Unsolved Murder of Marsha Johnson - Warnbo WA

Remove this Banner Ad

BRE went to Wife No. 1s house at Javanica Ct, Warnbro (stayed for 10 or 15 mins). Thinking that was sometime after April 1997, because he'd met Wife2 on 1 April 1997.

The third occasion she saw the accused was at a bank on the Rockingham foreshore. At this meeting the accused gave Wife1 the papers for the Mazda vehicle she drove. She recalled that once the house was sold, the vehicle loan was paid out and the vehicle transferred into her name. From memory the Fountain Way house was sold early April 1997, so this encounter was probably May/June 1997.

Strange that year another murder occurred in the vicinity. The abduction and homicide of Gerard Ross 14 Oct 1997. Gerard was last seen in Kent St Rockingham heading toward a comic store. Any ideas where the comic store might have been?

Was Bates Pets paradise anywhere near the comic store.
As far as I understand it, the comic book store was a few blocks from where Gerard was staying at 105 Kent St (he went missing from near 99 Kent St). I assume it was in the group of shops I have circled on the map, which is quite an extensive little strip, and may also have been back then.

The latest address I have for Bates Pets Paradise is in the Rockingham Centre, at the bottom of the map. It may have moved. However, as per your post, Edwards first wife met him at a bank on the Rockingham Foreshore, which I presume was in the strip of shops I have circled, where I think the comic book store was.

Attachments

• 6CCF7803-A968-4D74-A4D7-50548BA72408.jpeg
    6CCF7803-A968-4D74-A4D7-50548BA72408.jpeg
    172.6 KB · Views: 141
Last edited by a moderator:
BRE went to Wife No. 1s house at Javanica Ct, Warnbro (stayed for 10 or 15 mins). Thinking that was sometime after April 1997, because he'd met Wife2 on 1 April 1997.

The third occasion she saw the accused was at a bank on the Rockingham foreshore. At this meeting the accused gave Wife1 the papers for the Mazda vehicle she drove. She recalled that once the house was sold, the vehicle loan was paid out and the vehicle transferred into her name. From memory the Fountain Way house was sold early April 1997, so this encounter was probably May/June 1997.

Strange that year another murder occurred in the vicinity. The abduction and homicide of Gerard Ross 14 Oct 1997. Gerard was last seen in Kent St Rockingham heading toward a comic store. Any ideas where the comic store might have been?

Was Bates Pets paradise anywhere near the comic store.

The other thing we might take from this is that on at least two of these occasions Wife 1 saw BRE in Rockingham, it was probably through the week. So unless he was on short holidays or had an RDO/sicky at that time, he could move around quite freely in his Telstra job.

Marsha was killed through the day on a week day and was so was Gerard.

Last edited:

Just on the locations EB lived in Warnbro:

When DF moved, he initially had a place on Monterey Crescent in Warnbro and EB moved in with him there before they moved to Javanica Court. (Monterey Crescent is further away from Grenadier Court.)

EB said that at some point she moved out of her parents' house and started living with DF at a house in Warnbro. When asked about when this was, she said she could not recall specifically but that it would have been early 1996 but she could not recall which month. She recalled that she only took her clothes with her to the first house she lived at in Warnbro. When told in cross-examination that the address of this house was Monterey Crescent, she said that 'rings a bell'. She and DF lived there for a short time and then moved to another house in Javanica Court, Warnbro. EB was not able to have her dog with her at the first house, so the dog stayed at Fountain Way. When she and DF moved into the Javanica Court house the dog come to live with them; she recalled that this was sometime after April or May 1996.

There was the theory that EB telling Edwards she was pregnant may have been the trigger for what happened with Jane. I’m not sold on the emotional trigger theory, but something occurred to me. This theory fell apart because they couldn’t really match up dates, and one of the reasons for this was EB saying that she would have told Edwards she was pregnant in either April or May 1996.

By this point she was living with DF in Warnbro. DF first moved to Monterey Crescent in February 1996 (utility bill from 16 February 1996). EB had moved out to her parents before DF left Fountain Way and then she moved in with DF in Monterey Crescent about 3 weeks later. They then moved to Javanica Court sometime after April/May 1996 based on the EB’s evidence and DF’s evidence.

Marsha was murdered on 1 April 1996.

