Murray Darling catchment management incompetence

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a bit scary to think the future of parts of your environment good hinge on a foreign company acting responsibly, and when required, putting the environment ahead of profit.
Yes and no. Cubbie is but one part of a very large puzzle. The majority of the water is taken/stolen/ stored well before it gets to Cubbie.

So its the State of Q in the gun, the State Govt has the levers not the Feds?
That's a pretty fair comment, but I'd say that the NSW gov't is in the gun as well.
A hell of a lot of water runs west along that border.
However, it's being drawn from both sides.
But yeah, further north into the mid top end of the MD basin has a lot of questions to answer as well.

The MDBA attempts the straight bat approach in response to the SA Royal Commission.

"The MDBA said it relied on the Federal Government's legal advice and fiercely rejected claims it had acted improperly.
It said it was committed to improving transparency.
"The fact that the South Australian royal commission report puts forward a different legal opinion on some aspects is not conclusive. It is simply a different opinion," the MDBA said.
"The commission report also asserts maladministration by the MDBA but contains no specific evidence for such serious accusations. We reject these claims."

That's just great guys, but it was also the Federal Governments legal advice which prevented any current MDBA member or associated bureaucrat from testifying for fear of opening up Pandora's Box.

More bullshit grist for the mill.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02...thority-responds-to-royal-commission/10828512

I did warn earlier in this thread of things which had happened that hadn't reached the public, yet. And I was deliberately careful because s**t was really going to hit the fan.
And here we are.
$80 million paid for overland flow water, which is flood water, which in that country won't be harvested because it is not needed at that time, but still flows down the rivers to places like Cubbie Stn etc who can then harvest it for free, yet taxpayers have paid an extraordinary amount of money for, essentially, NOTHING.

There is yet another call for a Royal Commission, which I 100% endorse, but it's reach must be far, FAR wider than this particular transaction.
It must go across the entire basin, and beyond.
You watch how much s**t will come out of this if a RC is actually conducted.

And people have the hide to label me, and so many other farmers, as rusted on National voters!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it just incompetence, or are people benefiting who shouldn’t be?

Of course people/companies are benefiting who shouldn't be.
On just one single occasion we are seeing 'imaginary' water which that farm couldn't even utilise, being 'bought', by taxpayers money for the benefit of no-one, but the company who could then send the profits to the Cayman Islands...tax free.
That is is the entire issue at hand.
People think or are persuaded to believe, that farmers/rural people are bastards.
Farmers are using all the water!!!!
We're sitting her saying...
Where has the water gone??
Yet, despite the drought it is still in SOME rivers but it can't be used
WTF is going on?
Yes, there is a drought, and it's terrible, absolutely bloody terrible. I'm part of it.
But your average farmer didn't take this water, didn't use this water, didn't buy this water!

The licence to 'take' it was being used before any water even happened to flow, and then negates anyone from using it it when it does.
It's a very complex issue, however the complexity is, hopefully, now being unravelled.

Last edited:
Of course people/companies are benefiting who shouldn't be.
On just one single occasion we are seeing 'imaginary' water which that farm couldn't even utilise, being 'bought', by taxpayers money for the benefit of no-one, but the company who could then send the profits to the Cayman Islands...tax free.
That is is the entire issue at hand.
People think or are persuaded to believe, that farmers/rural people are bastards.
Farmers are using all the water!!!!
We're sitting her saying...
Where has the water gone??
Yet, despite the drought it is still in SOME rivers but it can't be used
WTF is going on?
Yes, there is a drought, and it's terrible, absolutely bloody terrible. I'm part of it.
But your average farmer didn't take this water, didn't use this water, didn't buy this water!

The licence to 'take' it was being used before any water even happened to flow, and then negates anyone from using it it.
It's a very complex issue, however the complexity is, hopefully, now being unravelled.
Thanks for this response but I should have been more clear - are govt officials financially benefiting from this either directly or indirectly?

I've been following parts of the #watergate story since Ronnie Salt tweeted it 2 weeks ago. At this time, it's not linked specifically to the Murray Darling catchment, but is an associated water buyback issue, whereby public monies ended up in a Cayman Island tax haven.

If you search #watergate on social media, you should get the hit.

Here's BJ's trainwreck interview from earlier tonight that's going viral - utterly golden :)

It's being hit so hard that there are bandwidth issues atm, so you might need to come back to it later.

https://radio.abc.net.au/search?service_guid=RN-rnd-20190422-11036040

Last edited:
Thanks for this response but I should have been more clear - are govt officials financially benefiting from this either directly or indirectly?
Publicly elected politicians and employed Gov't officials are two very different things, as I'm sure you know.
But not in this case IMO.
I would be extremely confident that BOTH would be monumentally nervous if a RC was called for and approved.

11 Independent candidates have so far publicly called for immediate action and more investigation of the #watergate issue, among them current New England MP Tony Windsor.

Given that Angus Taylor (current Energy Minister) set his lawyers loose on Twitter a week ago over the current allegations, you'd have to read the reports and make up your own mind - nothing at this stage is proven, since it hasn't been brought before any judicial body, so your question can't really be answered at this time.

But...when you start sending out the lawyers to tell journalists to stop tweeting about it and get a thread removed (which has since been restored) on social media, there has to be a reason why.

Relayed by the Hun (I'm paywalled):

The company at the centre of a controversial multimillion-dollar water buyback deal donated $55,000 to the Liberal Party before the 2013 election.

And said company had Angus Taylor (now Energy Minister, elected to the House of Reps in 2013) listed as a director.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back