Multiculturalism at our club

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I think one of the greatest things about our game is that it's inclusive of all cultures. Therefore, I'd like to start a thread where we discuss the multicultural aspects of our football club and the most obvious way it manifests itself is through our players and I feel this information can help the fans grow a closer bond to our players. Here's what I could find so far:

AFL list
Jy Farrar - Indigenous
Brayden Fiorini - Italian descent
Pearce Hanley - Born in England, Welsh mother, Irish father
Jarrod Harbrow - Indigenous
Jack Hombsch - German descent
Jack Lukosius - Lithuanian descent
Sean Lemmens - Indigenous
Touk Miller - African-American father
Izak Rankine - Indigenous
Malcolm Rosas Jr - Indigenous
Josh Schoenfeld - German descent
David Swallow - Dutch mother, English father
Luke Towey - born in Ireland

Probably also worth mentioning highly talented academy prospects Alex Davis is of Japanese descent and Austin Harris is of Vietnamese descent.

AFLW list
Lauren Bella - Italian descent
Dee Heslop - Born in New Zealand
Jade Pregelj - Slovenian descent
Tayla Thorn - Indigenous
Kitara Whap-Farrar - Indigenous

Do you guys know of any of our other players who have a multicultural background?

I think one of the greatest things about our game is that it's inclusive of all cultures. Therefore, I'd like to start a thread where we discuss the multicultural aspects of our football club and the most obvious way it manifests itself is through our players and I feel this information can help the fans grow a closer bond to our players. Here's what I could find so far:

AFL list
Jy Farrar - Indigenous
Brayden Fiorini - Italian descent
Pearce Hanley - Born in England, Welsh mother, Irish father
Jarrod Harbrow - Indigenous
Jack Hombsch - German descent
Jack Lukosius - Lithuanian descent
Sean Lemmens - Indigenous
Touk Miller - African-American father
Izak Rankine - Indigenous
Malcolm Rosas Jr - Indigenous
Josh Schoenfeld - German descent
David Swallow - Dutch mother, English father
Luke Towey - born in Ireland

Probably also worth mentioning highly talented academy prospects Alex Davis is of Japanese descent and Austin Harris is of Vietnamese descent.

AFLW list
Lauren Bella - Italian descent
Dee Heslop - Born in New Zealand
Jade Pregelj - Slovenian descent
Tayla Thorn - Indigenous
Kitara Whap-Farrar - Indigenous

Do you guys know of any of our other players who have a multicultural background?
I bet if you would dig deep enough in a family tree every player has a multicultural background.

I bet if you would dig deep enough in a family tree every player has a multicultural background.
That was my first thought. Every player is from somewhere else. Well apart from our indigenous players.

And it’s funny how the Irish/English/Welsh players are included as multicultural, as that’s where “white Australia” is traditionally from.

55% of current Australians were either born overseas, or have at least one parent born overseas.

My family, I’m 3rd generation Australian born. My wife is Vietnamese and an Australian resident, but has no intention of getting citizenship. And our daughter has a passport for both countries.

There are now over 1 million Australians of Chinese decent.

Almost 1 million Australians of Indian decent.

There are more than 2 million Asian students from SEA or China in Australia who aren’t permanent residents.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back