A few thoughts:

While EB/DF’s place was Monterey Crescent at the time Marsha was killed, which is further away, it isn’t actually that far, and we don’t know where else in Warnbro Marsha frequented. If Edwards was struggling with the end of the relationship, that period of time February-April/May would have been the most likely time for him to have been stalking EB in Warnbro, in my view.

The pregnancy announcement could have been 1 April. EB tells him, he drives over to see or stalk her, and diverts his attention elsewhere.

Also, on the trigger issue, I have a slightly mad thought. What if the triggers weren’t issues in Edwards relationships with women, but rather his relationships with men? It floored me when the evidence was that Edwards seemed more concerned about DF leaving than EB after the kissing incident. Though that could be rubbish, it also appears that DF could have remained a housemate of Edwards even after EB moved out. That whole three way relationship was just weird.

I still think that the reason he didn’t show much emotion or showed weird emotion is because he is a psychopath and that his crimes had a sexual gratification motive not triggered by emotional issues. But perhaps the emotional trigger is being come at from the wrong direction.

So maybe he even confronted DF over the phone sometime around 1 April.

Just on the locations EB lived in Warnbro:

When DF moved, he initially had a place on Monterey Crescent in Warnbro and EB moved in with him there before they moved to Javanica Court. (Monterey Crescent is further away from Grenadier Court.)

EB said that at some point she moved out of her parents' house and started living with DF at a house in Warnbro. When asked about when this was, she said she could not recall specifically but that it would have been early 1996 but she could not recall which month. She recalled that she only took her clothes with her to the first house she lived at in Warnbro. When told in cross-examination that the address of this house was Monterey Crescent, she said that 'rings a bell'. She and DF lived there for a short time and then moved to another house in Javanica Court, Warnbro. EB was not able to have her dog with her at the first house, so the dog stayed at Fountain Way. When she and DF moved into the Javanica Court house the dog come to live with them; she recalled that this was sometime after April or May 1996.
I wonder when MJs family moved into Warnbro. How strange would it be if MJs family had actually moved into the home which DF and E had recently vacated.

Monterey Cres is actually a way, which connects with Bristol St. The properties on Monterey Cres back onto Tweed Cl, and adjoin with Biloxie Pl, Bribie Pl, Broome Pl, and The Avenue.

As far as I understand it, the comic book store was a few blocks from where Gerard was staying at 105 Kent St (he went missing from near 99 Kent St). I assume it was in the group of shops I have circled on the map, which is quite an extensive little strip, and may also have been back then.

The latest address I have for Bates Pets Paradise is in the Rockingham Centre, at the bottom of the map. It may have moved. However, as per your post, Edwards first wife met him at a bank on the Rockingham Foreshore, which I presume was in the strip of shops I have circled, where I think the comic book store was.

In Justice Hall's findings, Bates Pets Paradise is placed at Rockingham Centre and as away from the foreshore. Roughly about 3km from where Gerard was last spotted in Kent Street.

228 At the start of their relationship EB was working as a clerk for a law firm in Perth and the accused was working for Telstra. Because EB did not have a car the accused drove her to work in his van and dropped her off between 8.00 am and 8.30 am and picked her up between 5.00 pm and 5.15 pm. She recalled that she stopped working at the law firm during the time they were living in Huntingdale. At some point she had started working casually in a pet shop in Thornlie on Thursday nights and Saturday mornings, in addition to her work at the law firm. Eventually she left the law firm to work at the pet shop, Bates Pet Paradise in Thornlie, and was then offered a full time position at Bates Pet Paradise at Rockingham City Shopping Centre.67

In Justice Hall's findings, Bates Pets Paradise is placed at Rockingham Centre and as away from the foreshore. Roughly about 3km from where Gerard was last spotted in Kent Street.

228 At the start of their relationship EB was working as a clerk for a law firm in Perth and the accused was working for Telstra. Because EB did not have a car the accused drove her to work in his van and dropped her off between 8.00 am and 8.30 am and picked her up between 5.00 pm and 5.15 pm. She recalled that she stopped working at the law firm during the time they were living in Huntingdale. At some point she had started working casually in a pet shop in Thornlie on Thursday nights and Saturday mornings, in addition to her work at the law firm. Eventually she left the law firm to work at the pet shop, Bates Pet Paradise in Thornlie, and was then offered a full time position at Bates Pet Paradise at Rockingham City Shopping Centre.67
Yes, I wondered if it had previously been at the foreshore years ago. Regardless, the bank that he and EB met at appears to have been in the foreshore shops near where the comic book store would have been.

