freddy mercury

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Jacksonville
Nor do I. But our opinions didn't count here, did they? :(
Drive your car into a tree, just leave your childrens and other peoples lives out of it. Taking your own life is incredibly selfish, taking your children's lives with yours, thats ****ed.

There haven't been many studies done on suicide by self stabbing because it's so rare. Of all suicide attempts only 1 - 3% are by self stabbing and then, they rarely result in actual death.

No suicide note either it seems.

Noted the police have been careful to state what they have is a preliminary finding, the coroner's going to have to try and figure out exactly what happened.

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
There haven't been many studies done on suicide by self stabbing because it's so rare. Of all suicide attempts only 1 - 3% are by self stabbing and then, they rarely result in actual death.

Noted the police have been careful to state what they have is a preliminary finding, the coroner's going to have to try and figure out exactly what happened.
yeah I'm surprised everyone on here is taking the Police's preliminary opinion at face value. I was getting the vibe that they are happy for the husband to go on his way, but will be keeping a close eye on him.

The police and media are being super weird with this one...

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong

The one in Qld who torched his estranged wife and kids in a car stabbed himself.

Jan 11, 2009
melb
AFL Club
Essendon
yeah I'm surprised everyone on here is taking the Police's preliminary opinion at face value. I was getting the vibe that they are happy for the husband to go on his way, but will be keeping a close eye on him.

whys that? police have confirmed it was the mother? they don't release all info but from the start it appeared that way, didnt handcuff him etc.
the father was likely at work or out etc and alibi confirmed, there is no doubt at all the mother did it.

The one in Qld who torched his estranged wife and kids in a car stabbed himself.

Can't recall another aside from that but he was red flagging for quite a while before he launched. There doesn't seem to be anything like that here, not yet anyway.

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
whys that? police have confirmed it was the mother? they don't release all info but from the start it appeared that way, didnt handcuff him etc.
the father was likely at work or out etc and alibi confirmed, there is no doubt at all the mother did it.
yeah maybe it's just my innate biases. I don't think the cops have confirmed anything from these comments:
'We just need to understand the facts, and unfortunately they're not known to us but will be in the fullness of time,' he said. 'We have a long way to go before we can actually understand and appreciate what occurred.'

It must have been a baffling crime scene, and if what was said in this thread above, that it was apparently a self-stabbing without suicide note, you can understand the police comments.

Sep 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Denver, MVFC

Forensics can almost always distinguish self-inflicted stab wounds from those caused by an attacker.

FWIW, offenders don't always get handcuffed. A risk assessment is sometimes done. It depends on the Police officer(s) involved, depends on the situation, etc.

Jan 11, 2009
melb
AFL Club
Essendon
FWIW, offenders don't always get handcuffed. A risk assessment is sometimes done. It depends on the Police officer(s) involved, depends on the situation, etc.
Understand that but was replying to a guy who was saying the husband could still be the killer, and i would think if police suspected you just murdered 4 people you would be handcuffed.

I remember in the days following that there were opinion pieces everywhere about stopping domestic violence, gendered violence etc.

This incident: crickets.

That might be because there is no history of domestic or gendered violence to be seen here yet! None. Nobody understands what happened or why.

The man who torched his family in front of witnesses on a public street had a very troubled and documented history.

May 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Brooklyn Nets, New York Jets
That might be because there is no history of domestic or gendered violence to be seen here yet! None. Nobody understands what happened or why.

The man who torched his family in front of witnesses on a public street had a very troubled and documented history.

Is there a particular reason you seem to be jumping on any opinion that remotely aligns with a female being accused of perpetrating a horrific crime and it being spoken of accordingly?

Women do s**t things too you know and the police have said as much so far

Is there a particular reason you seem to be jumping on any opinion that remotely aligns with a female being accused of perpetrating a horrific crime and it being spoken of accordingly?

Women do sh*t things too you know and the police have said as much so far

Is there any particular reason you feel the need to weigh in here with this s**t? When have I ever said or implied women don't do s**t things?

I'll be stepping out of this discussion. I'm really disappointed with the turn it's taken. Rather than expressions of support for the man left behind or an exploration of why she might have done what she did and what we could do better to spot the signs, I'm seeing posters in here I've never seen before seeming to want to exploit it.

Thanks _Mike_

May 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Brooklyn Nets, New York Jets
I'll be stepping out of this discussion. I'm really disappointed with the turn it's taken. Rather than expressions of support for the man left behind or an exploration of why she might have done what she did and what we could do better to spot the signs, I'm seeing posters in here I've never seen before seeming to want to exploit it.

Thanks _Mike_

What an absolute copout. It is a 100% legitimate discussion point and for whatever reason you have you aren't willing to allow people to discuss the gender prejudice in reporting violent crimes committed by women which is 100% live and real in this case. Any person can see it, it is relevant to the case and a valid discussion point.

What an absolute copout. It is a 100% legitimate discussion point and for whatever reason you have you aren't willing to allow people to discuss the gender prejudice in reporting violent crimes committed by women

Its relevant to the case and your holier than thou rant is complete unjustified.

Ahhhhh bullshit.

You couldn't address the point of my post or the possible truth in it but went somewhere else that had no basis whatsoever.

It's Sunday and I'd like to have an easy one. The users on this site are nearly 90% men and I'm not going to pretend I fully understand or appreciate how you all might feel nor am I inclined towards being overwhelmed by a discussion on media / gender bias that in my opinion, isn't a real thing.

Go for it. Have a great day.

Back