Premiership Player
Jan 28, 2001
at home :)
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
Stevo for club champion in 2002!

The boys are off to Murray Bridge this weekend to tackle Geelong. Fitzy is looking to get his first crack at the footy in a Crows jumper which is excellent, I hope all goes well for him! My boy Stevo is also to get some real match time (at his current pace I reckon I could catch him!, that would get him moving!;) )

k
xx

oh yes I do!

I know exactly what I would do with him if I caught him! :D Mind you this is a family site, so I don't think I can let you know what it is but............lets just say I would whip him into shape in no time!;)

k
xx

Anyone going to Murray Bridge to watch the game? Stevo needs be given most of the game @ CHF & Hewitt @ CHB to get settle down the spine with some match practice. Also, what is the story with a shoot-out between Biglands & Marsh for the back-up ruckman? Have the Crows hierachy being watching Marsh lately, as he is nowhere near Biglands IMO.

squads for Murray Bridge game:

Adelaide: 6 - Ben Nelson 7 - Nigel Smart 8 - Nathan Bassett 9 - Tyson Edwards 10 - Matthew Bode 11 - Michael Doughty 15 - Ryan Fitzgerald 17 - Scott Welsh 18 - Graham Johncock 19 - Mark Stevens 20 - Tyson Stenglein 22 - Ian Perrie 23 - Andrew McLeod 24 - Brett Burton 25 - Bryan Beinke 26 - Mark Bickley 27 - Daniel Schell 28 - Kane Johnson 31 - Ben Marsh 32 - Mark Ricciuto (Captain) 34 - Ben Hart 35 - Rhett Biglands 36 - Simon Goodwin

Geelong: 1 - Steven King 2 - Tom Harley 3 - James Bartel 7 - Ben Graham 8 - Ronnie Burns 9 - James Kelly 10 - Marc Woolnough 11 - Joel Corey 12 - Brad Sholl 14 - David Clarke 15 - Peter Riccardi 17 - Tim McGrath 18 - Kent Kingsley 19 - Mitchell White 21 - Cameron Mooney 23 - Daniel Foster 24 - Aaron Lord 25 - Brent Grgic 29 - Gary Ablett 30 - Matthew Scarlett 31 - David Mensch 34 - James Rahilly 38 - Andrew Carrazzo 39 - Darren Milburn 42 - Paul Chambers 44 - Corey Enright 45 - Cameron Ling

Very short squad from AFC. I wonder if Perrie will start CHF or CHB?

Hewitt has not been listed in the squad. I checked todays paper to see the squads for tonights trial matches at Norwood Oval and I don't recall seeing his name in that list either. Massie and Gags should be playing for the legs tonight. Good to see Johncock in and Crowell out.

Will the match be broadcast on 5AA tomorrow?

cheers

Yep, from 12:30 pm tomorrow on 5AA.

As for the ruck contest, I think Biglands hardly played in there in the Wizard Cup and Marsh seems to prefered there when Clarke isn't on the ground. I must admit on occasions Marsh has shown a bit this year, however he can be rather inept at times..... Biglands should get a decent go in the centre instead of being tossed around between CHF, CHB and the bench.

Should be an good game to watch tomorrow, Geelong have a reasonable side in, fit and firing and will be a good test for us, though I expect most of our guns to rest for considerable portions of the match. It'd be good to see Ablett Junior too!

Thanks Ant!

here is some more interesting news regarding today's match:

Mickan deputises for Ayres
Alan Shiell
afc.com.au
4:35:07 PM Fri 15 March, 2002

Mark Mickan, one of Adelaide’s assistant coaches, will be in charge of the Crows against Geelong in the practice match at Murray Bridge tomorrow.

Senior coach Gary Ayres will take a back seat to study the form of his players rather than be involved in the hurly burly of match movements.

“I feel this is an ideal opportunity for me to sit back and study each player’s input to the team to make sure we pick the best-available in-form players for round one (against the Western Bulldogs at Colonial Stadium on March 31),” Ayres said.

“In addition, it gives a great development opportunity to Mark, who has already proven himself to be a more-than-competent coach at SANFL level.”

Mickan won Adelaide’s club champion award in the club’s first AFL season (1991).

Adelaide has included Ryan Fitzgerald, Ian Perrie and Graham Johncock in a squad of 23 for tomorrow’s match, which starts at Johnstone Park at 1pm, and has omitted Matthew Clarke (ankle), Andrew Crowell and rookies Ben Rutten and Nathan Bock from the squad of 24 that lost to Richmond in last Friday night’s Wizard Home Loans Cup semi-final at Colonial Stadium.

Half-Time
Adelaide 7-11 53 pts
Cats 2-3 15 pts

Fitzgerald came on in the 2nd quarter for Beinke & kicked 2 goals. According to 5AA, Johncock has been impressive. Perrie playing @ CHB, Stevo @ CHF. Biglands has taken some good marks in ruck, but still needs to improve his disposal. As I mentioned on the main board, Geelong will struggle with their inexperienced midfielders.

