Murray FL 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some interesting games this week with the former PDFL sides all coming up against MFL sides.
Deni vs Barooga 53 points Barooga too strong.
Rumba vs Echuca 9 points Should be a great game Rumba at home just.
Moama vs Finley 10 points Moama could bounce back but Finley for me in a close one.
Cobram vs Shepp East 27 points Cobram look to be fairly strong this year with Shepp beating both PDFL sides so far. This game should give us an indication on the PDFL sides strength.
Tongala vs Katandra 32 points it's a big jump from one win last year in the PDFL for the Kats
Tungamah vs Mul 22 points it'll be interesting as they've over the years had plenty of players move between the two clubs. Mul for me.
Numurkah vs Nathalia 40 points can anyone stop the Nathalia juggernaut[/QUOTE]

Any tips for the weekend? After getting all 7 last week this week looks a little harder and only 6 games.

Echuca vs Congupna 13 points Echuca need a win to get their season started, at home they should be winning.
Mulwala vs Numurkah 23 points At home Mul will be hard to beat but the Blues for me.
Shepp East vs Rumba 35 points Not far to travel for Rumba and should get the points.
Tongala vs Barooga 81 points Tonny are better at home but can't see them matching Barooga.
Tungamah vs Cobram 47 points the Tigers won't be the first MFL team losing to a PDFL side
Katandra vs Deni 13 points a big road trip for the struggling Rams, they may well lose this game although I think they can get their first win.

Some interesting games this week with the former PDFL sides all coming up against MFL sides.
Deni vs Barooga 53 points Barooga too strong.
Rumba vs Echuca 9 points Should be a great game Rumba at home just.
Moama vs Finley 10 points Moama could bounce back but Finley for me in a close one.
Cobram vs Shepp East 27 points Cobram look to be fairly strong this year with Shepp beating both PDFL sides so far. This game should give us an indication on the PDFL sides strength.
Tongala vs Katandra 32 points it's a big jump from one win last year in the PDFL for the Kats
Tungamah vs Mul 22 points it'll be interesting as they've over the years had plenty of players move between the two clubs. Mul for me.
Numurkah vs Nathalia 40 points can anyone stop the Nathalia juggernaut

Any tips for the weekend? After getting all 7 last week this week looks a little harder and only 6 games.

Echuca vs Congupna 13 points Echuca need a win to get their season started, at home they should be winning.
Mulwala vs Numurkah 23 points At home Mul will be hard to beat but the Blues for me.
Shepp East vs Rumba 35 points Not far to travel for Rumba and should get the points.
Tongala vs Barooga 81 points Tonny are better at home but can't see them matching Barooga.
Tungamah vs Cobram 47 points the Tigers won't be the first MFL team losing to a PDFL side
Katandra vs Deni 13 points a big road trip for the struggling Rams, they may well lose this game although I think they can get their first win.[/QUOTE]
I reckon Katandra can sneak over the line if they can keep Morris in check.

Allegations of racial vilification from shepp east player towards young Rumbalara player on the weekend in the 4th quarter.
Reliable scource tells me that the player admitted to the allegations.

Wouldnt think the league would be to happy this has happened particularly from one of the new clubs who have joined.

bit quiet on here.... Did cobram take tunga too lightly and play extra thirds kids or were they forced inclusions?

From all reports Cobram has a fairly young side and great wins and poor losses come with the territory. Tungamah may prove to be the best of the 3 new sides despite losing to Shepp early. Some interesting games this week.

Barooga vs Nathalia 13 points should be a ripper game.
Deni vs Tongala 22 points Deni should be better at home but Tonny for me.
Katandra vs Moama 55 points Moama need to bank some points they shouldn't drop this.
Congupna vs Shepp East 25 points Congupna are much better at home.
Rumbalara vs Tungamah 11 points Can Saunders do it again? Rumba in a close one.
Numurkah vs Finley 7 points should be a ripper game.

Allegations of racial vilification from shepp east player towards young Rumbalara player on the weekend in the 4th quarter.
Reliable scource tells me that the player admitted to the allegations.

