Current murder of Melbourne comedian Eurydice Dixon after body found in park

Remove this Banner Ad

And what do we think that will be?

Pleads guilty, first offence... the bastard will get it reduced, whatever he gets.

First offence with a guilty plea and they’re setting up for a mental health angle with the whole autism thing.

Sadly I don’t think it will be anywhere near what the following her for 5km before committing the crime probably deserves.

First offence with a guilty plea and they’re setting up for a mental health angle with the whole autism thing.

Sadly I don’t think it will be anywhere near what the following her for 5km before committing the crime probably deserves.

I'm terrified to think that man will be out what- when he's about 40 years old, as he is 19 atm?

I'm terrified to think that man will be out what- when he's about 40 years old, as he is 19 atm?

If he serves 20ish years I’d say that’s actually not a bad outcome, I suspect they’ll be angling for a lot less, though the amount of media scrutiny on the case might limit any deals that will be offered.

The only good thing to come out of it was pleading guilty to all charges and saving her family from having to hear the wrenching facts of the case. Nothing will ever change what happened, the best outcome is that an appropriate length of time is administered as a attitude adjustment.

The most likely reality though is that he's never going to be able to integrate with normal life after such an unforgiving act.

The only good thing to come out of it was pleading guilty to all charges and saving her family from having to hear the wrenching facts of the case. Nothing will ever change what happened, the best outcome is that an appropriate length of time is administered as a attitude adjustment.

The most likely reality though is that he's never going to be able to integrate with normal life after such an unforgiving act.

In court yes, but surely they would know this from the police anyway.

I reckon I'd want to know if I was in that situation, god forbid.

I doubt having autism will lessen the sentence, the judge will be looking at intent and whether it can be shown he knew what he was doing.

People often misunderstand the use of mental illness defence, it isn't used to say the person was insane, it is used to put a question mark next to was the crime premeditated and was the person of guilty mind, that is why his behavior of following the victim 5k will be considered, not so much for the length of sentence but because it showed intent.

As the judge said in last week's 4corners, the judge is focused on the crime, not the victim and there are a number of factors that go into a judgement.

My understanding of autism is that it affects emotions and the way they relate to others, and that will be part of why he committed the crime, so IMO he'll get a sentence reduction (if he's autistic).

My understanding of autism is that it affects emotions and the way they relate to others, and that will be part of why he committed the crime, so IMO he'll get a sentence reduction (if he's autistic).

He also turned himself in quite quickly, that may be taken into consideration at sentencing I think. Without priors the police might still be looking for him had he not.

He also turned himself in quite quickly, that may be taken into consideration at sentencing I think. Without priors the police might still be looking for him had he not.

Really? There was a tonne of CCTV footage- was not a matter of "if" but when.

So I fail to consider the fact he turned himself in as some kind of good thing he did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Under the law you get a discount if you plead guilty. So will be Life with some form of minimum.

Aggravating factor for me is how far Eurydice was followed. That is a bloody long walk and to follow someone all that way signals a form of premeditation rather than simply spur of the moment/crime of passion etc.

Don't know about the Autism thing. Guessing someone will testify at sentence but never thought having autism makes someone prone to murder.

Either way highly doubt he will ever be released. (Public outcry will mean laws will be passed in the future Julian Knight and Craig Minogue if he ever applies for parole).

Under the law you get a discount if you plead guilty. So will be Life with some form of minimum.

Aggravating factor for me is how far Eurydice was followed. That is a bloody long walk and to follow someone all that way signals a form of premeditation rather than simply spur of the moment/crime of passion etc.

Don't know about the Autism thing. Guessing someone will testify at sentence but never thought having autism makes someone prone to murder.

Either way highly doubt he will ever be released

:think:

Really? There was a tonne of CCTV footage- was not a matter of "if" but when.

So I fail to consider the fact he turned himself in as some kind of good thing he did.

I only saw the fuzzy CCTV. His lawyer will try whatever he can I think, whether the judge takes any of it into consideration on sentencing I could only guess at.

Well I disagree re. that being a not a bad outcome. Disagree entirely.

That bastard better get some serious rehabilitation in there, so he'll just come out and do it again.

I'm talking 20ish years of actual time served, not a 20 year sentence with a shorter parole period. You forget that the whole purpose of the justice system hinges on not just locking (most) people away forever, as much as "* him, throw away the key and let him die in there" seems fun, there's a reason we don't just have capital punishment anymore.

On the scale of offenders; is this individual at the same level as a Julian Knight, Craig Minogue or Martin Bryant? No he's not. So will they allow him to be released? Potentially, it largely depends on how much people care about it still in 20 or so years.

You said he would get a minimum.. then said he would never be released?

He explains that further on; the parole requests can be denied, and laws changed / amended retroactively the way they have been with Julian Knight due to public outcry.

I wish we did have the death penalty. /nonotgettingintoheredw

There are some people and crimes that are so far beyond rehabilitation that there is no hope they'll ever be released; e.g. Julian Knight and the changes to law they've made to keep him locked up.

You said he would get a minimum.. then said he would never be released?

Our justice/legal system focuses the on the restorative approach and will be more interested in the prospects of rehabilitation and healing. We’ve swayed from harsh punitive measures for young offenders, even repeat offenders. He will have to have jail time based on the seriousness of the crime, but I very much doubt that sentencing will impose the harshest penalties.

I’d love to know more about him, hear why he did it. What his thought process was in the days leading up to the attach, his thoughts on the day, and his thoughts now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back