Streaming Ms. Marvel

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

First episode now out on Disney+.

Wasn't too bad. Haven't read the comics, but they've casted well. Has a fun vibe similar to Into the Spider-verse.

Small post credit scene indicates that something bigger will kick off too I hope.

Last edited:
Decided to watch this before Obi-Wan. Enjoyed it, got very Scott Pilgrim vs The World vibes with the art and story beats being ingrained into the environment.

Very different to anything Marvel have produced, which I like, instead of the cookie cutter Marvel tropes.

Read the early run of the comics and enjoyed those as well. Obviously her powers are different to the source material, but I don't think that is going to affect it too much.

Last edited:

Was a bit caught on the hop with this release, Obi-Wan and Ms Marvel released at the same time got me by surprise. Thought it would be spaced out like a Wednesday/Friday thing. Anyway.

Enjoyed that. Tonally very different, and clearly a coming of age story targetted at a younger demographic. The episode still breezed by, liked the lighter hearted tone and thought the casting was spot on. Still not completely sold on the change of powers, however can see why its been done given Reed Richards and now Kamala Khan introduced within a month or so of each other into the MCU.

A mid credits scene as well, can't recall the last time they've put one in the opening episode of a Disney+ series. Overall, a very nice start. I'm in.

Must be polarising. 40% gave it 10/10 and 22% gave a 1/10 rating.

ms marvel.JPG

I know I'm not the demographic this is aimed at, but I quite liked it. I thought the lead had a great personality and carried the show well, and I liked the fact they were a Pakistani Muslim family. The kid making the gizmos was cool. Yes, it's a teen drama. But I think it might be fun.

View attachment 1420339

There's some less than subtle nuances going on here with why this show is being 'review bombed'. I read a similar thing happened a few months ago with the Netflix series regarding Colin Kaepernick. I tend not to take too much notice of online reviews etc. Its worth checking out regardless.

I have never trusted IMDB's ratings anyway because studios always have people give 10/10 reviews for crap movies to get ppl to watch them. Likewise, in the case of this show, ppl have deliberately given movies/shows 1/10 for whatever reason to drive their ratings down so that ppl won't watch them. I wonder how ppl can be stuffed doing crap like that. There are a lot of nasty folks out there with too much time on their hands.

I have never trusted IMDB's ratings anyway because studios always have people give 10/10 reviews for crap movies to get ppl to watch them. Likewise, in the case of this show, ppl have deliberately given movies/shows 1/10 for whatever reason to drive their ratings down so that ppl won't watch them. I wonder how ppl can be stuffed doing crap like that. There are a lot of nasty folks out there with too much time on their hands.

From what I understand, all it takes is for the IMDB link to be shared in any number of “anti woke” Facebook groups and then it’s on like donkey kong with review bombing/downvoting the show. Can imagine there’s plenty of these toxic forums across the internet and on social media etc. Embarrassing stuff.

From what I understand, all it takes is for the IMDB link to be shared in any number of “anti woke” Facebook groups and then it’s on like donkey kong with review bombing/downvoting the show. Can imagine there’s plenty of these toxic forums across the internet and on social media etc. Embarrassing stuff.
Given the fact that the lead character is a female and Muslim, I can imagine there are a lot of cooked ppl out there frothing at the mouth about it. It's a sad world we live in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I quite like the Indian/Pakistani family in Western society angle, although it has become cliched.

I dropped out of the first episode when it became clear it was a show aimed at tween girls. At that point the Muslim aspect had not been emphasised.

View attachment 1420339

I am not really in the demographic for this show and had little interest in watching any time soon (maybe I am Marvel-ed out) but this is quite pathetic tbh. That thousands of people are on IMDB and probably tens of thousands more on the internet are review-bombing a show they aren't watching because of certain traits of the main character based on a comic book is a sad reflection of society.

It's quite disheartening that I was trying to research it on Reddit etc to figure out whether it's worth a peek anyway and I get bombarded with terms like 'woke' and 'diversity hire'. But then again I shouldn't be surprised because the anonymity of the internet also gives you the licence to be a dick.

“Woke” is one of the most overused words I see online, don’t even know what it means anymore. It gets thrown in so often when something deviates from the straight white male depiction that we’re used to seeing on screen.

“Shoving agendas down our throats” and “forced diversity” (whatever that means), I see this kind of toxic stuff endlessly and it’s beyond tiresome. It’s embarrassing really.

A sad situation.

“Woke” is one of the most overused words I see online, don’t even know what it means anymore. It gets thrown in so often when something deviates from the straight white male depiction that we’re used to seeing on screen.

“Shoving agendas down our throats” and “forced diversity” (whatever that means), I see this kind of toxic stuff endlessly and it’s beyond tiresome. It’s embarrassing really.

A sad situation.

In a way, they're slightly correct, as her only claim to fame originally was that she's a teen, and muslim, there was nothing really remarkable about her outside of those two points, as otherwise inhuman (back when Marvel couldn't have mutants & were removing them) and Hank Pym + Reed power set.

So she is the agenda character to be all "look, we're inclusive, she's female, middle eastern heritage and a Muslim", they're just you know, wrong.

Take Danvers aka Captain. She was as the movie stated, military fighter pilot, so you already have idea of "oh she has to be this sort of person doing these things" she then has run ins with the Kree, the Brood, Immortus' son during one run does the most heinous thing you can do starting with R and that ends with her coming back to the universe so Rogue could go "yoink" and become the X-Man that Gambit thirsted over with Danvers exact power set minus the energy bursts.(not in order obviously) Danvers then basically became a badarse leader type and again due to her history you could go "ah I see why" even if you disagreed with it.

Mar'Vell being mine anyway, she at least earned that title.

Kamala has that entry as "I'm a teen Muslim in America, and a big fan of Marvel like ZOMG Captain Marvel is my fav!" only in the comics, she got grounded by being caught in the terrigen mists, which can keep you normal or turn you into a puddle. Her and Bruno bonded in school because both were immigrants, in this he's the white nerdy tech guy to combat her ZOMGing everywhere about Avengers. And of course she grows by being Spidey and the friendly neighbourhood inhuman tot get whooped, cheered up by her dad and Bruno, and then saved his bro. All before being a hero of any descript

Without that context, she's back to just being the "look at us, she's female, middle eastern and a muslim, aren't we just swell?" character. Which is not endearing at all.

She did not earn that title, she cheapened it.

I hope this gets better, but since my belief is that's a nega-band I don't hold much hope that Marvel will do better with this series though possibly excited if that is indeed true as that means other things are and I might be right for focus....

Was waiting for this when Kamala said " you have to let me go " to Bruno

6cac959a-cd1c-4f02-a94e-3d0857f56a85_text.gif

Episode 3, very very good. Have been lucky enough to have been to over a dozen of Indian weddings, this got me in the feels. By far my favourite weddings/events to go to. The sangeet and mehndi nights in the lead up are all fantastic fun. Great stuff.

Costumes, music, the score, cultural aspects of this series, all top notch.

Couldn’t help but ask myself regarding the Djinn

been trapped here for 100+ years waiting to go home to your dimension - couldn’t you have waited just one more day and not ruined the wedding? :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back