Wouldnt think the league would be to happy this has happened particularly from one of the new clubs who have joined.
Was an under 14 kid and both clubs have sorted it out..

Just curious - with six rounds gone and the interleague bye next week - what is the general feeling/opinions now about the former PDFNL clubs in the league?

Do people feel they are going better or worse than expected?

Has the revamped draw thrown up unexpected challenges or is everyone feeling settled with it now?

With there having been chatter around about the possibility of the league splitting into two divisions if a need arises to accommodate more teams - would this be considered a favourable move?

Any other comments - good, bad or indifferent.

Just curious - with six rounds gone and the interleague bye next week - what is the general feeling/opinions now about the former PDFNL clubs in the league?

Do people feel they are going better or worse than expected?

Has the revamped draw thrown up unexpected challenges or is everyone feeling settled with it now?

With there having been chatter around about the possibility of the league splitting into two divisions if a need arises to accommodate more teams - would this be considered a favourable move?

Any other comments - good, bad or indifferent.
I think the Picola League Clubs have done pretty well so far. Tungamah may have expected to go better but I think Katandra are more competitive than what people would have thought. Shepp East gave Barooga a good game on the weekend. I think if Shepp East were in it again next year and spent somewhere near the full cap they would be in the top 5 or so sides. Personally wouldn't like too see the League this big again but that might be fixed by AFL-VIC getting their own Picola Flavour league up with the potential of a couple of others.

I agree, & I’d think you’d find that the other 2 Picola league clubs could contend for finals If they were aware & had time to spend the extra $60 thousand that other clubs are spending.. probably would be sustainable for the smaller clubs, but I’m sure they’d be able to do it for a year or two.

I agree, & I’d think you’d find that the other 2 Picola league clubs could contend for finals If they were aware & had time to spend the extra $60 thousand that other clubs are spending.. probably would be sustainable for the smaller clubs, but I’m sure they’d be able to do it for a year or two.

Extra $60k? Isn't there only a $15k difference?
Picola League cap $105k
Murray League cap $120k

Also the extra money doesn't look to be helping Dookie as it's only $85k in the KDFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the Picola League Clubs have done pretty well so far. Tungamah may have expected to go better but I think Katandra are more competitive than what people would have thought. Shepp East gave Barooga a good game on the weekend. I think if Shepp East were in it again next year and spent somewhere near the full cap they would be in the top 5 or so sides. Personally wouldn't like too see the League this big again but that might be fixed by AFL-VIC getting their own Picola Flavour league up with the potential of a couple of others.
Are AFL Vic trying to get their own picola league up ?

Not sure there'd be to many MFL clubs spending $165k , I'd suggest the majority would be under $120k.

The cap is set at $150k I think. I’m just saying that there’s a big money difference currently which is no fault on any clubs. If next year the three clubs were in the comp, there’s a possibility they could make the 8 if they were able to recruit 5-6 $400 players.
By the way, I’d suggest there are 4-5 clubs spending a bit over $150k from what I’ve been told, but that’s their business.

The cap is set at $150k I think. I’m just saying that there’s a big money difference currently which is no fault on any clubs. If next year the three clubs were in the comp, there’s a possibility they could make the 8 if they were able to recruit 5-6 $400 players.
By the way, I’d suggest there are 4-5 clubs spending a bit over $150k from what I’ve been told, but that’s their business.
So are you saying it is reasonably common knowledge that 4-5 clubs are breaching the salary cap ?

Never said common knowledge. From what I’ve heard from speaking to a guy who had been told so. Never said it was gospel though.
What clubs pay is their choice.
Do you think those 3 clubs could make the 8 if they were paying the $150k?

Are AFL Vic trying to get their own picola league up ?
When the 4 teams left they were trying to recruit a couple of extra Clubs from the Kyabram League to format a League so at a guess I'd say they would start again trying to mould the 4 ex Picola Clubs along with any other current Picola League Clubs they are able to entice plus a KD Club or two and there would be the League.

