Autopsy Mundy microwaves Richmond by 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Commentary was fine. Just people looking for a bias to feed the us v them agenda. Eddie got excited when Richmond had it because 1) commentators always get on the underdog to make the game more interesting 2) Richmond were finding space in that last quarter and looked like scoring from half back on many occasions - most commentators can see this and commentate accordingly - Freo on the other hand had no space and tried to kick down the wing from back/half back to a contest most times so never really looked like scoring or breaking out. 3) Guys like Reiwoldt and Dusty genuinely are stars and in the big moments do spectacular things - and they looked ready to break out in that last 10 minutes. Sure in the heat of the moment it sounds like barracking but thats just how the game unfolded. That last minute of commentary was great - maybe even a little underwhelming for the Ellis goal and awesome from then on.

C_2H_pqUMAACpEq.jpg

On twitter from InsightLane Short story: Fremantle is on top of the close game ladder, and St. Kilda is second: I wonder how many were from Ross Lyon coached teams?

Could have been even better, I can name Ballas's Poster against WC & Pav poster against Geelong on top of that just off the top of my head.

C_2H_pqUMAACpEq.jpg

On twitter from InsightLane Short story: Fremantle is on top of the close game ladder, and St. Kilda is second: I wonder how many were from Ross Lyon coached teams?

It's interesting - this season makes Lyon's 6th at the Dockers vs 5 at Saint Kilda. I can still vividly remember his early pressers and how there was a vibe of Freo as "them" instead of including himself as a "we." Do you reckon he now sees himself as a Freo man? :)

Could have been even better, I can name Ballas's Poster against WC & Pav poster against Geelong on top of that just off the top of my head.
Do you mean Mundy down in Geelong a couple of years ago, or did Pav have one as well?

That's right. Looked good off the boot then the goal post wobbled (that's my story & I'm sticking with it!).

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/richmo...to-the-fremantle-dockers-20170515-gw5398.html

I have watched the replay of the last 21 secs and watched/listened to many recounts of it on AFL talk shows and the like today but this is the most accurate that I have come across.

It actually gives some insight into the level of planning that goes into a stoppage. Fyfe was pushing Grigg into the contest to free room for Neale, who matched himself up on Martin who is loose defensively. Sandilands tries to tap to the space behind Fyfe but fails but the ball ends up bobbling there any way and then Neale swoops. A thing of beauty and the rest is history.

Neale interview on the radio after the game said the plan they spoke about before the last bounce was to tap it to Fyfe, and Lachie was meant to block/assist
So yes there was a plan and thankfully it didn't work!

The best last 30 seconds i've ever seen, and Freo got what they deserved, they'll be replaying it forever in the annals of AFL
Mundy....well done

Eddie will mention only the Richmond players in a contest. Eg Rance was mentioned when spoiling but up the other end his first thought would be of Riewoldt.

He doesn't mention players if he doesn't know them. I saw a few chains of play when he only mentioned Mundy (lucky Mayne has left) Which makes me think. If Collingwood recruiting is off Eddies calls with the amount of times he mistook Mayne and Mundy maybe the thought they were getting the good one.

And one of those players getting called Mundy was Blakely. I am still not 100% sure his isn't just supporting any Victorian team over others. But surely if you are going to get paid as the play by play commentator you could at least know the players names. Getting Mayne to Collingwood for Billy was gold wasn't it.

It's interesting - this season makes Lyon's 6th at the Dockers vs 5 at Saint Kilda. I can still vividly remember his early pressers and how there was a vibe of Freo as "them" instead of including himself as a "we." Do you reckon he now sees himself as a Freo man? :)
I think Ross would have considered himself a 'Freo man' as soon as he signed on the dotted line. Just the person he is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We got home from Melbourne on Monday (now known as Mundy) and watched the free to air recording we had set before we left. At the game my impression was that the umpiring was ok and I didn't change my mind after watching the TV coverage. There were a few each way that were a bit off but no more or less than normal. Dusty's mark on the line could have gone either way and I think we were a bit lucky to have that Richmond goal disallowed on 3/4 time.

The commentary of Eddie, BT and co was better than anything I have heard from Basil and his mates.

Dump Truck (post 396) makes some valid observations regarding the resilience and never say die attitude of the Freo players who have a record second to none for come from behind wins in 2017. Sure the media are not all over it but we know it's happening and the club knows it happening so just keep it up boys.

Fair enough that 3/4 time goal is being scrutinised by the media but there is glaring silence over the Brady Grey goal. I am happy to be corrected but IT looked like a goal - Didn't a field umpire run up to the goal umpire after that shot to confirm his decision? - the whole thing seemed a little confused. Anyone else think that was goal?