5AA half time summary: Impressed with Crow's forward options - Fitzgerald's strong marks, Welsh who should be on the gound more. Schell has been quiet. Sounds like Stevo needs the run (ie. Grant may struggle if he plays in round 1). Game plan has been more direct to goal-square.

Birdman has looked better off the wing. Bickley continuing his good pre-season form. McDermott can't believe how good his kicking is. He has also been impressed with Biglands (who should be no. 1 ruck in his opinion), but has correctly criticised Marsh's lack of upper body development for a ruckman.

But not sure how much we can take out of it with the Geelong playing ordinary footy. They seem to lack confidence.

Final Score
Crows 10-14 74 pts
Cats 7-6 48 pts

Goals:
Bode 4
Fitzy 2
Bickley, Burton, Welsh & Nelson

2nd half sounded like a bit of a fizzer. Geelong were missing Graham, White & Burns, which is why they probably lacked confidence going forward.

McDermott can't believe how good his kicking is. He has also been impressed with Biglands (who should be no. 1 ruck in his opinion), but has correctly criticised Marsh's lack of upper body development for a ruckman.
[/B]

Fair dinkum, I cringe everytime I hear that McDermott is going to call a Crows game. What a whiny old shelia he's turned out to be! Has a go at us at every oppourtunity...to say today that we have'nt acheived anything in the pre season was just ridiculous. The way he reacted after Phil Harper left when Perrie was announced CHB was shocking. If Hewitt is out of favour for whatever reason, Ian is'nt a bad choice there. Not our best option, but I think we recruited him as a backman to start with (I could be wrong there) and he is a good mark and provides a contest.

Ordinary game from the sound of it, but it was good to hear that midfield was still going along nicely (in the first half at least). Our conversion rate was not good, but it was a good chance for Stiffy and Fitzy to show their stuff.

Bring on Round 1!

Jerome

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeahh, McDemott is at his winging best. His statement about not achieving anything in the preseason was stupid. No doubt most of our wins have been been against under-strength teams, but it has been our system & more direct game plan that has been the pleasing aspect (more than the wins themselves). The Tigers game has been our only poor game & the 5-day break may of been a factor as they looked flat that night (with all the fumbling & McLeod over-running th ball wont happen again in 2002).

Bode looks like he is going to add to our midfield depth with Roo, Bunji, Goody, Sugar, Edwards & Birdman. Not sure how Doughty played today & Gallagher is still to come back.

Fitzy showed good signs & if he stands up to support Stevens, we will get enough from flanks with Welsh, Beinke, Schell, Perrie, etc. The key to the forward line will be an even contribtion from our forwards.

Out backline will usually hold its own, so I cannot see why we can't improve on last year & make the eight again (even if McDermott disagrees).

Yep, Riccardi said Burns, Graham, Milburn, White were all rested and you decided to give the younger blokes a go.

Hard to know what to take out of the game, considering the side Geelong put on the park today and the poor style of play for the majority of the match. However, as mentioned, Fitzy, Johncock and Bode all played well and are positives when looking towards Round 1 and beyond.

As for McDermott and Mini McDermott (Aiston, who had his head a fair way up Chris' arse), they were very poor I felt....it's not that they're not entitled to an opinion or that they can't make a prediction, but they seemed very negative all day towards the Crows, which I felt was rather unwarranted. Wildy was good, he didn't get carried away, and felt the Crows could comfortably make the 8 or miss it just as easily, a fair assessment. Oh well, we all know how many of Macca's predictions came through last year.

Originally posted by Catman
I was just wondering whether any of you could tell me whether we suffered any injuries or had players reported as I can't find any other details about the match on the net.

Thanks.

From the AFL website - copy and paste job!

ADELAIDE 4.6 7.11 9.12 10.14 (74)
GEELONG 0.1 2.3 3.4 7.6 (48)
Goals: Adelaide: M Bode 4 B Nelson R Fitzgerald S Welsh M Stevens B Burton M Bickley.
Geelong: C Mooney 2 P Riccardi K Kingsley B Grgic D Johnson C Enright.
Best: Adelaide: M Bode N Smart N Bassett M Stevens T Stenglein B Hart.
Geelong: B Sholl C Ling C Enright C Mooney P Ricardi G Ablett.
Injuries: Adelaide: B Beinke (hamstring). Geelong: Nil.
Reports: Nil.
Umpires: D Woodcock, C Rowston, M Avon.
Crowd: about 4000 at Johnstone Park, Murray Bridge

Scrappy win yestaerday however beats losing.

McDermott - If I here him call any games this year I will changing to 5AN for that game. He has a chip on his shoulder the size of Ayers Rock. What is it with him , always negative and rarely positive. Absolutely can't stand him, makes Wildy look like a saint...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back