Never said common knowledge. From what I’ve heard from speaking to a guy who had been told so. Never said it was gospel though.
What clubs pay is their choice.
Do you think those 3 clubs could make the 8 if they were paying the $150k?
I think it's irrelevant as I doubt the 3 ex pdfnl clubs were spending the pdfnl cap so see no reason they would spend more if they had the additional cap room. Furthermore , I doubt all including the top 8 sides currently in the MFL would be spending near the MFL cap and suspect many would fit within the PDFNL' s cap. The events of this year have proved many things IMO.
The MFL senior sides aren't that higher a standard than the PDFNL clubs nor is there any significant difference between what were the NW and SE comps.
I do think it has also provided what regulation / delegation system would look like and that is that although the senior grades may be near each other , there is a significant difference in juniors , netball and reserves.
Going forward I think we'll see the difference grow between clubs in towns with and without high schools , clubs away from major cities and clubs whose town are significantly based on the rural sector.
I can see in the future that over the whole clubs there could be 4 divisions amongst the current MFL clubs with Cobram , Mul, Moama, United , Barooga, Nathalia, Numurkah being alot stronger as a whole club than Deni , Finley , Rumba , Congupna then Tunga and Shepp East with Tonny and Katandra a step further away and nearer to suiting current PDFNL clubs.
The two middle teir are the difficult ones as generally they'll be way to strong for the bottom teir yet some of the sides will cop some touch ups by the top teir.

Last edited:
I think it's irrelevant as I doubt the 3 ex pdfnl clubs were spending the pdfnl cap so see no reason they would spend more if they had the additional cap room. Furthermore , I doubt all including the top 8 sides currently in the MFL would be spending near the MFL cap and suspect many would fit within the PDFNL' s cap. The events of this year have proved many things IMO.
The MFL senior sides aren't that higher a standard than the PDFNL clubs nor is there any significant difference between what were the NW and SE comps.
I do think it has also provided what regulation / delegation system would look like and that is that although the senior grades may be near each other , there is a significant difference in juniors , netball and reserves.
Going forward I think we'll see the difference grow between clubs in towns with and without high schools , clubs away from major cities and clubs whose town are significantly based on the rural sector.
I can see in the future that over the whole clubs there could be 4 divisions amongst the current MFL clubs with Cobram , Mul, Moama, United , Barooga, Nathalia, Numurkah being alot stronger as a whole club than Deni , Finley , Rumba , Congupna then Tunga and Shepp East with Tonny and Katandra a step further away and nearer to suiting current PDFNL clubs.
The two middle teir are the difficult ones as generally they'll be way to strong for the bottom teir yet some of the sides will cop some touch ups by the top teir.

Can you please clarify - you talk of 4 divisions then divide the MFL teams into 3 groupings and mention current PDFNL clubs - are you thinking these all could/should combine under the guise of one 4 division league in the future?
It would be an interesting concept as currently although the MFL is affiliated with AFL GM and PDFNL obviously isn't, it is apparent I believe that both leagues have a long term goal to continue to run competitions administered independently of AFL GM, with the whole affiliation issue being independently of that. Strength in unity and numbers

Can you please clarify - you talk of 4 divisions then divide the MFL teams into 3 groupings and mention current PDFNL clubs - are you thinking these all could/should combine under the guise of one 4 division league in the future?
It would be an interesting concept as currently although the MFL is affiliated with AFL GM and PDFNL obviously isn't, it is apparent I believe that both leagues have a long term goal to continue to run competitions administered independently of AFL GM, with the whole affiliation issue being independently of that. Strength in unity and numbers
I listed 4 groupings of current MFL clubs based on location and schooling and didn't mention any current PDFNL clubs. I suggested that the clubs in the last grouping would be closest to current PDFNL clubs.
Never suggested nor intended to suggest a 4 division league .

I listed 4 groupings of current MFL clubs based on location and schooling and didn't mention any current PDFNL clubs. I suggested that the clubs in the last grouping would be closest to current PDFNL clubs.
Never suggested nor intended to suggest a 4 division league .

Not to change the subject but was anyone else surprised by the interleague results??.... I wasn't at the game but I expected a much closer result...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back