ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
Ha! What a joke. Of course it was intentional - you don't unintentionally lead with your head into someone (except if you're Nick Suban and in the middle of a MAJOR brain fart), but the contact was negligible. Those muppets have no freakin clue whatsoever. That said, however - wooohoooo. Stupid report, and subsequent sanction, in the first place.

Nodgey

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SDFC, Liverpool, Scorchers
I haven't been following this all that closely. So how many weeks did Jones cop for shoulder charging Walters in the head? Intentional, high, moderate impact - I'm guessing two, maybe even three??

bushchook

All Australian
Dec 9, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
we must be looking at different video footage. He rightly copped his wack for being careless and should have shown more care for the Guelfi to ensure he did not help him go anywhere near boundary. It could have been a lot worse if there was no chair and he went head on straight into the fence.

It's within the rules to push someone in the side when you are both going for the ball. It's not McGovern's fault that the fence is too close to the boundary line.

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Just liked that Walters was emphatic with his evidence as reported when asked about the headbutt he says: "I most definitely did not" and this was supported by the Melbourne player Lockhart.

McGovern on the other hand left too many things about his defence open to speculation for the tribunal eg: why he chose to push rather than bump, whether he knew Guelfi would be the field of play or not when he made contact, and whether he would have done the same action in another part of the ground.

Fred Ziffel

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
Cockburn W.A
AFL Club
Fremantle
Think the AFL should cut us a cheque now for our time, lawyer costs, and emotional damage to Walters. Might make them think twice before engaging in frivolous suspension attempts

That’s a good point and begs the question.
Can the club have a “ costs award “ ?.... we have clearly incurred a cost.
For such a pathetically feeble charge, why should our club or any club for that matter be out of pocket ?

Does anybody know if clubs can have costs awarded to them ?
I dare say the tribunal panel does not work on a volunteer basis, therefore frivolous reports by over zealous umpires has a double cost to the clubs.

Cobbler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I know it won't happen but Luke Ryan should challenge his fine.

That wasn't even a free kick (well it was holding the ball) and he's been fined to justify the umpire's incompetence.

Absolute joke.

Agree. Absolute joke.
There’s been 100s of tackles like that. What made it different is Cameron tried to shake it off but forgot he weighed 45kgs and as such got himself in a poor position.

DMan 11

Premiership Player
Apr 3, 2012
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not that I’m overly fussed about how carp the AFL are - but seriously, Ben Cunnington has been cited for his fourth (?) punch this year.... but surprise - gets off again !!!
Not only has he gotten off the ones he’s been charged for, but I swear there’s about 4 others that he hasn’t been charged for .
WTF is up with this guy, Captain Teflon

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
Not that I’m overly fussed about how carp the AFL are - but seriously, Ben Cunnington has been cited for his fourth (?) punch this year.... but surprise - gets off again !!!
Not only has he gotten off the ones he’s been charged for, but I swear there’s about 4 others that he hasn’t been charged for .
WTF is up with this guy, Captain Teflon

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cunnington playing as he does is a living monument to the incompetence of the AFL MR system.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back