Well every footy commentator in the country has had a go at dissecting the last 90 seconds of our game but they've all spoken from the perspective of how the Tigers lost it. Now admittedly Richmond got it wrong but only a few weeks ago the Dockers committed the unforgivable sin of constantly kicking to the Weags outnumber in that first quarter. Everybody in the country would have known that you can't bomb it into the F50 against the Weags but we did it anyway. A couple of weeks later in a crunch moment the instinctive thing to do when you're streaming towards goal with a few seconds left on the clock would have been to kick to the top of the square. But instead we clustered at FF and left plenty of space to lead into, now fortunately the Tigers manned up, but well done Lachie for kicking to the space and not kicking to the outnumber at the top of the square. The Tigers might have got it wrong but our midfield, half backs, half forwards and deep forwards all got it right.

I'm more concerned with the 4th quarter tbh. Richmond did do poorly but any team can sneak a quick goal from a clean clearance at any stage of any match.
To concede a 30 point lead to a team with 5 goals at 3QT is very difficult indeed...

I'm more concerned with the 4th quarter tbh. Richmond did do poorly but any team can sneak a quick goal from a clean clearance at any stage of any match.
To concede a 30 point lead to a team with 5 goals at 3QT is very difficult indeed...

If you rewatch the match. The first quarter is played at frenetic pace. Really top quality pressure and chains of play. The running the players did in the first quarter was immense. It wouldn't of looked out of place in a final. At some point the toll on the players set in. In the 3/4 for Richmond and in the last quarter for us.

Commentary was fine. Just people looking for a bias to feed the us v them agenda. Eddie got excited when Richmond had it because 1) commentators always get on the underdog to make the game more interesting 2) Richmond were finding space in that last quarter and looked like scoring from half back on many occasions - most commentators can see this and commentate accordingly - Freo on the other hand had no space and tried to kick down the wing from back/half back to a contest most times so never really looked like scoring or breaking out. 3) Guys like Reiwoldt and Dusty genuinely are stars and in the big moments do spectacular things - and they looked ready to break out in that last 10 minutes. Sure in the heat of the moment it sounds like barracking but thats just how the game unfolded. That last minute of commentary was great - maybe even a little underwhelming for the Ellis goal and awesome from then on.

Except Freo was the $3 underdogs for the match.
Also, I can't recall Eddie or most other commentators getting as excited about Freo's "genuine" stars.

The standard of commentary in AFL (TV and radio) is largely horrendous, particularly when compared to EPL/NBA/NFL etc..

Blakely is a gun btw. Like was lyon is doing with him. Using as a tagger to build mid mins then I presume he will be relinquished of the role at some point in the future

If he's gathering high 20s, having an impact and shutting down an opponent, not sure why you'd move him really? Best part is he should grow and improve in the role as it's fairly new to him. Absolute gun.

If you rewatch the match. The first quarter is played at frenetic pace. Really top quality pressure and chains of play. The running the players did in the first quarter was immense. It wouldn't of looked out of place in a final. At some point the toll on the players set in. In the 3/4 for Richmond and in the last quarter for us.

Fair enough. But nevertheless you can lock down a match even when tired. Plenty of big men to kick it to down the wing. Playing higher percentage plays etc.
If it was a 15 point lead like against WB I can understand the fatigue argument but they more than doubled their 3QT score in Q4 which is just crazy. (And it wasn't really the defence that was committing errors - unlike in some other matches this season).

The commentary up to 3/4 time was pretty measured - nothing too over the top either way - we were being praised in the last half of the 3rd as we were kicking away particularly SonSon and Brad. The commentary picked up a gear in the fourth as Richmond got a sniff. Being at the game you could feel Richmond coming home with a wet sail and us just hanging on -they had the run, the ball was bouncing their way, they were starting to kick the goals. We did nothing in that quarter bar the last 20 seconds hence why the call was all Richmond. Eddie was giving us credit for good kicks and marks but there was nothing to get excited about.

I think the biggest issue we have with Eddie's commentary is the requesting or calling of Richmond free kick's when there were none there. Watch the last quarter again. He wanted 50 paid to Rance in the backline for what was a routine attempt at a spoil. He wanted a free paid to Grigg in their 50 on the boundary (just before they took the lead). He was adamant that the free paid to Walters in the 3qtr was not there until he saw the replay and admitted he was given a clip around the ear.

It's the last thing you want to hear when the game is on the line and the commentators are calling for opposition free kicks, whilst the 2 or 3 HTB decisions on Martin aren't even mentioned.

Most professional commentators would say something along the lines of "possible free kick there not given...." and move on but Eddie was adamant and forced the point.

Dockers fans are justified in their feelings toward Eddie's commentary on the w/e. Don't deny them that.

Edit: Forgot to add, quite a few neutrals think the same. Go read the game day thread on the MB and other team's boards, for evidence.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back