After the verdict of the CSKs trial there was mention BRE was going to be spoken to about other matters. I can't find what Chris Dawson actually said.

Perhaps incidents within Warnbro and Rockingham might be something they’ll speak to BRE about, given two homicides occurred within the time period BREs first wife lived in Warnbro and also worked at Rockingham.

Could it be possible the media were requested to remove information about MJ, and that’s why there’s nothing on the internet.

The address is interesting in relation to what we know about Marsha. We know she dropped her kids of at daycare and preschool in the morning.
Koorana Primary School is very close to Javanica Crt and existed in 1989 going by P&C records.
The only phone listing for a Johnson specifically in Warnbro is Grenadier Crt which is on the other side of Warnbro Sound Ave from Javanica Crt but in an almost direct line to the school.

I am still working on finding a daycare centre that existed in Warnbro in 1990s. The 3 I know of close to that area were not established until after 2000.

Not sure if any of this has any relevance but it gives some info to work with at least.

I used to take my son to a pre-school/kindy at the Warnbro Family and Community Centre on Moreton Crescent Warnbro. He was aged 3 - 4 so that would make it 1994 onwards. However when I checked the Facebook page for the centre it says it was founded in 2002 but I am 100% sure that my son was there as early as 1994. At that time there were other groups using the centre so it’s another possible daycare.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I used to take my son to a pre-school/kindy at the Warnbro Family and Community Centre on Moreton Crescent Warnbro. He was aged 3 - 4 so that would make it 1994 onwards. However when I checked the Facebook page for the centre it says it was founded in 2002 but I am 100% sure that my son was there as early as 1994. At that time there were other groups using the centre so it’s another possible daycare.

Thanks for the information, I am now wondering if perhaps some of the post-2000 founded centres were small pre-existing centres taken over by a larger group and renamed.

Thank you Kikic,

Excellent feedback. Can you remember if the pre-school/kindy at Moreton Cres was a half or full day? Just that, Marsha had dropped her son off at the pre-school prior to 9am and wasn't there to pick him up in the afternoon. From the little information we have it sounded like it was a full day pre-school.

(Note: Moreton Cres is within close proximity of Monterey Cres)

Most young mums spend the majority of time caring for their family. Mainly time spent inside with cooking, dishes, making beds, washing and ironing etc. They’re really busy and in general only pop out the front to collect mail, take rubbish out and weekly bins etc – you get the gist.

I wonder if MJ had popped out the front when a contractor or tradesman had struck up a conversation and asked to use the toilet. Strange she was found deceased in the bathroom. It would seem MJ let the perpetrator in the house, because there hasn’t been mention of a struggle, or break and enter.

During that time, houses within Warnbro would have been under construction, putting tradesmen within the vicinity.

What strikes me as interesting is that Marsha saw her mother at 9am yet phoned her at 12.38pm. Marsha phoned from her own house landline. I wonder if MJ had made the phone call to check if the landline was working.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank you Kikic,

Excellent feedback. Can you remember if the pre-school/kindy at Moreton Cres was a half or full day? Just that, Marsha had dropped her son off at the pre-school prior to 9am and wasn't there to pick him up in the afternoon. From the little information we have it sounded like it was a full day pre-school.

(Note: Moreton Cres is within close proximity of Monterey Cres)

Thanks, I’m leaning towards it being a couple of full days a week per class as I remember having to supply a pillow so they could have a little nap during quiet time. I’ve looked at home for further information from the time as I keep absolutely everything but it must be all stored away.

I asked Bret Christian in the 'hey Bret' thread if he had anything on Marsha Johnson, information being so thin but there was nothing in his subsequent book on the Claremont murders. Weird, given he did make mention of other similar crimes around the time BRE was active.

Anyway, I will keep an eye out for information on this and the Gerard Ross case. Something might give.

It's suss how evey little info there is about this online.
I thought that too, but most newspapers didn't start digitising til the early 2000's. I checked The West on Way Back Machine but nothing showing pre Feb 2001. The Battye Library in Perth has copies of the local Sound Telegraph paper from 1996 so it would be great to check those for further information.

I thought that too, but most newspapers didn't start digitising til the early 2000's. I checked The West on Way Back Machine but nothing showing pre Feb 2001. The Battye Library in Perth has copies of the local Sound Telegraph paper from 1996 so it would be great to check those for further information.

Do we have to pay to check those out ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back