MRP / Trib. MRP 2019

Sep 2, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NUFC , Pistons , Lions
“Deboy says Walters grabbed Lockhart by the guernsey and pulled him in, then moved his head forward and headbutted Lockhart with his forehead.”

Wish we had better footage than someone in the crowds cell phone camera as to me Walters’ arms never leave his side... bulldust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Umpire is making assumptions of I think or it was..
watch AFL give them the utmost respect and ban Walters. Eye witness report are so misleading.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
If Walters actually headbutted the guy he’d be out for five plus.

You just know the AFL will take the opinion of the umpire who could’ve got it wrong - not the victim who thinks the opposite and is probably equally as credible.

May 13, 2014
at the footy
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Roys, Melb Stars, Gryffindor
“Deboy says Walters grabbed Lockhart by the guernsey and pulled him in, then moved his head forward and headbutted Lockhart with his forehead.”

Wish we had better footage than someone in the crowds cell phone camera as to me Walters’ arms never leave his side... bulldust

It'll be the 2nd contact where Walters pulls Lockhart towards him. I thought the headbutt would be the first impact. Now I'm even more skeptical it even happened.
https://www.afl.com.au/video/2019-06-22/walters-on-report-for-headbutt

Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers
The AFL will never publicly scrutinize an umpire. Big reason why they’ll not improve.

In American sports, all their decisions are heavily judged. They get a lot more right too

when Hawk goes "we have always had problems with this guy right here" a certain bald flog pops into my head. I would love to see this sort of roasting from a broadcaster during a game, although he'd probably be fired later in the day.

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
The AFL will never publicly scrutinize an umpire. Big reason why they’ll not improve.

In American sports, all their decisions are heavily judged. They get a lot more right too

I think they have an out here. They can say it was head contact of a sort, basically validate the umpire's call, but downgrade the force to negligible and throw a fine at him ... not sure if the criteria allows for that, haven't checked, but that should be doable in this instance.

BTW, I watch a lot of US Basket Ball, NFL and bits of the others - there isn't a sport that is as hard to umpire as AFL, not helped with inept leadership and rule setting, but fact is this is a nightmare sport to officiate. Got to live with that, but consistency in matters such as the tribunal and MRO should be far more possible ... but again, AFL can't seem to work it out.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton

I actually thought Walters was suspended for the first bit of contact and thought it was bs he got suspended...Lockhart was moving forward to Walters as well.

But he's actually been done for the second bit of contact. Can't see it clearly because by this time Walters' back is to the camera and obstructing our view, but you can make out JUST that the umpires story checks out...look closely and you can see Walters has grabbed Lockhart with his left arm and then headbutted him. Lockhart's head snaps back a little bit and he immediately touches his forehead with his hand.

The force is low, but headbutts are ruled more harshly than some other acts.

FreoBraddles

Team Captain
Feb 19, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Lockhart now being questioned by AFL counsel Andrew Woods - "is it correct you have no desire to see Walters lose a game".

Lockhart: "correct".

Freoforever86

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle

when Hawk goes "we have always had problems with this guy right here" a certain bald flog pops into my head. I would love to see this sort of roasting from a broadcaster during a game, although he'd probably be fired later in the day.

Hawk had some great cracks at joe west. Was brilliant

Freoforever86

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think they have an out here. They can say it was head contact of a sort, basically validate the umpire's call, but downgrade the force to negligible and throw a fine at him ... not sure if the criteria allows for that, haven't checked, but that should be doable in this instance.

BTW, I watch a lot of US Basket Ball, NFL and bits of the others - there isn't a sport that is as hard to umpire as AFL, not helped with inept leadership and rule setting, but fact is this is a nightmare sport to officiate. Got to live with that, but consistency in matters such as the tribunal and MRO should be far more possible ... but again, AFL can't seem to work it out.

I disagree. Baseball is a nightmare to umpire. Rules are more cut and dry, but the strike zone is pretty much a grey area. Btw umpires need to maintain about a 95% correct call ratio to keep their job in MLB. All of it is scrutinized

Back