Mumford Tackle...

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Absolute laugh. The side on view showed his head hitting the ground.

You can see the way Mumford chases him around then drops his body weight and (excuse the pun) tips Tippett over his centre of gravity that it's a classic sling tackle.

We take the Sydney medical report on face value and say he wasn't injured, but it's still a reportable offense.

Should've been a fine. Or at least cleared on the basis of insufficient force (even though it wasn't). The AFL's excuse is crap.

Tyrone Time

Cancelled
May 22, 2015
Baltimore
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Glad he got off. Not much in the tackle, jaw injured in a previous incident.

seriously, Bigfooty is laughable at times trying to pin blokes for crap things, yet sooking bhen media do it to their own teams players.

It was a good rugged tackle, nothing more

Post needs more Hawthorn conspiracy rant too it, but otherwise perfect!

I'm happy with the MRPs decisiona and rationale with the exception of his "head didn't hit the ground at any stage".

That simply isn't true - if they argued it didn't hit the ground with any meaningful force I could buy that.

All in all though, considering the elements out of his control (ie Tippett being tripped up) - the right decision is made.

Jun 29, 2006
Nthn Beaches
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
BBGFC and LRGC
Don't know about this one. Makes a mockery of all the guys who have gone for sling tackles in the past. You can interpret footage anyway you like when there is too much grey in a rule.
Either get rid of the rule or apply it consistently. One movement two movement legs taken out arms pinned arms free...its utter crap. Get rid f the rule or simplify it.

If the umps don't even pay a free lick for it, then don't haul the bloke up on a Monday. The easiest free kick to pay yet they don't...not as though a serious sling tackle can be missed near the contest with 3 umps watching.

Good on Tippett for playing out the game with a fractured jaw.
Good on GWS for being too good and being more physical than we anticipated. No more mr nice guy next time though.

MickyG

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
So Mumford sling tackles Ablett in 2010 - two weeks. Mumford sling tackles Tippett - nothing to report. In both cases head hits the ground with about the same force. Is there something I missed here?

La Vache

Premiership Player
Aug 4, 2005
Melb
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
flyers, suns
It Was great to watch one big fella bury the other one. Always adds to a match when one ruck is trying to intimidate the other. Tippett showed serious guts to play it out too. Good finals footy and another spot on from the mrp

Mar 1, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United
It's one of those classic ones where the MRP have all the wriggle room they need to go either way.

If it was in the regular season, I think he would have been suspended.

But it's not the regular season, it's a final, and we see blokes getting off in finals time and time again. While the level-headed legal-minded side of me can't accept that, the footy fan in me gets it.

Would have loved for him to get a week.

I think in the end the correct decision was made. Finals footy gives blokes a little bit of leeway. You'd have to do something absolutely stupid to get rubbed out ala SJ.
If Hawthorn end up making the PF we can hope that Mumford isn't as effective physically because he's second guessing himself so he doesn't risk a suspension that sees him miss the GF. Hopefully the Hawks are in his ear about that and it puts him off. He's such a dangerous player when he's throwing his weight around. Makes all his teammates walk taller.

Apr 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Six decades of domination
If Hawthorn end up making the PF we can hope that Mumford isn't as effective physically because he's second guessing himself so he doesn't risk a suspension that sees him miss the GF. Hopefully the Hawks are in his ear about that and it puts him off. He's such a dangerous player when he's throwing his weight around. Makes all his teammates walk taller.

He has consistently been the most influential player on the ground when we have played against them.

I've never seen our midfield get bullied and look physically scared except for when they come against Mumford. We are very good at limiting the influence of almost every ruckman in the league. I have yet to see us nullify Mumford.

Whoever gets through on Friday night will definitely need to put the thinking caps on in quelling Mumford's influence.

Drezdyn

All Australian
Mar 28, 2012
Western Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
All Northern alliance teams
So Mumford sling tackles Ablett in 2010 - two weeks. Mumford sling tackles Tippett - nothing to report. In both cases head hits the ground with about the same force. Is there something I missed here?
Yes, Mumford didn't sling tackle Tippett.

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney

No no, Micky.

Don't believe your eyes.

His head didn't hit the ground.

Your eyes are lying.

LYING I TELL YOU!!

He has consistently been the most influential player on the ground when we have played against them.

I've never seen our midfield get bullied and look physically scared except for when they come against Mumford. We are very good at limiting the influence of almost every ruckman in the league. I have yet to see us nullify Mumford.

Whoever gets through on Friday night will definitely need to put the thinking caps on in quelling Mumford's influence.
Agreed. Spewin we couldn't get him across to us when he left the Swans once they got Franklin. When McEvoy is playing angry and throwing his weight around like Mumford does we are close to unstoppable. Too bad Big Boy only plays like that in Grand Finals and not every week.

The Dodger

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Looking a the footage slowly Im not buying the tripped up by Whitfiled thing either. Frame be frame he has both feet on the ground until the very end where he tried to kick the ball and Mumford starts the slinging motion. He slings him over a diving Whitfield.

Back