obviously, but this would've been cool as hell too. Especially because of how striking and unique those credits are.

I assumed there'd be ten episodes because, well I don't know, round numbers and all that I guess. Unlike the Sopranos though, there's little doubt what happened next here

I thought it was pretty obvious what happened in the finale of The Sopranos. Everything pointed to the outcome. I think Mr InBetween ending is more up to interpretation. But that's just my opinion.

I thought it was pretty obvious what happened in the finale of The Sopranos. Everything pointed to the outcome. I think Mr InBetween ending is more up to interpretation. But that's just my opinion.
I honestly can only see one outcome at the end of Mr Inbetween that doesn't completely fly in the face of everything that came before it.

Well what a fantastic surprise this show was. Recommended to me by my bro who generally has terrible taste, but we've watched just about everything else so gave it a go.

Started Saturday night, finished last night.

It had us pissing ourselves at times, sobbing at others and there were moments of sheer dread. All in all I would rate it my favourite Aussie show of all time, but I guess I just love the genre, being a big Sopranos, Dexter, Breaking Bad and Ozarks fan. Mr InBetween stacks up with them for me.

Things I loved...

The interaction with Brett was just priceless. Having raised two daughters, she was so "on point" and poor Ray was always a step behind. That's reality right there! The sex talk was one of the funniest things ever.

The episode when he helped Bruce out was brilliantly understated. They didn't prolong it, they didn't glorify it or make it preachy. It was just real and raw and oh so sad.

Loved the unabashed Aussieness of all the casual interactions. No attempt to Americanise it which was refreshing - Americans have more than enough of their shows to watch. Let them watch an Aussie show with Aussies being Aussies. Didn't see one 'have a nice day". Instead it was "how's your day been?" 'Yeah, not too bad. Yours?" Loved it.

There were a few meh episodes, but you get that in the very best of TV shows. Thankfully the short episodes and limited number of them meant it really didn't have time to meander too badly or too often.

Kind of disappointed it has finished, but also happy that it didn't drag out like some shows do. It will be in our "rewatch" list for sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back