MRP / Trib. MRP 2019

yoong

Club Legend
May 9, 2013
3,919 km from Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Christian literally said weeks ago that someone would have to go off the ground and for a considerable time for something to be graded medium impact (post Wilson incident). quite literally 4 weeks later the duman incident happens. It’s simply maddeningly inconsistent and based on the table they go by it shouldn’t have been 2 weeks. You can’t tell me that’s medium impact.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-25/kanga-free-to-play-after-gut-punch-seven-more-fined-

"He would certainly need to go off the ground (for it to be graded medium impact) … and for a considerable time," Christian told AFL.com.au's The Verdict.
"In terms of our four grades – low, medium, high and severe – medium would be off the ground for a significant amount of time, perhaps even a concussion test.

Actually, it’s more complicated than that. The following week, Dusty elbowed a GWS player in the head and MRP gave it a “medium” using the infamous “potential to cause serious injury”. Then this got overturned into a “low” at tribunal after Richmond challenged.

I actually don’t like all these striking off the ball and it needs to stop. And I’m actually ok if they decided that an intentional hit to the head is worth 2 weeks.
Problem is that the pass weeks they have already let a whole bunch of players get away with a fine (for body) and 1 week (for high contact). Now that it’s an interstate player let’s “slap him with a 2 weeks as an example” doesn’t sit well with me.

I actually don’t like all these striking off the ball and it needs to stop. And I’m actually ok if they decided that an intentional hit to the head is worth 2 weeks.
Problem is that the pass weeks they have already let a whole bunch of players get away with a fine (for body) and 1 week (for high contact). Now that it’s an interstate player let’s “slap him with a 2 weeks as an example” doesn’t sit well with me.
Yeah I completely agree, I’d have no issue if they simply said and consistently applied a penalty for off the ball hits like what Duman did and they specified so at the start of the season but given what they have done so far it shouldn’t be 2 weeks.

Freo Dr

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Actually, it’s more complicated than that. The following week, Dusty elbowed a GWS player in the head and MRP gave it a “medium” using the infamous “potential to cause serious injury”. Then this got overturned into a “low” at tribunal after Richmond challenged.

Exactly. Taylin Duman? Never heard of him so slap with him 2 weeks. Dangerfield/Martin other big name we go softly softly.

Beak_A

All Australian
Dec 11, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Christian literally said weeks ago that someone would have to go off the ground and for a considerable time for something to be graded medium impact (post Wilson incident). quite literally 4 weeks later the duman incident happens. It’s simply maddeningly inconsistent and based on the table they go by it shouldn’t have been 2 weeks. You can’t tell me that’s medium impact.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-25/kanga-free-to-play-after-gut-punch-seven-more-fined-

"He would certainly need to go off the ground (for it to be graded medium impact) … and for a considerable time," Christian told AFL.com.au's The Verdict.
"In terms of our four grades – low, medium, high and severe – medium would be off the ground for a significant amount of time, perhaps even a concussion test.

Thanks fir posting that I thought Christian had gone to great lengths to spell that out somewhere. Fekkin eejit

Surely, given Christian’s own statements the club had to challenge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheMcManusNose

Premiership Player
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks
Yeah challenge based on that.

Honestly I think it's fair - it's a pretty blatant strike to the face.

Wouldn't mind seeing the inconsistency held to account though.

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
Eh i reckon just leave it, Duman is a decent player but I reckon we can manage a couple of weeks without him. Take the 2 weeks, and then bring back Blakely this week, if he's fit you play him, there's no question about it.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
Surely, given Christian’s own statements the club had to challenge

I want us to challenge not because I even care about the penalty, but because I want to see Christian squirm while he tries to explain away his blatantly contradictory statements.

Someone has to start holding this crap to account.

Beak_A

All Australian
Dec 11, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
I want us to challenge not because I even care about the penalty, but because I want to see Christian squirm while he tries to explain away his blatantly contradictory statements.

Absolutely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle

Agree. Freo have to support their player here and point out inconsistencies.

yoong

Club Legend
May 9, 2013
3,919 km from Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle

https://m.afl.com.au/video/2019-03-25/why-key-saint-and-roo-are-free-to-play-in-r2

Yeah. I also want to know why when a Freo player got hit and down for a while it’s a low. He needs to be carried off the ground to be a medium impact. But when its a hit by a Freo play, this is not the case any more.

Cobbler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Again I know I’ll be laughed at but if Duman’s is graded as it is why isn’t Whitfield sited?

Intentional - body - medium impact?

It’s literally the same force. They are both pushing.

UYD 4 Life

All Australian
Nov 27, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Again I know I’ll be laughed at but if Duman’s is graded as it is why isn’t Whitfield sited?

I imagine impact is more related to the damage done than the force exerted.

I agree with everyone else that i would be happy for 2 weeks if the precedence wasn't a fine or 1 week. They should do something like double the points for any behind the play hits

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle

yep spot on

Duman's hit came off the shoulder too so a lot of the force would have gone through that anyway

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think that this incident should be worth two weeks tbh.

It hasn’t been until now this season though and for that reason it’s probably worth challenging.

And Whitfield should’ve got a fine or a week for the previous hit/s. Let’s stamp this shite out of the game. FWIW Gaff is a flog and should take the consequences for the result of his punch but if he’d get a week for the same punch to Brayshaw’s stomach then is his punch happening in the first place - fat chance.

Back